First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I got an alignment on my R1T and the ties rotated. Ever since I got my truck back it feels like I am having to fight the steering like when you are in lane keep but then steer a little bit and it lets you have control back. It just feels like I have to "fight" the steering wheel all the time like its getting "caught" for a better lack of explanation.

I have almost 47k miles now. Just did a 1,200 mile road trip and was hoping this would go away but its really annoying and I have to constantly work to keep in my lane going straight. I really don't want to have to go back and not have my truck AGAIN for long periods of time as the service center is painfully slow in San Diego.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have not restarted my truck and wanted to get some feedback from forum members before I do that. I am afraid if I reset and it does go away then it might come back and I have nothing to show the service center.

If I contact Rivian they will just tell me to bring it in.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thoughts on taking it elsewhere? Also, what tires/wheels do you have? When I have 20" ATs on, both Pirelli and Falkens, mine leans right pretty good. But with 20" AS tires, it's straight and smooth as butter.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Are you noticing pulling to one side or another? Or are you noticing that the R1 drifts all over the place in the lane, and you keep using to nudge it back into place?

My old alignment was pulling right, and Rivian said it was “within spec”. After A different service center did another alignment, magically, no more pulling to left or right, but they left toe practically at zero so now I’m constantly fighting to keep the R1T tracking straight. With near zero toe, any deviation in the road causes the truck to shift around.

I have new tires going on in a few weeks and will be having a 3rd party shop mount, balance, and perform another alignment.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Take it back in, ask for before and after alignment specs. Also you can check distance between center of wheel to wheel arch trim at all 4 corners of the vehicle. Do this after you have driven the vehicle for 5-10 minutes. The ride height should be similar at all four corners. Make sure your on a level surface. If its way off then you might have another issue that is causing the truck to pull.

Also, try to find a completely flat surface such as a smooth parking lot. Mostly all roads have a crown so aren't a good way to test. Let go of the wheel and see if it tracks straight or pulls to one side. Once you have all your data submit your service ticket.

The truck is heavy so there will be some of this normally when the road is crowned. You should not have it on a completely flat surface and the alignment specs don't lie so make sure you ask for them.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I got an alignment on my R1T and the ties rotated. Ever since I got my truck back it feels like I am having to fight the steering like when you are in lane keep but then steer a little bit and it lets you have control back. It just feels like I have to "fight" the steering wheel all the time like its getting "caught" for a better lack of explanation.

I have almost 47k miles now. Just did a 1,200 mile road trip and was hoping this would go away but its really annoying and I have to constantly work to keep in my lane going straight. I really don't want to have to go back and not have my truck AGAIN for long periods of time as the service center is painfully slow in San Diego.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have not restarted my truck and wanted to get some feedback from forum members before I do that. I am afraid if I reset and it does go away then it might come back and I have nothing to show the service center.

If I contact Rivian they will just tell me to bring it in.
It took them 5 attempts to get my alignment right, finally good at 12k miles, I"m now at 21k miles and the wheel is off center, it pulls slightly to the left, and the wheel shakes like crazy over 85mph (fronts are original tires, rears are new tires)

My take is, they didn't do your alignment correctly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
The alignment is fine, it holds a good line but there is a bit of play, not too bad. The issue is that the motors attached to the steering seem to be trying to hold a line almost like its in lane keep but not fully engaged. Imagine you make a small correction and you have to turn just a little harder like the steering motors are engaged and you have to overcome them. I know that Rivian has code that compensates for the "crowing" in the roads and I am wondering if this is part of the issue where something is not providing the right data and the truck is trying to compensate all the time.

When I am not traveling so much I will make an appointment to bring my truck in and hopefully they can do some road tests to find the issue.

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
UPDATE on this. After the last system update and the included reboot this issue went away completely. Must have been something in the matrix that needed flushed out.
Sponsored