Sponsored

Reinforced Underbody Shield removed from my pre order

Here2there

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future R1T
Got another email today telling me that the underbody shield has been removed and I can't get it unless I select the All Terrain Upgrade for another $3850, paired with 20" tires, and a spare tire.

Prior to this, I had the R1T selected with 21" tires, max pack, and underbody shield. Even before this, I had the spare tire separately that got removed.

Still waiting for the powered tonneau cover option to come back on my order. But by the time I get my truck, it'll probably get stripped down to the base package....

Rivian R1T R1S Reinforced Underbody Shield removed from my pre order 1703130017357
Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
bummer, yeah pairing underbody shield was possible with any tires. but you know, unless you really take it rock-climbing, which sounds like you would not with your 21 tires, then the sheild is just extra weight to slow you down

OP
OP

Here2there

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future R1T
bummer, yeah pairing underbody shield was possible with any tires. but you know, unless you really take it rock-climbing, which sounds like you would not with your 21 tires, then the sheild is just extra weight to slow you down
My intent was to purchase the 21" for day to day use and slap on aftermarket 20" tires and rims whenever I go on those off roading kinds of trips. A lot more options to get 20" vs 21" still.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Got another email today telling me that the underbody shield has been removed and I can't get it unless I select the All Terrain Upgrade for another $3850, paired with 20" tires, and a spare tire.

Prior to this, I had the R1T selected with 21" tires, max pack, and underbody shield. Even before this, I had the spare tire separately that got removed.

Still waiting for the powered tonneau cover option to come back on my order. But by the time I get my truck, it'll probably get stripped down to the base package....

1703130017357.png
It is more than just the shield was but it is really a good deal.

The underbody was 2k, full size spare is 750, and 20 A/T was 2500 individually would be 5250 and you get it for 3850.

C12farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
Annoying that they are forcing people to pay for options like underbody shield if they have no use for it. They should be giving people every opportunity to cut out unwanted costs and choose the options we truly want.

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I have driven my sedan through gritted mountain roads. I have damage to the paint but wondered if underbody help up well. It did, but the experience also pushed me to get the underbody shield with 21s.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT

Ah… I should have known this was coming… and little doubt one of those emails would have had my name on it… had I not pulled the trigger on a unit from the shop 3 days ago. I also had the underbody shield on my desired (Max) configuration and originally had the spare tire and the Power Tonneau Cover until Rivian pulled those last two previously.

What I finally gave up on after a 2.5 year wait was the Power Tonneau Cover. Even with the recent redesign units beginning to be installed, with no word from Rivian and just no real faith that the PTC will ever be made available to me as part of my original, PRICE-PROTECTED configuration, I was done waiting.

I have watched the R1 Shop really closely, and VERY few Max R1Ts have appeared with 20” wheels (my pick) and even fewer also with an Underbody Shield… and of course ZERO with the spare tire. Until one appeared 3 days ago. And in my desired color/interior. But yeah.. via the All-Terrain Pkg… at the price you quoted. I caved… 2.5 years was as long as I could stand to wait. Luckily also got in under the wire on the ‘before year end’ deal on the ‘free Rivian Charger’ - my R1T is scheduled for delivery Dec. 30. I added the ($$$!) manual tonneau cover… grrr… under duress.
Life is short… I just want to drive…
Best of luck getting exactly what you want. Know you are not alone in your frustration.

Liz83

First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
I just received an email saying that they removed the underbody shield, is the same thing happening to anyone else?

Rivian R1T R1S Reinforced Underbody Shield removed from my pre order Screenshot_20231220_190038_Yahoo Mail

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I thought this happened a few months back. They removed the singular options for underbody shield and 20 inch wheels. Now all part of the all terrain package. Price ends up being better than selecting them individually from what I remember. I always thought it was weird to have 22s and underbody.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I thought this happened a few months back.
They did create the All-Terrain Upgrade package a few months ago, but I thought they still allowed pre-orders to add the shield a la carte, with any wheels, and without a spare.

This is the first I’ve heard of the shield being removed, but I haven’t had an active order since taking delivery of my R1S in 7/2023 so I’m admittedly a bit out of the loop. I configured my R1S preorder with the 20’s, shield, and no spare so I know they were allowing a la cart configurations back then - and the all-terrain package was also an option at the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Here2there

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future R1T
Ah… I should have known this was coming… and little doubt one of those emails would have had my name on it… had I not pulled the trigger on a unit from the shop 3 days ago. I also had the underbody shield on my desired (Max) configuration and originally had the spare tire and the Power Tonneau Cover until Rivian pulled those last two previously.

What I finally gave up on after a 2.5 year wait was the Power Tonneau Cover. Even with the recent redesign units beginning to be installed, with no word from Rivian and just no real faith that the PTC will ever be made available to me as part of my original, PRICE-PROTECTED configuration, I was done waiting.

I have watched the R1 Shop really closely, and VERY few Max R1Ts have appeared with 20” wheels (my pick) and even fewer also with an Underbody Shield… and of course ZERO with the spare tire. Until one appeared 3 days ago. And in my desired color/interior. But yeah.. via the All-Terrain Pkg… at the price you quoted. I caved… 2.5 years was as long as I could stand to wait. Luckily also got in under the wire on the ‘before year end’ deal on the ‘free Rivian Charger’ - my R1T is scheduled for delivery Dec. 30. I added the ($$$!) manual tonneau cover… grrr… under duress.
Life is short… I just want to drive…
Best of luck getting exactly what you want. Know you are not alone in your frustration.
Congrats on your delivery! I missed the pre order cut off by a couple weeks (April 2022). Have the binding agreement signed so not a total rush to get the truck but it's getting close with just one car in the household. Totally been there too when the camp shuttle, spare tire, and powered tonneau got removed.

Like @SANZC02 posted, yes the package is 'cheaper' BUT most of the time I'll run on 21" and when I do go out on rock crawls and tough terrain, I'll swap to the 20s (maybe half a dozen times a year?). I just don't need the 20" tires at the moment. The underbody shield option would've given me what I needed to go when the time comes. I had my guide put my order on hold since February of this year because I'm still waiting for the powered tonneau cover to come back as a factory option.

The rivian charger deal is pretty good. Glad you were able to capitalize on it!

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
…Totally been there too when the camp shuttle, spare tire, and powered tonneau got removed…
…I had my guide put my order on hold since February of this year because I'm still waiting for the powered tonneau cover to come back as a factory option…
Yeah, I’ve had my order on hold for over a year as well waiting for the PTC. It was that important to me given ‘work truck’ use (albeit retired guy ‘work’). I have a great similar operating (although non-powered) aluminum Retrax cover on my Ridgeline and I use it multiple times a week. I’m even considering pulling it off my Ridgeline before I trade it in (won’t get any extra for it) and ‘butchering’ it up DIY-style to see if I could mod it to fit the R1T. Unlikely, since no reasonable way to mod so as contain the Retrax’s rolled aluminum slats in the space Rivian stacks their slats (certainly not without warranty impacts). There are others holding out for a factory PTC, and I really hope it comes for those continuing to be willing to wait.

But some after market options on other things Rivian has taken away are picking up steam… check out Box God’s stuff… I’ve already received the water tank (REALLY nice engineering and quality) and waiting for gear tunnel sled and kitchen.
https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/

Last edited:

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

I'm guessing OP might be Canadian. Up until last night, we Canadians were still able to select the 20" tires, RUS, and spare tire individually, even though this change was done months ago in the US.

Sadly, I too received this email last night, although because I already had the 20" wheels configured, my email indicated they automatically added the RUS (via the new All Terrain package), and therefore my price went up.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Yep, I got it as well as an original order holder (Pre-March price hike) and I am pretty pissed that Rivian sneaked a price increase like this for us.

And in typical Rivian fashion they sent this bad news late at night yesterday, so they know they are screwing up their customers.

When they offered this as an option for all original pre-order holders, I jumped on it because I liked having the option of just the underbody shield with the tow hooks, without needing the off road tires.

Now if I need the shield I have to spend an extra $5000 (CAD) with the offroad tires.

I am pretty pieved right now. I was on the fence about going ahead with the order for a bunch of reasons, but looks like they are making it easy now.
Sponsored