Regen in conserve vs AP

Rtpdeacon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is there a difference in the amount of charge returned to the battery in regen mode vs AP? For example if you were to drive up a mountain in conserve and descend the mountain in AP, would you return more energy to the battery since you would have 4 motors generating charge?
Sponsored

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not sure about the actual power, but the regen feels the same. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell if it was halved. Rivian doesn't (yet) do brake blending, so I assume it's the same.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Since the rear motors are physically decoupled when in conserve, yes, you would have less regen capacity. That is, unless the truck re-engages the rear motors during regen events, which is highly unlikely.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Since the rear motors are physically decoupled when in conserve, yes, you would have less regen capacity. That is, unless the truck re-engages the rear motors during regen events, which is highly unlikely.
100% agree - There are times coming off the highway that I'm like "WHOAAAA no regen!"

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure about the actual power, but the regen feels the same. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell if it was halved. Rivian doesn't (yet) do brake blending, so I assume it's the same.
It's not halved but it doesn't feel quite as strong. Most of the braking power is in the front wheels of a typical vehicle anyway, so you aren't losing much.

Hard to say which mode would be more efficient at returning energy to the battery though.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is basically halved. The driver display even shows you this By greying out the bottom half of the regen display.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
It's not halved but it doesn't feel quite as strong. Most of the braking power is in the front wheels of a typical vehicle anyway, so you aren't losing much.

Hard to say which mode would be more efficient at returning energy to the battery though.
I’ve heard this said before (most braking in front) and I’ve never understood it. Not saying it’s not true, just seeking to learn why.

To me it’s akin to people saying there’s a difference in whether you push or pull a load. Why isn’t it the same?

Why don’t the front and rear brakes share the load equally?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ve heard this said before (most braking in front) and I’ve never understood it. Not saying it’s not true, just seeking to learn why.

To me it’s akin to people saying there’s a difference in whether you push or pull a load. Why isn’t it the same?

Front tires have more weight on them under braking because it shifts forward. Forward momentum is trying to turn to angular momentum because you are stopping from the bottom side of the vehicle instead of from the middle.

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler

I will offer the simple answer to help understand it and then look at the physics....

Simple analogy, remember riding your bike as a kid... Which brake felt stronger front or back?

Physics answer.... When you use brakes the vehicle weight shifts forward due to inertia. This puts more weight on the front and less on the rear. Road friction is proportional to weight (mass) and therefore so is braking power.... This is seen in all driving buy is at an extreme going downhill where your rear brakes are almost useless....

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Front tires have more weight on them under braking because it shifts forward. Forward momentum is trying to turn to angular momentum because you are stopping from the bottom side of the vehicle instead of from the middle.
Never thought about the angular momentum. That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

Sponsored

sb335xi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 BMW M5C
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Based on the interview with RJS on Munro, the front motors have a different gear ratio - which does explain some of the difference as well..

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate

Like the others said it is because the weight shifts forward during braking.
But it is notable that the Rivian has a low center of Gravity and about 50/50 front to rear weight distribution. Most cars and especially pickup trucks have more weight on the front wheels to begin with.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The regen definitely feels more grabby in AP vs Conserve, IMO. Could just be that I’m feeling the torque grabbiness and not brake grabbiness. (Sorry to use such highly technical terms…)

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Like the others said it is because the weight shifts forward during braking.
But it is notable that the Rivian has a low center of Gravity and about 50/50 front to rear weight distribution. Most cars and especially pickup trucks have more weight on the front wheels to begin with.
That’s the answer I never understood. It’s not like the truck’s body is shifting at all. It’s all bolted together. The part most people don’t explain, perhaps because it is obvious to them, is that the shift is not so much happening back to front, but rotationally. That was what turned the light bulb on for me.

The front wheels become the center of a wheel of momentum because the center of mass is higher than the wheel center. As the truck brakes, the mass wants to rotate around the front wheel, lessening the significance of rear braking and increasing the significance of front braking, because of course the front brakes are now countering forward momentum and angular momentum.

So, many thanks. I was almost there. Just needed a nudge!
Sponsored