Recommendations for home charger?

Vegoelectric

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volkswagen ID4
I'd say don't go crazy for now if interested in a future Rivian bidirectional V2H charger they said will come. Using a simple Juicebox here for now with a NEMA 14-50 plug.
I agree with this. Wait for Rivian bidirectional. Also have a Juicebox on a 14-50. Check your local utility company, ours was free after installation and first use. PG&E with Sonoma Clean Power is what I have. If you are thinking of getting a bidirectional in the future, having the plug in/not hardwire may make it easier to sell later I think. The supplied Rivian 14-50 charger is a 32amp I believe (slightly slower), so if you can't get a free one I'd wait for V2H and use what you have while you wait.
Sponsored

marffeus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What's the advantage of a bidirectional charger?

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We initially went with just installing a 14-50 outlet in a convenient location and using the portable charger for her Telsa. Before I got the Rivian I added a Clipper Creek / Enphase dual charger plugged into that. It is only 42A- max for 14-50- but it provides the convenience that we can hook up both vehicles before going to bed and it splits the amps until one is full and then charges the other at the maximum. Very convenient.

Anyway, I suppose my suggestions would boil down to two. 1) do you plan to have multiple EVs then maybe a dual charger makes sense 2) would you rather hardwire a specific charger on a >50A circuit or just do a 14-50 and have options.

Last edited:

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
We have a couple Wallboxes and I had a ChargePoint flex, nothing wrong with ChargePoint but didn’t like the UI and lack of multiple users without sharing an account. Wallbox also allows loading sharing if you need that in the future. If you don’t care about the smart features, clipper creek is rock solid have used at Rivian SC and hotels.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Another thing to consider is Autel if the charger is potentially available to others and you want to bill them. I think they are one of the few to offer that feature.

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I received a Rivian EVSE but before I could get it installed I came across a private sale on two Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSEs. I had them installed as load share, one in the garage and one outside. The load share feature is really the only reason I went with the Wallbox over the Rivian.

OP, if you're interested, I have my NIB, unopened Rivian EVSE for sale in the Market forum.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Would love to just get the Rivian, but $800 just seems crazy given the prices of other well reviewed chargers.

this is my first ev so would love to know if you all have a recommendation. Thx!
We bought a LECTRON 32a for a 14-50 plug for our RAV4 Prime 2 years ago. It has been outside 24/7 - 365 through rain, hail, a little snow (we don't live in a snowy area but will get some every now and then), and it has worked flawlessly. It has charged our RAV4 Prime our Volvo XC40 Recharge (sold it) and now our R1T and works amazing. It is only a 32a so it gives us about 16 miles or charge per hour which for us is perfectly fine since we charge overnight and we are at 80% the next morning.

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model YP, Rivian R1T (Limestone, 20" AT)

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Don't use this with the R1T and an Lectron adaptor, it will fry your R1T, I'm living this nightmare now.
No adapter required for the J1772 Tesla Wall Connector. This unit has a J1772 plug (not the NACS plug that comes on the standard TWC).

I read about your issue briefly....yeah that's not good. Shouldn't have happened. I definitely wouldn't recommend adapters for permanent home charging. As your issue highlights it's another failure point.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Another rec for Emporia charger! Worked and looked great so far. Can't beat the price either

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Is there any estimated timeline for bidirectional? I would guess its not a high priority but hope I am wrong…

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I don't recall any dates. Installing V2G at your home can get expensive. Will be interesting to see what it's able to do.

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
64c.impala, 75mgb, 93D.Dakota, 00Jeep,14 QX70,22R1
Clubs

We have a Rivian Wall charger (hardwired) and a Grizzl-e level 2. both work great. The Grizzl-e is a plug in, so can move with us. Using a 14-50 plug (comes in 2 plug types). Just found out FPL Florida Power & Light) is offering a 'free' charger for just $39/mo. and unlimited charging if you charge nights and weekends.
Sponsored