Sponsored

WooHoo!

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 FJ
Does the rivian have to be delivered in 2023 to file an amended return for 20220 to get the tax credit?? Can my R1S be delivered in 2024 which is possible and still get the tax credit due to having a contract and commitment in early 2020? Thx much, JB
Delivery date does not matter. It can be in 2024 and you still qualify for the 2022 credit if you had a binding contract to purchase before August 16, 2022. However, if you get a 2024 model, Rivian has to tell the IRS that that model is eligible for the 2022 credit. They recently did so for 2023 models delivered pursuant to a binding contract dated prior to August 16, 2022.
Sponsored

WooHoo!

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 FJ
Can we file the amended return by ourselves?
You can file the amended return yourself, it is true. However, if you paid a professional to file the original return, and all the numbers are in their system, it is way easier to have them file the amended return for you. If you filed yourself with TurboTax, you can amend it yourself with TurboTax. But switching methods for the same tax year basically means re-entering all the data for the whole return. So I would stick with whatever method was used for the original return.

Lax

First Name
Lax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hi All, I took delivery of my R1S on June 6, 2023. Yesterday (7/6/2023), I received my $7,500 tax refund (EV credit) on my amended 2022 return. I filed my 2022 amended return electronically using TurboTax on June 12, 2023. I wasted a bunch of time searching blogs/discussion forums on how to complete an amended return using the IRS transition rule, which is not clear on the IRS page regarding the transition rule. I finally read relevant sections of IRS instructions for Form 8936 (Rev. January 2023), which provided clear instructions (i.e., what date to enter as the delivery date...hint, it's not the actual delivery date. It's 08/15/2022). Like Ice Cube says (revealing my age), [today] was a good day.

Lax

First Name
Lax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

So What I understand that Delivery date should be the date you placed the order on line with Rivian, to qualify for the incentive?

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
I got mine last week as well, then used all of it to buy $rivn

Sponsored

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
So What I understand that Delivery date should be the date you placed the order on line with Rivian, to qualify for the incentive?
Not exactly. The delivery date, for federal tax credit purposes, is the date you signed the "binding sales agreement" with Rivian. BSA were signed prior to August 16, 2022.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I filed my 2022 taxes with Turbo Tax, and it was and easy process to amend them. I did so about 1-2 weeks ago and haven't seen any rebate checks yet.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Mine was received on 3/8 and still hasn't moved past "Received".
Similar for me, received 3/21. But mine was a paper filing by mail so probably take the full 16-20 weeks.

drb19927

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4, R1T delivery anticipated 02/2023
Mine was received on 3/8 and still hasn't moved past "Received".
Same situation. Turbotax filed on 3/9. Haven't heard anything. Called IRS last week based on the recommendation in the "where's my ammended return tool" and she said it just defaults to that message then you hit 16 weeks. Only thing to do is keep waiting.

Sponsored

gerrylum

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director of Marketing
Clubs

Mine was received on 6/12 and hasn’t moved passed “Received”.
Same situation. Turbotax filed on 3/9. Haven't heard anything. Called IRS last week based on the recommendation in the "where's my ammended return tool" and she said it just defaults to that message then you hit 16 weeks. Only thing to do is keep waiting.
Yep, I did the same thing, but just got a recording that gave me the same info I already knew. I figured it just changed to that current message after the 16 weeks elapsed.

Wojo

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
My accountant screwed up an only listed $2500 as the amount for the EV tax credit. I caught the error and had them change the return to reflect the proper amount of $7500. A few weeks later I received the full amount.

Mnalls

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas & eGolf
Occupation
Insurance
Hi All, I took delivery of my R1S on June 6, 2023. Yesterday (7/6/2023), I received my $7,500 tax refund (EV credit) on my amended 2022 return. I filed my 2022 amended return electronically using TurboTax on June 12, 2023. I wasted a bunch of time searching blogs/discussion forums on how to complete an amended return using the IRS transition rule, which is not clear on the IRS page regarding the transition rule. I finally read relevant sections of IRS instructions for Form 8936 (Rev. January 2023), which provided clear instructions (i.e., what date to enter as the delivery date...hint, it's not the actual delivery date. It's 08/15/2022). Like Ice Cube says (revealing my age), [today] was a goo
Hi All, I took delivery of my R1S on June 6, 2023. Yesterday (7/6/2023), I received my $7,500 tax refund (EV credit) on my amended 2022 return. I filed my 2022 amended return electronically using TurboTax on June 12, 2023. I wasted a bunch of time searching blogs/discussion forums on how to complete an amended return using the IRS transition rule, which is not clear on the IRS page regarding the transition rule. I finally read relevant sections of IRS instructions for Form 8936 (Rev. January 2023), which provided clear instructions (i.e., what date to enter as the delivery date...hint, it's not the actual delivery date. It's 08/15/2022). Like Ice Cube says (revealing my age), [today] was a good day.
Do you have a link to where you found the helpful instructions? I take delivery next week and need to file my amended return. I hate tax stuff, I always feel like I'm screwing something up and going to get flagged for audit from Uncle Biden.

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
Need some clarification on dates to list on my amendment. My binding agreement is dated 08/11/2022. Turbotax asks for "Date Acquired" and "Date Placed in Service". Is it 8/11/2022 for both?

yancantcook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My accountant says he can’t efile the amended return by the “VIN is not accepted” because car is too new by their software. Has anyone heard of this before?

“
It seems like the validation is from Department of transportation. They have a validation formula for it. It is saying the VIN doesn’t pass it.“

He wants me to print the entire 30 page IRS return with amendments and file by mail again.

Not sure if filing amended return via paper is gonna take a lot longer to process or what?

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored