Sponsored

Range Discrepancy - Driver Display vs. Navigation

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cherokee XJ, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 2023 R1S LE
I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know why there is significant range discrepancy from the driver, main battery display and the navigation range? i.e., when starting a 200mi trip the driver display might show 300 miles of range while the navigation says I will run out of range around 180miles...
Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

The range estimation outside of navigation is assuming "optimal driving conditions," such as efficient speeds (~50mph), low wind, flat ground, etc.

The range estimation within navigation is actually taking into account highway speeds, past driving data, and (I believe) topography. It doesn't take weather into account, still, so that can eat up some miles if you're not prepared for it.

In short: the EPA estimate (300 miles per charge) is under optimal conditions, where the navigation estimate is considering real world driving.

OP
OP

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. That was my assumption, but the navigation estimate is insanely conservative. I’ve started ignoring it altogether.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

It is conservative.. I tested it on a 4k mile trip in December(Minnesota to Washington state and back) and found that starting out each session the navigation estimate was way off. It would usually sync up by my destination, but I ended up doing a bit of my own math to figure out my range.

Keep in mind that it also takes battery temp into count and you gain efficiency in the nav calculation once you’ve been rolling a bit.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Thanks. That was my assumption, but the navigation estimate is insanely conservative. I’ve started ignoring it altogether.
I wouldn't ignore it as I've found it to be surprisingly accurate on longer road trips. And I would always rather be conservative when traveling cross country than get stuck somewhere without a charge.

Sponsored

Vserra

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '19 CX-9
Occupation
Attorney
I agree. Even driving in cold temps if I simply do the math in my head - range minus miles to destination - that is way more accurate than the trip calculator. Last few winter trips (even some uphill) miles at destination were not more than 10 miles off that simple in-my-head math calculation and the trip calculator miles just pushes closer to that the more you drive. It makes a huge difference on a long trip figuring out where to charge.

Reactions: LHB
OP
OP

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree. Even driving in cold temps if I simply do the math in my head - range minus miles to destination - that is way more accurate than the trip calculator. Last few winter trips (even some uphill) miles at destination were not more than 10 miles off that simple in-my-head math calculation and the trip calculator miles just pushes closer to that the more you drive. It makes a huge difference on a long trip figuring out where to charge.
Yup, I'm finding the same. It's more pronounced in cold weather trips (up/back ski trips in particular)

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Does anyone know why there is significant range discrepancy from the driver, main battery display and the navigation range?
The driver display is just a "fuel gauge". Just like an ICE vehicle - it only tells you how full the battery is. If you use the % display this is obvious. If you use the miles setting then it is showing you battery % times the EPA range for your current drive mode. Again, just like an ICE vehicle - this has no idea of where you will be driving or how you will be driving.

I strongly recommend you go into your settings and switch that to reading % rather than miles. You can also set it to read both % and miles. But having it display miles only is a little misleading because it makes you think that is supposed to be a range - it is not a range.

The miles remaining on the center screen when navigating is the number that uses the known factors about your drive and your driving history to estimate what you battery usage will be for the specific drive you have planned. In my experience, it is conservative, so you will almost always have more range remaining than it estimates.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, this drives me crazy. I have a 77 mile trip I take several times a month. The estimate of range impact is usually off by 20-25 miles, conservative. I also did a 35 mile trip last weekend, and the estimate was dead on. In other cases it has been off by 20%.

I pre-condition for the departure, assume 2.0 mi/kwh, keep it at 70 mph or slower, and do the math in my head.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I wouldn't ignore it as I've found it to be surprisingly accurate on longer road trips. And I would always rather be conservative when traveling cross country than get stuck somewhere without a charge.
Agree! Almost got burned by doing my own estimate. Now I pay attention to the range in the NAV - sometimes it increases, sometimes it decreases, but it synchs as I get closer to the destination.
Sponsored