Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Yukon Denali XL, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Physician
Clubs

Hey Rivi’ites (is that a word?)!

Got a random question and any advice is welcome. Ordered a R1S for my wife Jan 1, 2021, assuming, at best a year from now. Hoping to wait it out for a 3 row Max Pack if that ends up being a possibility even.
In the meantime we sold her GMC Yukon XL Denali for a good deal recently jumping on a good used market. We bought my FIL’s 2008 Jeep Wrangler this summer to get by until arrival to go along with my ‘19 Ram. Given my Limited Ram is very fancy and awesome to drive, according to my loving wife, I basically let her take the truck and I’ve been rocking the Jeep. Turns out she doesn’t like driving a truck after all (surprise) and she isn’t stoked about driving the jeep for potentially over a year. If there was a potential end in site she could suck it up.

The question…I’m fine buying a temporary car for her within reason but explained I do not want to take a huge bath on the car when we resell when the Rivian eventually arrives. Keeping in mind she is reasonable but has higher end tastes, any thoughts on options to look into for the next year or so? She seems okay with SUVs or sedans within reason. She drives a lot (16-18k a year) as we have two kids in school that she drives as well as many activities for the kids. She has been looking into used Model 3’s, and I’ve been looking into new 3’s or used S’s given the debate over what makes more sense. Not set on a Tesla but would love to get her into something with better mileage or an EV. I’ll open it up to thoughts or advice.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

Got a random question and any advice is welcome. Ordered a R1S for my wife Jan 1, 2021, assuming, at best a year from now. Hoping to wait it out for a 3 row Max Pack if that ends up being a possibility even.
In the meantime we sold her GMC Yukon XL Denali for a good deal recently jumping on a good used market. We bought my FIL’s 2008 Jeep Wrangler this summer to get by until arrival to go along with my ‘19 Ram. Given my Limited Ram is very fancy and awesome to drive, according to my loving wife, I basically let her take the truck and I’ve been rocking the Jeep. Turns out she doesn’t like driving a truck after all (surprise) and she isn’t stoked about driving the jeep for potentially over a year. If there was a potential end in site she could suck it up.

The question…I’m fine buying a temporary car for her within reason but explained I do not want to take a huge bath on the car when we resell when the Rivian eventually arrives. Keeping in mind she is reasonable but has higher end tastes, any thoughts on options to look into for the next year or so? She seems okay with SUVs or sedans within reason. She drives a lot (16-18k a year) as we have two kids in school that she drives as well as many activities for the kids. She has been looking into used Model 3’s, and I’ve been looking into new 3’s or used S’s given the debate over what makes more sense. Not set on a Tesla but would love to get her into something with better mileage or an EV. I’ll open it up to thoughts or advice.
If she has "higher end tastes", not sure a Tesla is a good fit. My wife found the ride characteristics, interior quality and amenities, plus overall fit and finish a bit lacking. Since it would be her car, hers was the opinion that mattered. If she hasn't test driven a Model 3, that should be on the "to do" list.

Buying high (the used market today) and selling later has the makings of a big hit. From what I've seen, used Model 3 prices are no bargain.

Form factor, range and budget are big parts of the equation. A Yukon XL to a Model 3 is quite a change, so not sure what her "hot buttons" are. Room for 2 kids of unknown age narrows it only a little.

A used i3 might fit - or not. Many other possibilities on both the used and new market but too little info to narrow it much.

National Drive Electric Week events are usually a good place to see a variety of different EVs in one place and talk to owners about EVs in general and/or specific questions about their EV.
https://driveelectricweek.org/attend

Unfortunately, there are a lot fewer events this year due to a variety of reasons.

OP
OP

MooreND23

First Name
MicHael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Yukon Denali XL, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Physician
Clubs

Thanks so much. Sorry I should have given more background. When I say higher end tastes I should have explained that a Tesla isn’t her preferred car, but she would be okay with it for a year or so. She wants a Range Rover but I’ve dodged that so far, love them but not for our purposes. We have considered the hybrid Defender but probably only going that route if there are major changes with the Rivian. I’d be fine driving the Wrangler and her the truck for however long but may not be a fun household if it takes too long ?.
The change in car style isn’t a big issue given long term she will get an SUV back so she is amenable to a sedan.
My hope is to wait things out until the car buyers market gets a bit better. Just looking for general options assuming a more reasonable used market.

kiddos ages are 4 & 6, typical use is running errands, soccer practice, occasional trips to eastern Washington 5.5 hrs away.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The Ram and Jeep may not be exactly what your wife is dreaming of, but is she sure that they're not better or at least equivalent to a lower cost, temp car that also likely wouldn't be what she's dreaming of? Just from what you said, it sounds like she likes your Ram and may just need time to adjust to driving it. With used prices being crazy and new cars being often unobtainable, it's worth considering whether the alternative is actually even better.

That aside, are you considering leases at all? With the used market being crazy, maybe you sell the Jeep, get a 2yr lease, and at least know concretely what you're on the hook for rather than just hoping you don't eat your shorts on a short term buy.

Third option: Sell the Ram, buy a Range Rover/etc. for your wife, drive the Jeep yourself, scrap the R1S plans, and get an R1T for yourself when the time comes!

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
this is tough. I had a similar issue for myself and landed on the ID.4. Partially because I couldn't stomach the current used car prices. I figured I'd be better off trying to take some cover with the tax credit and then hoping the used car market is relatively robust by the time I sell. have you looked at a Mach e? We considered an e-tron, but used ones jumped so much in price it obviously wasn't worth it.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I just took a 2 year lease on a Mazda SUVl, but 16K a year would kill this option instantly.

Buying uncertified Tesla is a financial suicide, so you might have to bite the bullet on this one my friend, get yourself a used Prius for now, or if you want new, get a Venza.

GENVT

First Name
Gail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mazda CX9 Ordered R1S
I'm trying to keep my 07 Mazda CX9 going until I can get an all-electric 7-seater, my preference is the R1S, my husband wants the X, we'll have to see which comes first and make a call then. With a small head gasket leak I'm on borrowed time before it might not be worth repairing.

Have you explored the Volvo Care subscription program as a shortish term option, you can cancel after 5 months? Not sure we're there yet given that my husband is now working remotely and I can use his car if needed.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Has anyone tried this? ? wondering of this is a good tool or just a commercial...

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Have you explored the Volvo Care subscription program as a shortish term option, you can cancel after 5 months? Not sure we're there yet given that my husband is now working remotely and I can use his car if needed.
This is what I did.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Don't be afraid to go higher mileage. Modern cars last well beyond 100k miles but buyers still tend to balk anywhere near that high. Plenty of low-maintenance life in a 70k+ used car from a decent make and you'll lose a lot less value if you have to hold on to it for a year or two. Mazdas have lux interiors, are fun to drive and their certified cutoff is 80k. My 2015 CX-9 has terrible mileage but that was the last year they used a Ford V6 they used to put in F150s. 2016+ should be a lot more fuel efficient. Aside from that and the hilariously ancient navigation system, I love everything else about it and it has very similar dimensions to an R1S. Shockingly nimble for a mid-size SUV and it takes pot-holes and excessive speed bumps like a champ.

Model 3 and Y used prices seem particularly inflated lately. If you ultimately go with either I'd spend some time googling for periods of upsurges in quality complaints. They tend to hit at the end of fiscal quarters. Maybe shoot for years that had fewer of those. I'd love a Model S if not for the R1T but I'm of the opinion Tesla tends to cut corners on QC and service any time they have quarterly goals they're worried about falling short on. Also, Tesla is not known for posh interiors.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Our General advice: don't buy a used Tesla right now because they are over priced. Lol

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Sounds like she drives a lot. Depending on the average daily mileage, a PHEV might be a really good option. It's easy to charge at home since the batteries tend to be smaller and you could go weeks or months without having to gas up. There are a lot of different PHEV options out there so there should be something that meets her needs/wants.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s

Look at the highest ends of the Highlander hybrid. Green and can't be that much less fancy/luxiourious (sp) than a Yukon.

rainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser, CR-V
Wanted to piggy back on this thread instead of creating a new one. I’m going through the same thought process as OP, but with different circumstances.

My SO and I have a 2016 Land Cruiser and a 2015 CR-V. We do a lot of outdoor activities and have a big dog, so the LC easily handles these situations. The CR-V is mostly used around the city.

I have a deposit down on an R1T and current insane Land Cruiser prices are making me question what I should do. I still owe $18k on the LC and $4 gas in Seattle makes filling up a tough scene. The good news is that neither of us commute and we mostly drive the LC on the weekends. In all honesty, it’s more capable than we need 90% of the time but we love the reliability and the ability to go anywhere.

I could sell or trade in the LC without losing any money (we bought it last year). We’d then pick up a cheaper off road capable vehicle for the next couple of years until the R1T is delivered. Or make do with the CR-V only for now. The driving forces of selling are not having a car payment and uncertainty around used car prices for fuel inefficient vehicles in the next few years.

Chances are good I’ll keep the LC because I know I’d miss it once it’s gone, but would love to get some other thoughts.
Sponsored