Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Keep in mind that RAN is generally there facilitate traveling to those locations. I'd expect them to install a bunch of waypoint chargers at trailheads or ski resorts where you're likely sitting around for 2+ hours. They're also limited by utility infrastructure in many areas.

I totally agree getting a RAN in near Packwood or Ashford would be great, just like getting the charger up on highway 20 that they have planned would be nice.

At this point though, I just want to actually get these out and available. Given the congestion that I'm seeing at EA (and stations going down), putting them where they'll be used the most seems like a pretty important first step.
A couple of waypoint chargers installed at ski resorts and trailheads won't matter at all. If you can't rely on charging you have to arrive with sufficient charge to return. Waypoint chargers will be occupied by PHEVs before you arrive.

Paying for Waypoints suggest Rivian is clueless in the actual operation of an EV for travel.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
A couple of waypoint chargers installed at ski resorts and trailheads won't matter at all. If you can't rely on charging you have to arrive with sufficient charge to return. Waypoint chargers will be occupied by PHEVs before you arrive.

Paying for Waypoints suggest Rivian is clueless in the actual operation of an EV for travel.
Yeah, I disagree. Sticking 4 RAN chargers isn't going to do much for a large number of people. You'll have it full of random charging to 100%. And I generally don't want to sit and babysit my vehicle for 40 minutes at a ski resort. Give me a large number of L2 chargers so I have a good chance of getting one and can charge it for 4 to 6 hours while out skiing.

You're also not running the required power to most trailheads for 300kw of power.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Yeah, I disagree. Sticking 4 RAN chargers isn't going to do much for a large number of people. You'll have it full of random charging to 100%. And I generally don't want to sit and babysit my vehicle for 40 minutes at a ski resort. Give me a large number of L2 chargers so I have a good chance of getting one and can charge it for 4 to 6 hours while out skiing.

You're also not running the required power to most trailheads for 300kw of power.
Rivian isn't installing a large number of Waypoint chargers anywhere. Waypoint is either a cynical or ignorant effort. It's highly desirable only to the inexperienced. But regardless, Waypoints will be almost entirely occupied by non-Rivians and not available at busy times

I don't think you understand EV charging and travel. Ski resorts need plug in because a cold soaked battery won't take regen on the downhill exit from the area. Typical level 2 will not provide both battery heating and significantly added miles.

Ski resorts have a problem because EV ownership correlates positively with their desirable upscale customers. Ski resorts spend a lot of money clearing roads of snow because they have learned that customers won't come if the drive is hazardous. This is particulary true of ski areas that attract pacific coast clients.

Rivian would be stupid to provide waypoints to these commercial locations. But they do treat money like a frat house that found an extra $500. So why not add a few.

Also, ski resorts aren't going to have level 3 charging. They don't have gas stations now. Gateways to these area, where transmission costs are reasonable, need level 3.

Rivian also needs 800V because a 40 minute charge is too long to be competitive with other low efficiency EVs.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Because EA is so unreliable, 50/50 that it would be working.
Charged at EA stations up and down the east coast over 30 times with three different EVs and never had a single significant issue.

It is kinda expensive, but still cheaper than liquified dinosaurs. Was hoping for free holiday charging this weekend but alas.

Happy 4th everyone!

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That would have been handy a few weeks ago whe. I was going by there.
It looks like the RAN charging station in Crescent, OR has been ready to go from an inspection standpoint since 04/26/22:

Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 15-06-50 4220 Electrical Service-04-26-2022-0331-InspectionResultRepo...png

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think you understand EV charging and travel. Ski resorts need plug in because a cold soaked battery won't take regen on the downhill exit from the area.
Your battery should not be cold soaked upon arrival at a mountain.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Holyoke, MA

Thrilled to see one in Mass! But we desperately need charging in northern new england where there are no CCS fast chargers in most of maine and northern NH where all the great dirt roads and camp sites are

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Drove by the Madras, OR location (215 Cherry Ln - Plateau Travel Plaza) and there was zero evidence of any construction. There were a couple of non-rivian L1 chargers, but nothing more than that.
I need to offer a correction here. @jjswan33 showed me a photo he took and I went back and double checked - the RAN is definitely a goodly way installed in Madras.

The big power cabinets are installed (although they are branded Eaton. The ones I saw from Out of Spec's video in Colorado were branded Rivian) and there are signposts in front of 6-8 stalls - one of which looked kinda like it could be pull through but maybe not as the configuration had the the charger in the middle of the stall. There looked to be metal discs on the ground covering up the conduit where the actual chargers would sit.

So, looks like all that needs to be done is bring in the actual chargers and wire them up.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I need to offer a correction here. @jjswan33 showed me a photo he took and I went back and double checked - the RAN is definitely a goodly way installed in Madras.

The big power cabinets are installed (although they are branded Eaton. The ones I saw from Out of Spec's video in Colorado were branded Rivian) and there are signposts in front of 6-8 stalls - one of which looked kinda like it could be pull through but maybe not as the configuration had the the charger in the middle of the stall. There looked to be metal discs on the ground covering up the conduit where the actual chargers would sit.

So, looks like all that needs to be done is bring in the actual chargers and wire them up.
For the record here is the photo I had taken, I also drove by and took a look on Saturday again.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps 1657555991904

And here is the screen grab from the Colorado site.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps 1657556180083

Specifically in Madras you can see the plywood covering sections of the concrete pad in front of the existing infrastructure, I assume that is where the Rivian branded infrastructure will go and then fed through conduit like you mention.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I missed the plywood and didn't realize there were an additional set of "big" cabinets that needed to go in.

And in looking at your photo again, i think I understand the pull through better. They'd stop at the charger as you normally would, and then use that section between the cones to exit (I had thought when i was there they'd pull all the way on to that lighter colored concrete). I do believe that there's enough room along that curb for a trailer without impeding traffic flow.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Rivian isn't installing a large number of Waypoint chargers anywhere. Waypoint is either a cynical or ignorant effort. It's highly desirable only to the inexperienced. But regardless, Waypoints will be almost entirely occupied by non-Rivians and not available at busy times

I don't think you understand EV charging and travel. Ski resorts need plug in because a cold soaked battery won't take regen on the downhill exit from the area. Typical level 2 will not provide both battery heating and significantly added miles.

Ski resorts have a problem because EV ownership correlates positively with their desirable upscale customers. Ski resorts spend a lot of money clearing roads of snow because they have learned that customers won't come if the drive is hazardous. This is particulary true of ski areas that attract pacific coast clients.

Rivian would be stupid to provide waypoints to these commercial locations. But they do treat money like a frat house that found an extra $500. So why not add a few.

Also, ski resorts aren't going to have level 3 charging. They don't have gas stations now. Gateways to these area, where transmission costs are reasonable, need level 3.

Rivian also needs 800V because a 40 minute charge is too long to be competitive with other low efficiency EVs.
I reluctantly agree with you that the Waypoint chargers aren't going to be helpful for Rivian, because they'll be in use by the vast world. I want to increase chargers to all, I have another evn than a rivian too. But we unfortunately know from some of the earlier waypoint charger installs that they do get used much more by other cars, often plugin hybrids. Here's a report that Yosemite's was mostly charging with Teslas (not many rivians out in Feb) https://www.[Banned Site].com/threads/rivian-charger-in-yosemite.2400/.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/waypoint-charger-reviews.4341/ Fort Mason, SF.

It feels wrong to say it as a long time ev owner, but I think Rivian should focus on RAN, and if they do Waypoint it should be a place that is particularly suitable for offroad, like the trailhead of a particularly good offroad trail. It just seems pointless for Rivian (struggling Rivian!, at least a little bit) to not focus on keeping themselves going.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired