Sponsored

RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to?

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
really glad to see a couple out on the olympic peninsula and down the washington and oregon coast. those areas are really hurting right now.
Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Please stick one near Burns, Oregon. This will open up Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert. For anyone who has yet to hear about Steens Mountain and the view from the top (it's a drive-up) out over the salt flats of the Alvord desert, it is one awesome display. A station near Burns would make that doable. I believe a campground or two near the base of the mountain may have 14-50 access for overnight, but I'm not certain.

In addition to the outstanding scenery, it's home to a herd of wild horses that are absolutely majestic to watch.

https://onda.org/recommendations/visitors-guide-steens-mountain/
Just found the PNW section, so digging up an old post. I was looking in to this yesterday and was REALLY hoping for one in Fields or Burns (ideally Fields, but Burns is more likely). It is just a giant dead spot in EV charging infrastructure near some truly beautiful stuff. I have great memories from camping out in the Alvord.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Just found the PNW section, so digging up an old post. I was looking in to this yesterday and was REALLY hoping for one in Fields or Burns (ideally Fields, but Burns is more likely). It is just a giant dead spot in EV charging infrastructure near some truly beautiful stuff. I have great memories from camping out in the Alvord.
Scott,

As you know, but few do, having Steens Mountain cast a shadow over the Alvord every day, makes for a pretty amazing playground.

Here are two pics of Steens Mountain from the floor of the Alvord Desert, one from the summit of Steens looking down 5,000 feet at the Alvord (lots of smoke, unfortunately), as well as a separate portraits of each of the neighbors. Following that is mapping/charging info that I would love for Rivian's RAN Planning Team to consider. Burns, Frenchglen, and Fields need some charging attention. Leaving this area (and most of Eastern Oregon) out of reach for the Rivian family would be a huge mistake, at least in my view.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 2010-Autumn-Southeastern-Oregon-Travel-Outdoors-Steens-Mountain-Alvord-Desert

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 12005903-large

(Zoom in and see the Alvord beyond)
Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 20170808_181327

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 677

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 6a0105371bb32c970b0240a4c84cc8200d-750wi

Here's a map showing Burns (top of first map) at the intersection of the US-20, US-395, and State Hwys 205 and 78. DCFC charging in Burns would allow a non-Interstate Highway crossing of Oregon from Bend to Boise, and from the California border to I-84 & the Washington border. It would also make the Steens/Alvord wonderland accessible to Riviots from all directions.

Without it, we're stuck on I-84 or stalled with Range Anxiety trying to cross the State on a West/East route. Once you drop South from Burns to Frenchglen (a great spot for a Destination Charger at the historic Frenchglen Hotel) you can take the loop marked by "Rough Road", to get to the summit of Steens Mountain, where you have an incredible view of the Alvord and beyond, from its 9,734 ft. summit. The Alvord is 6,000 feet below.

Maybe if you're lucky, you'll quietly roll up upon the Kiger Mustangs, one of the last remaining herd of wild horses roaming the West (picture below).

As you mentioned, Fields could also be a great spot for charging, but I'd think it's more remote location might make it better for a Destination Charger, rather than a Rivian Adventure Network DCFC Station.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? EastSteensMa
Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 4998520381_644814a2df_b

The Kiger Mustang herd of wild horses.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 20170808_143911
Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 20170808_144007

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Yeah, at the moment there is not much in the area. I think Burns has a single Chargepoint charger and I don't think Fields has anything. Burns does have a supercharger if Tesla ever opens up that access like they have said they will. The problem is that even if Burns is built up to have decent charging, to go to the Alvord playa from there is about 250 miles round trip. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for exploration on AT tires and a large pack. Adding in Fields fixes that.

But yes, it is a truly awesome area. I've camped out there in the winter and woken up to fresh snow, it is pretty amazing. I'll add my one picture (with a super long exposure that added a purplish color cast I choose to not remove)

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? alvord1

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I'd love to see them get a charger in McCall or New Meadows or somewhere else between Pullman and Boise. I can get to Seattle, Portland, Missoula, Glacier, Vancouver no problem... but Boise is going to be tough.

I'm glad I don't live in Eastern Montana, the Dakotas, or Wyoming! 🙃

Sponsored

Richland Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 2022 Volvo XC60
Would love to see a few in Sandpoint, or even better, at Schweitzer.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’d love to see something in Susanville,CA, and Lakeview, OR.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We drove from Packwood to Nile today for moreling (more on that elsewhere) and to my surprise there were no chargers at White Pass.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
The Oregon Coast really needs some charging help like yesterday. I’m heading down to Manzanita from Seattle next month in my R1T and ABRP shows it’s pretty much a desert past Astoria (and I couldn’t even find any slow charging in Manzanita).

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Please stick one near Burns, Oregon. This will open up Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert. For anyone who has yet to hear about Steens Mountain and the view from the top (it's a drive-up) out over the salt flats of the Alvord desert, it is one awesome display. A station near Burns would make that doable. I believe a campground or two near the base of the mountain may have 14-50 access for overnight, but I'm not certain.

In addition to the outstanding scenery, it's home to a herd of wild horses that are absolutely majestic to watch.

https://onda.org/recommendations/visitors-guide-steens-mountain/
Yep. That is where I go to get away. Near Fields Station or Crane Hot Springs. Would love to see more in SE Oregon. The Alvord at night is amazing. Steens pass road was built for a Rivian.

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
They need on on the Keweenaw Peninsula. There is a real dead zone on the Keweenaw Peninsula on the UP of Michigan.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

The Oregon Coast really needs some charging help like yesterday. I’m heading down to Manzanita from Seattle next month in my R1T and ABRP shows it’s pretty much a desert past Astoria (and I couldn’t even find any slow charging in Manzanita).
There is DCFC (CCS) about every 50 miles on the Oregon Coast. This is part of the WCEH program. I used the one in Florence over the weekend and it worked quite well. The plugshare app has these all marked.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
There is DCFC (CCS) about every 50 miles on the Oregon Coast. This is part of the WCEH program. I used the one in Florence over the weekend and it worked quite well. The plugshare app has these all marked.
Most of the WCEH sites top out around 50kw, whereas I’m getting real-world rates over 200kw from EA charging sites. It makes a huge difference! Also, a lot of the WCEH are only a single CCS charger and have weird random payment options. EA really is a much better experience with 4+ chargers per site and a decent reliable app.

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Most of the WCEH sites top out around 50kw, whereas I’m getting real-world rates over 200kw from EA charging sites. It makes a huge difference! Also, a lot of the WCEH are only a single CCS charger and have weird random payment options. EA really is a much better experience with 4+ chargers per site and a decent reliable app.
Totally agree that they are sub-optimal compared to EA, but they do work at least in my experience :)

They also have a 30 day free trial, which would make your trip nearly free...

The phone activation went pretty smoothly, and the truck was quoting between 105 and 115 miles /hr of charging.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? 53A9F739-E44B-422F-A381-8C545CE69B4C_1_105_c
Sponsored