Sponsored

RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Personally, I'm excited for the following based on this pretty vague map:
  • Whistler
  • Mt Baker ski area?
  • Oregon coast

Rivian R1T R1S RAN PNW map - Locations to look forward to? Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 1.08.54 PM
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm excited for some DCFC in Southern Oregon. Currently there's only a station at the Walmart in Grants Pass, afaik. They really need to add some DCFC in Ashland and Medford or Central Point. It's also excited to see it along the Oregon Coast.

I also like that they've got the major East-West highways covered, Coast to Coast.

It also looks like they'll have some DCFC on the way out to the Outer Banks and Wilmington area. This will be much appreciated, as I try to go out to Duck at least a couple times a year, and Bald Head Island is another favorite weekend spot.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
For your route to Whistler, I have a few questions about what exactly we're looking at there.

For the eastern Fraser Valley, it looks like there is one in Hope and another in Chilliwack or Abbotsford. I would think, near the border crossing in Abbotsford.

The next two west, look like Surrey or Burnaby and Delta. The Delta one could be close to a border crossing or the ferry terminal to Vancouver Island.

I think there might be one in Vancouver that is almost totally blocked plus one in West Vancouver, possibly near the ferry terminal to Sechelt.

My guess is that the next two up are Squamish and Whistler, but there is an outside chance they are Whistler and Pemberton.

Whatever we get is going to be great. We have a good number of charging stations now, especially the BC Hydro network and the growing list of PetroCanada stations with chargers.

The infrastructure is happening. All we need is our trucks!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Please stick one near Burns, Oregon. This will open up Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert. For anyone who has yet to hear about Steens Mountain and the view from the top (it's a drive-up) out over the salt flats of the Alvord desert, it is one awesome display. A station near Burns would make that doable. I believe a campground or two near the base of the mountain may have 14-50 access for overnight, but I'm not certain.

In addition to the outstanding scenery, it's home to a herd of wild horses that are absolutely majestic to watch.

https://onda.org/recommendations/visitors-guide-steens-mountain/

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Please stick one near Burns, Oregon. This will open up Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert. For anyone who has yet to hear about Steens Mountain and the view from the top (it's a drive-up) out over the salt flats of the Alvord desert, it is one awesome display. A station near Burns would make that doable. I believe a campground or two near the base of the mountain may have 14-50 access for overnight, but I'm not certain.

In addition to the outstanding scenery, it's home to a herd of wild horses that are absolutely majestic to watch.

https://onda.org/recommendations/visitors-guide-steens-mountain/
I've read that the Alvord desert is an ideal location for star gazing as there is nothing around to cause light pollution . It's on my list to go there after I get a truck and small trailer.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I've read that the Alvord desert is an ideal location for star gazing as there is nothing around to cause light pollution . It's on my list to go there after I get a truck and small trailer.
If you think the Alvord is great for stargazing (and it is), the top of Steens Mountain is even better! So long as you don't mind the extra drive and can withstand the cold, the top of Steens is really worth it. Come prepared! It's over 5,500 feet higher and much colder up there, but there's an easy road to the top for any Rivian. From the ridgeline, you feel like you're on top of the world. We were there during major fires in 2017 and were well above the smoke. The view down over the salt flats of the Alvord is pretty amazing, as is the horizon-to-horizon take of the sky and stars above. If you have the time, hit them both.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If you think the desert is great for stargazing (and it is), the top of Steens Mountain is even better. So long as you don't mind the extra drive and can withstand the cold, the top of Steens is really worth it. Come prepared It's! It's over 5,500 feet higher, but an easy Rivian road to the top. From the ridgeline, you feel like you're on top of the world. We were there during major fires in 2017 and we were above the smoke. The view down over the salt flats of the Alvord is pretty amazing as well. If you have the time, hit them both.
I'm voting for the sawtooths for stargazing.

Edit: seeing where the steens are... That's gotta be hard to compete with actually.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm voting for the sawtooths for stargazing.

Edit: seeing where the steens are... That's gotta be hard to compete with actually.
You can't go wrong around Redfish or Alturas Lakes in the Sawtooths. Also, as you head South and drive up Galena Summit, the sky on the Northern slope is as dark as most anywhere in the lower 48. A friend used to fly supplies through and over that area and said there was a long stretch, including the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area (the largest in the 48, I believe) where you had no night time visual references because there were no lights at all down below.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You can't go wrong around Redfish or Alturas Lakes in the Sawtooths. Also, as you head South and drive up Galena Summit, the sky on the Northern slope is as dark as most anywhere in the lower 48. A friend used to fly supplies through and over that area and said there was a long stretch, including the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area (the largest in the 48, I believe) where you had no night time visual references because there were no lights at all down below.
You are spot on. Though I'm a bit partial to stanley lake myself. Next to no crowd, and if you don't mind losing all feeling in your lower extremities you can wade out into the lake at the beach to a steep drop off. Super easy fishing spot with a better than average chance of catching a big ass lake trout.

Speaking of redfish, it would have been awesome to be around when it was absolutely full of spawning salmon.

Also, deadwood reservoir is a random, weird, remote place to find a large dam. The back way in is a great drive on a forest service road that takes like 2 hours to go 30 miles.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You are spot on. Though I'm a bit partial to stanley lake myself. Next to no crowd, and if you don't mind losing all feeling in your lower extremities you can wade out into the lake at the beach to a steep drop off. Super easy fishing spot with a better than average chance of catching a big ass lake trout.

Speaking of redfish, it would have been awesome to be around when it was absolutely full of spawning salmon.

Also, deadwood reservoir is a random, weird, remote place to find a large dam. The back way in is a great drive on a forest service road that takes like 2 hours to go 30 miles.
One of my first trips will be to go up the Yankee Fork of the Salmon River from Sunbeam to Custer, Bonanza, and the old dredge. The river is colder than the lakes below. Either way, world-class shrinkage awaits?.

You're getting close to 7,000' of elevation of and there's really nothing in the way of lights. Compared to there, Stanley feels like the big city?

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Hwy 2 and/or 20 and 97 north. Everything else is gravy :)

Speaking of did anyone see the video from OutOfSpec Motoring on his trip in the Mustang from Colorado to LA? Nothing but finger pointing as far as Ford's 'We'll charge with everyone' service and various EA stations along the way.

I'm guessing this is why RJ & Team decided to fast track the RAN and Claim Compatibility with all 3rd Party chargers. If they left it up to EA we'd be hosed.

Unless EA like to play nicer with 'startups' vs Legacy Auto like Ford.

The EA ChaDeMo's have worked fine around Seattle for my Leaf with a few glitches now and again but that software and connectivity has been around for a decade now with EA compatibility for at least the past 3-5 years? ?

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher

Speaking of did anyone see the video from OutOfSpec Motoring on his trip in the Mustang from Colorado to LA? Nothing but finger pointing as far as Ford's 'We'll charge with everyone' service and various EA stations along the way.

I'm guessing this is why RJ & Team decided to fast track the RAN and Claim Compatibility with all 3rd Party chargers. If they left it up to EA we'd be hosed.

The EA ChaDeMo's have worked fine around Seattle for my Leaf with a few glitches now and again but that software and connectivity has been around for a decade now with EA compatibility for at least the past 3-5 years? ?
Yeah saw that video and watched another one from a lady with the channel name EV and chill. She had a similar rough experience. RAN seems like a safe investment for Rivian after that kind of trouble. It also highlighted that EA is likely best used with their app.

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Recruiter
If Rivian rolls out the RAN to every state park, campground, national park/forest it would be a game changer. Would lean nicely with their mission too. Really hitting some remote areas too would allow for more exploration?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ryan, Luckily, US97 in Oregon looks well sprinkled with stations, but I'm not so sure about 97 in Washington. Looks like the Southern-most stretch could use some help but I'm not as familiar with the Northern end.

You're right about US20, and even US26 as they cross Central and Southeastern Oregon. That map shows a huge hole in the middle of the state, basically from the border with Washington down to Oregon's borders California and Nevada and well into both of those states. For having a couple of US Highways there to go along with US95 in the S.E. corner, that's a sizable no-roll zone with some excellent Adventures throughout. Burns and Jordan Valley would help make for safe passage.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

There’s a planned one just a few miles from my house. We don’t have a charger (yet), so that could be nice.

It looks like they are covering US 101 very well. There are a couple on the Olympic Peninsula and several in central WA, these will be great for 90% of trips beyond my metro.
Sponsored