First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
The Honda Civic, Mazda3, etc. still sell plenty. It's still a popular class.
That's not the same class at all. The R3 is more of a rally car class. Small size, but slightly lifted with bigger tires, etc.... The closest thing I would compare it with is the old AMC Eagle.

AMC.jpg
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

As soon as I saw this, after the initial shock of the R3 set in, I had to figure out how to convince the wife that we really need a Tri-Motor R3X, instead of the R3.
Rivian really nailed this design, my wife didn't like the R2, but asked me when the the R3 comes out.
Can't wait until they open up pre-orders for this.

"Gee honey, I can't believe Rivian sent us an R3X, when you wanted the R3!" ;-)
Same...I thought my wife would be interested in R2 and she was totally turned off by it. R3 on the other hand...she's really interested to hear details on the R3X. Currently drives a Kia Stinger GT and was also looking at the Kia EV6 GT and Hyundai Ioniq 5 N, so the R3X fits that vibe.

JFlip82

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
CRNA
So insane!!! It's like a lifted golf r, or a super cool take on vintage audi rally cars. So fuckin cool.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. Love it.

Sponsored

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
That's not the same class at all. The R3 is more of a rally car class. Small size, but slightly lifted with bigger tires, etc.... The closest thing I would compare it with is the old AMC Eagle.
So basically, the size of a Civic but with some more utility, but not as big and bulky as a Rav4. Why wouldn't that sell in the US?

FootyMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM Max Pack 20" Black
Haven't heard about the reasoning for the change in charge port location.

1709839329098.png
RJ addressed it in a Electrek interview I watched. Besides NACS, the location allows them to greatly shorten the high voltage wiring which runs to the rear of the battery pack. Cost saving measure.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
How much do you folks think the R3X will actually cost? Someone threw out a 100k - no shot...what is a comparable ICE? Fully loaded VW Golf R is ~50k.
Everyone is guessing, including me of course.

The reason I think it will be 100k is because it can be the car that performs like a Lucid, or better, and can go off road. It seems like the perfect spot for that high performance "sports car" that can be credible against a 911.

Or maybe they are planning a Golf R alternative, which to me doesn't have the potential a higher end car could have. Make it the practical alternate to the Tesla Roadster. They can price it to make a good profit, and people will buy it. I hope that is what they do.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think it will come in around $60-$70k. It's an upgraded R3 which they already said will be their most affordable option. I don't see it leapfrogging the high end of the R2 pricing.

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
Everyone is guessing, including me of course.

The reason I think it will be 100k is because it can be the car that performs like a Lucid, or better, and can go off road. It seems like the perfect spot for that high performance "sports car" that can be credible against a 911.

Or maybe they are planning a Golf R alternative, which to me doesn't have the potential a higher end car could have. Make it the practical alternate to the Tesla Roadster. They can price it to make a good profit, and people will buy it. I hope that is what they do.
Guess here as well but generally brands don't make a top tier performance variant of their bottom tier model because general population will only ever associate that with the smallest/cheapest model and will be an even tougher sell. I believe this will have pretty killer performance specs, same drivetrain as the tri-motor R2 will offer most likely, but will be more competitive in that mid-tier performance line up of others, x3 m40i / audi rs3 / glc 43 amg - that type of price range

Sponsored

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
If the R3X has 300 miles of range and comes in less than $40K it will be a category killer. I think it will be higher $ than that, but they will sell a ton of them. A perfect urban, take on the trails when you want to, kind of car. Brilliant.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
They may have created a new market with this.
I suspect aimed very much at the European market. Plus, filing the void of the hot hatchback, which doesn't really exist anymore.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
If the R3X has 300 miles of range and comes in less than $40K it will be a category killer. I think it will be higher $ than that, but they will sell a ton of them. A perfect urban, take on the trails when you want to, kind of car. Brilliant.
Did you R3X or just the R3? No way the X is anything less than 50k