First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Maybe RJ wasn't allowed to say the word "Europe" so he compromised by saying "millimeters".
giphy.gif

The engineers in here speak up. Metric is just easier to deal with because it's divisible by 10.
Sponsored

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
I hope the R3X's wheels are compatible with the R1. Would totally buy a set.
Being a much lighter performance car, even if they fit they probably aren't engineered for the R1's weight.

danieldg

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3
Occupation
Data Analysis Consultant
It doesn't seem a full wheel (20") size smaller than the R2, but the shorter the better.

Was anyone allowed to measure the width at the event? Hoping it's a bit thinner than the R2.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I was worried because RJ called it "our take on a crossover" that it was actually larger than it looked, just a visual design reminiscent of a smaller vehicle - great to know it actually is the size of a GTI! (Only 2 inches longer than my old BMW i3! I loved that little car!)

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 2019 Ford Edge
I was considering selling my JL Wrangler when I get the R2 in 2026

My mind has now wandered to waiting a bit longer, buying the R3 and keeping the Jeep.

Every time I see it, I like it more. However just thinking about the range and potential performance is really enticing.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 2019 Ford Edge
Thought I'd try to find an analog as size it against my Jeep size.

The Honda Fit is an inch taller but checks in at 161 inches. Should be a pretty accurate representation.

Screenshot_20240309_094913_Chrome.jpg

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Should Rivian just start with the R3 before the R2?

There is definitely more interest online with the R3 than the R2. This shows people just want a smaller-and presumably—a cheaper EV. Not just another smaller brother of the R1.

SF Dede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Looking at the R3 in profile, I can readily imagine a R3S. Slightly longer in back, squared off….

Sponsored

wirenut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

There is definitely more interest online with the R3 than the R2. This shows people just want a smaller-and presumably—a cheaper EV. Not just another smaller brother of the R1.
We on this forum may be a little biased. I for one don't really need R2. I already have R1S that I love. It great as a bigger family car. R3 would be absolutely fantastic as a second around town car.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I know they're targeting more of a rally car with this thing, but a little sad to see 30" diameter for the tires. From a tarmac perspective there just aren't any super sticky tires available in anything anywhere near that size. Best I found was the Goodyear Supercar 3 available in a 255/45/20 which would be 29.1", but that's nowhere near the fastest tire in the 200TW category. Size wise and shape, I love this thing. If the weight is kept down it could be a ton of fun as a sporty car, for R3/R3X, but without sticky rubber available it would be a hard sell to replace my current sports car.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT

The R2, at least in North America, will be the big seller - it is CRV/RAV4 sized and the biggest segment of all. So it makes sense going in that. The R3 is great and will sell in the US but at lower volumes - hence why there are less hatchback models here than CRVs

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit

I already emailed Rivian to ask them for the R3 to come first.

Lukeee

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWX3, 2series, clown shoe
Occupation
Retired
I know they're targeting more of a rally car with this thing, but a little sad to see 30" diameter for the tires. From a tarmac perspective there just aren't any super sticky tires available in anything anywhere near that size. Best I found was the Goodyear Supercar 3 available in a 255/45/20 which would be 29.1", but that's nowhere near the fastest tire in the 200TW category. Size wise and shape, I love this thing. If the weight is kept down it could be a ton of fun as a sporty car, for R3/R3X, but without sticky rubber available it would be a hard sell to replace my current sports car.
You are pretty hardcore. Funny you went down that road too… one of the first things I did was to see what street tires there were available…. I noticed that the Michelin PS4 SUV version was available. Not sure how these differ compared to the non SUV version. I believe these tires are speced for the Porsche Mecan. Not sure how heavy the R3X is going to be, but we will need to keep an eye on the load rating requirements.
Sponsored