Sponsored

R1T Sitting in Cold at Service Center. Any lasting harm?

Whyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My R1T has been sitting at the service center in Michigan since last week in ~10*F temperatures. I pick it up next week.

Does anyone know if they keep the trucks trickle charged at SCs (I don't think so)?

I'm being paranoid but would hate for there to be any permanent damage from the battery being fully depleted while awaiting delivery.

Is there any way to check recent "battery history"?
Sponsored

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
You'll be fine. Keep in mind u have am 8yr, 175K mile warranty on the battery pack

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

They only charge it during the day if you ask. Mine always stayed outside after hours at that location unless it was actively being worked on.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Third the donā€™t worry about it.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Iā€™ll be the dissenting opinion. My R1T spent >1 month sitting at a service center and it came back with degraded battery range. I know it sat in harsh outdoor conditions and was charged to 100% and sat until it died at 0% then back to 100% a few times (thanks vampire drain!) Rivian has claimed I canā€™t prove they mishandled it and that is what resulted in the degraded rangeā€¦. I guess thatā€™s true? But what I do know is they didnā€™t follow their own advice for taking care of the vehicle and my range compared the day they took the vehicle to service and the day it returned has a >50 mile decrease in range.

you own your R1T and no one will take better care of it than you. my opinion is you need to hold Rivian accountable and DO NOT assume the service center will do anything right.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Iā€™ll be the dissenting opinion. My R1T spent >1 month sitting at a service center and it came back with degraded battery range. I know it sat in harsh outdoor conditions and was charged to 100% and sat until it died at 0% then back to 100% a few times (thanks vampire drain!) Rivian has claimed I canā€™t prove they mishandled it and that is what resulted in the degraded rangeā€¦. I guess thatā€™s true? But what I do know is they didnā€™t follow their own advice for taking care of the vehicle and my range compared the day they took the vehicle to service and the day it returned has a >50 mile decrease in range.

you own your R1T and no one will take better care of it than you. my opinion is you need to hold Rivian accountable and DO NOT assume the service center will do anything right.
You canā€™t say itā€™s degradation without having a baseline. Unless youā€™re saying itā€™s a 50 mile decrease compared to similar temperatures 12 months ago? Range fluctuates due to a ton of factors.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I donā€™t buy it. I charge mine to 100% every Sunday and run it down to around 10% by the time I charge again on Friday night. No degradation at all.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You canā€™t say itā€™s degradation without having a baseline. Unless youā€™re saying itā€™s a 50 mile decrease compared to similar temperatures 12 months ago? Range fluctuates due to a ton of factors.
The vehicle was returned to me back in September. The weather was quite pleasant back then. This is not a "cold weather kills range" issue.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I donā€™t buy it. I charge mine to 100% every Sunday and run it down to around 10% by the time I charge again on Friday night. No degradation at all.
So you don't run it down to below 0% where it is DEAD as a doornail and then have to jump it back to life then blast it back up to 100% and repeat several times....

In other words, nothing like the torture that Rivian put my R1T through.

Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager

Would range degradation be a warranty item? It seems odd SC would be careless in that way.
Have you submitted a claim for this?
Is Rivian disputing the facts or denying responsibility?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Would range degradation be a warranty item? It seems odd SC would be careless in that way.
Have you submitted a claim for this?
Is Rivian disputing the facts or denying responsibility?
I've had extensive conversations with the SC as well as management at higher levels. I won't go into too many specifics, at this time, because the situation is still unresolved. The SC consistently denies responsibility and accountability for everything. Upper management has been more graceful in acknowledging that they have consistently screwed up. Unfortunately, Rivian management has also made it very clear that they care more about maintaining appearances and have done little to effect meaningful change.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

My R1T that was bought back by Rivian finally died yesterday. It was picked up with 25% on the battery and as of yesterday, 12/25, the app showed me it finally hit 0% with no range estimation. I sent the service center a few emails about the charge getting low but no response, and they chose to do nothing about it. Their loss :(

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
I've had extensive conversations with the SC as well as management at higher levels. I won't go into too many specifics, at this time, because the situation is still unresolved. The SC consistently denies responsibility and accountability for everything. Upper management has been more graceful in acknowledging that they have consistently screwed up. Unfortunately, Rivian management has also made it very clear that they care more about maintaining appearances and have done little to effect meaningful change.
Damn!
That sounds awful and disappointing.
I get you are still in the middle of it so details are a little thin.

My primary concern, as a first time EVā€™er (one day Iā€™ll get my R1T), is that I can/will screwup the battery and the Rivian warranty will not cover it. Your scenario is my worst nightmare.

Let us know how this shakes out. Best of luck!
Sponsored