joelg

joelg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
@Hexijen that AT Habitat is pretty slick. I think what I'm going for is a slide-in camper format, but instead of needing all the interior space of a camper (like the Kimbo—which looks awesome), I'd use the slide-in for storage and solar panels and then put a rooftop tent on top of it. I really like the idea of using the slide-in format since at a basecamp you can slide it out on jack lifts and use it as a shelter, which frees the R1T to do day trips without taking down your tent every day.

That's a great table of solar panel data. Focusing on watts/lb and watts/sqft is really smart. I was just using this panel as a template:

SunPower SPR-X22-360-D-AC

My thinking was to find something that is an extremely common shape and size so that it would be easy to replace in the future. Othefrwise, I also just went for as much wattage as I could. The downside is definitely that its rigid and heavy compared to the flexible options you've gathered.

Thanks to everyone for the all the recommendations you've shared! It definitely helps to see all the options for truck bed camping, and I'm thinking that I'll probably be able to find a base rig that I can build on top of instead of starting from scratch with a custom fabrication.
Sponsored

Hexijen

First Name
Caley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glacier/Ocean Coast, 20AT, Offroad
Clubs

The flexible panels aren't supposed to last as long, but my guess is that eventually something will happen to the panels if you are using them often, so I'm not too worried about replacing them. The weight is hard to beat on the flex panels.

The AT Habitat is supposed to go in with a few bolts, but it isnt as flexible as one that can support itself, for sure.

The kimbo is so outside my current plan that I didn't come across it. It definitely has alot of room. The interior has a very homey feel to it, I think maybe because it has an irregular shape.

One thing I learned from searching roof tents, solar, and camping gear, is even when I thought I had "found all the roof tents out there", I still hadn't found half of them yet.

My next search will be for roof racks that extend over the bed and cab that might already fit the rivian, instead of fabricating it all from scratch. If anyone has found anything in that regard, please message me!

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Seriously looking for slide-in camper options. Got some feelers out there. One positive back so far:
http://phoenixpopup.com/ Not the one I'm hoping for; will let you know if I get that one...meantime, open to suggestions.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Seriously looking for slide-in camper options. Got some feelers out there. One positive back so far:
http://phoenixpopup.com/ Not the one I'm hoping for; will let you know if I get that one...meantime, open to suggestions.
I do hope this is an addon that Rivian offers "real soon now". They could match the style of your interior and exterior and those bright young people working there are likely brimming with great ideas for such a piece of equipment.

Sponsored

shrugsarefree

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's a vehicle all right!
Has anyone heard/seen anything about aftermarket overland gear coming for Rivian?
Racks, sliders, bumpers, winches, etc?
I'm really hoping Front Runner, ARB and other companies have some stuff in the works for R1T and R1S.
Pics are examples only and not Rivian specific (sadly).

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities expedition-rails_07

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities 111782-add2

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Has anyone heard/seen anything about aftermarket overland gear coming for Rivian?
Racks, sliders, bumpers, winches, etc?
I'm really hoping Front Runner, ARB and other companies have some stuff in the works for R1T and R1S.
Pics are examples only and not Rivian specific (sadly).

expedition-rails_07.jpg

111782-add2.jpg
As far as the roof rack, we've seen plenty of photos with all sorts of things attached to the racks on the Rivian, so I think a generic roof rack wouldn't be too hard to fit up to the crossbars already on the roof.

Generally I've found those sheetmetal bumpers can be fabbed up by your local competent shop, and I'm not sure how much of a market will exist for the Rivian, at least for the first several years. Maybe once the cheaper model comes out and there are some used launch editions people will start modifying them.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities 2018_11_R1TBlue_BC_Static_WidePS_LS_058A4500-scaled

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.55.00 PM

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.54.26 PM

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.42.51 PM

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Overland Rig Possibilities Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 12.20.51 PM

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'm really curious to get specs on the crossbars. Normally (well, at least in my experience) the OEM roof racks have fairly strong side bars, and the cross bars are a bit of a weak point, but plenty of people remove those cross bars and install roof racks right on the existing side bars, instead of removing them and mounting directly to the roof. That option doesn't even exist with the Rivian system.

I've been following the Kayak thread because I want to be able to put on a larger rooftop tent that won't quite fit over the bed, and extended supports would allow me to raise it enough to equal the roof height, but I'm questioning how sturdy the same supports, just extended, will be with a ~175 pound tent while driving off pavement, and ~600 pound load while sleeping. I don't have a problem going with an aftermarket bed rack (there are a lot of advantages to something like the Leitner bed rack anyway) but it will have to line up properly to work and I'm a bit unsure whether a bed rack designed to mount in a traditional bed will work in the Rivian bed.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

(there are a lot of advantages to something like the Leitner bed rack anyway)
@MReda, take the time to chat to Rivian and let them know your thoughts on a system similar to the Leitner. This is that feedback that they run up the flag pole. I did this two weeks ago. That Leitner system is pretty sweet.

There is an old video that watched ages ago that talked about the specifics of the load-carrying capacity of the crossbars. If I find it, I will edit the post with the link.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
@MReda, take the time to chat to Rivian and let them know your thoughts on a system similar to the Leitner. This is that feedback that they run up the flag pole. I did this two weeks ago. That Leitner system is pretty sweet.

There is an old video that watched ages ago that talked about the specifics of the load-carrying capacity of the crossbars. If I find it, I will edit the post with the link.
Done.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone hear of winch options??

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Anyone hear of winch options??
This is a BIG one. Being able to winch yourself out is absolutely necessary for one rig overloading, and still really nice to have when overloading with a group.
Sponsored