Threads
Reaction score
Website
turo.com
Vehicles
Tesla Roadster, Model S P85 & Model 3P, BMW M2
Occupation
cleantech entrepreneur
@skyote where did you hear this? I've been trying to find info on roof racks for the R1T
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
@skyote where did you hear this? I've been trying to find info on roof racks for the R1T
I heard the same thing directly from Brian Gase in NYC.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'm hopeful that it is available, but I asked Rivian about it recently and they wouldn't confirm anything. This could end up in the bucket of things that were discussed at early events and didn't make it...

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
The 4X8 sheet of plywood is an urban legend.
Not sure if you’re kidding or not and I’m not leaving my LE cause of the bed size. But I absolutely use my 5.5 F150 bed for plywood and Sheetrock

Either way I think the R1T bed can accommodate with gate down IMO

Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Now longer lumber is a problem with even an 8' bed and a trailer or headache rack is recommended if you don't want to get in trouble with the police. I could see a color matched lumber rack for the R1T as the frunk and gear tunnel would be so great for tools.
Yeah totally agree! 4x4x12 will be borrowed trailer only

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I had a Honda Ridgeline with the optional bed extender. The bed extender created a new wall (kind of a grate) at the back of a lowered tailgate. Worked well. Maybe we'll see something like that, hope so.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
But not a rural legend. I just cancelled my Rivian reservation because I just couldn't come to grips with the bed size.
All hope is not lost, if R1T is to short and Cyber Truck to Cyber there is BEV F-150 late 2022.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I had a Honda Ridgeline with the optional bed extender. The bed extender created a new wall (kind of a grate) at the back of a lowered tailgate. Worked well. Maybe we'll see something like that, hope so.
I had a Nissan Frontier with the sliding bed extender. I loved it. There were tie-down tracks running the length of the bed, and I could slide the extender up against the cab if I wasn’t using it. There were removable cleats, too, so I could put them where I wanted to tie things down.

I believe Toyota has a similar system in the Tacoma — although I don’t know if the bed extender sliders with Toyota.

I’m surprised to not see such tracks in the Rivian. They’re so practical and simple. I’m surprised every pickup hasn’t copied it, to be honest.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
But not a rural legend. I just cancelled my Rivian reservation because I just couldn't come to grips with the bed size. I'm clearly outside the target demographic though; I'm a rural farmer and wood worker, who hoped to be an EV early adopter... Looks like ICE for me, at least for the next few years, or until I figure out what in the world the Tesla CyberTruck really is...
I’m a part-time farmer and still plan on getting a R1T. When I need more 16’ posts for barn construction I’ll still need a trailer or a flatbed to do this. Reality is there is nothing in the market that serves as a Swiss Army knife for what we do and can also be a practical vehicle for groceries and farming/construction. even a Ford F-450/550 with flat/utility bed swap can’t do everything and it’s mass overkill 90% of the time.
The Bollinger truck is closer to the rugged farm application and I’ll probably buy that too but right now, I have doubts they will make it to production anytime soon (maybe ever) and that’s pushing 2x cost of Rivian.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I'm a rural farmer and wood worker, who hoped to be an EV early adopter... Looks like ICE for me, at least for the next few years, or until I figure out what in the world the Tesla CyberTruck really is...
The Bollinger, my dude.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I’m a part-time farmer and still plan on getting a R1T. When I need more 16’ posts for barn construction I’ll still need a trailer or a flatbed to do this. Reality is there is nothing in the market that serves as a Swiss Army knife for what we do and can also be a practical vehicle for groceries and farming/construction. even a Ford F-450/550 with flat/utility bed swap can’t do everything and it’s mass overkill 90% of the time.
The Bollinger truck is closer to the rugged farm application and I’ll probably buy that too but right now, I have doubts they will make it to production anytime soon (maybe ever) and that’s pushing 2x cost of Rivian.
Great post. I agree Rivian is closest match for BEV swiss army knife that is likely to come out in the next 5 years. it's relatively easy to throw together a concept design and quite another to actually build it as envisioned (looking at you Nikola). I also agree that driving around a giant utility vehicle 100% of the time and only needing/ using the full utility 10% of the time is not the best option environmentally or economically or really even as a matter of practicality.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Have loved the Bollinger concept for years but I have doubts it will make it to production. Even if it does you’ll be pushing 2x price Rivian unless something big happens. I’m still a potential buyer of that too but I can get an Acela truck NOW (yes diesel) but leaning that way a bit depending on timing. Still getting Rivian this year without test drive...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
No problem in my Avalanche hauling 4x8 sheet material with the tailgate down. I wouldn't want to do it daily, but doing it a few times a month is not a problem. Since the R1T wheel well gap is reported to be 50", I have no concerns about it.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Still don't get why anyone would put the tailgate down to haul plywood. Its real dangerous and a pita to secure. Leave your gate up and put the plywood in not a problem. I hauled maybe 8 sheets at a time this way as a cabinet maker for years. Having the ability to haul 4 x 8 sheets is one of the main advantages of a pickup truck over an SUV. That and refrigerators. Neither should be a problem with the Rivian.
Sponsored