Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Any other mountain bikers on here?

The R1T seems like the perfect vehicle for it:
  • The bike in the bed, with the gear guard and bed camera for security
  • The frunk for all of the gear I normally carry
  • The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge (if it isn't an option, I'll make it myself)
  • The other side of the gear tunnel for holding tools / spares / repair stand / etc
  • An air compressor for keeping bike tires full
  • Ground clearance for remote trailheads
  • Plenty of torque for crossing 12,000 ft mountain passes
  • Room for all of the above plus four adults and four bikes for weekends away or day trips far enough that we carpool
I typically use hitch racks (1up for the last couple of years), and while I won't throw that out, I'll probably switch over to a tailgate pad. It seems like the bed cam and gear guard are pushing in this direction.

The shuttle system mentioned for the camp kitchen seems like it would be useful for tools and the fridge. Like many others, I'm hoping this is sold as a standalone option, of course if Rivian decides to offer the accessories I want, that works for me.

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.

More to come as additional accessories become available over the next few months.

What do you think? Ideas on other accessories or customizations to support mountain biking? If you think the R1S would be better, I don't blame you - I have a large SUV now, and it does have it's advantages. I like being able to carry bikes inside the SUV on long trips and fit a full size air mattress for solo camping.
Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge
They have shown pictures of a fridge for the frunk. Otherwise, our family is likely following your same plan for biking adventures.

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
They have shown pictures of a fridge for the frunk. Otherwise, our family is likely following your same plan for biking adventures.
I've heard talk of a custom fridge that fits the frunk (although never saw any pictures) but given that a few options have proven to not be viable once they dug in, we'll see where the fridge lands. Any OEM fridge option will likely be added to my order.

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
A natural fit for e-mountain biking as well. Sorry if ebikes are taboo
My neighbors have e-bikes. They love them. They say it increases their fun time because they can do 20-25 mile rides in a shorter amount of time and not be blown up on the last climb of the day. They chat away on the same climbs I am at 170 bpm and gasping.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I think the R1T is a great rig for my biking. One of the reasons I didn’t get a Tesla was because there isn’t really a good way to travel with bikes.

Originally, I was going with the R1S so I could put my bike in the back when solo or on hitch rack when on vacation and need room, but after thinking about it, the rack on the rail over the bed with the bed cover hiding gear is a great option. I will just lock the snot out of the bike.

The gear tunnel and “staging area” bench are perfect for sitting down to put shoes on or finish a water bottle after the ride.

kccougar

First Name
kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, VW Atlas, BMW 328iC, Mini Countryman, Chevrolet Colorado
Occupation
Engineer
Mountain biking is why I'm getting the R1T - I love just hanging my bikes over the tailgate when headed out to a trailhead.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
A natural fit for e-mountain biking as well. Sorry if ebikes are taboo
I sold a carbon fiber 29er after buying a 27.5+ ebike. The ebike is definitely cool, and good for my not-in-great-shape self, but there are definitely pros & cons. The ebike is HEAVY; it has a great suspension but it's still a tank.

I sold my old bike to a friend & had the chance to swap bikes & get back on it over the summer while on a trip. After being on the ebike, that thing feels like a feather and completely different riding experience...kind of wish I would've kept it.

Everybody that rides the ebike says they're going to get one though...

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Everybody that rides the ebike says they're going to get one though...
Not everyone. I've ridden an ebike (although not for very long) and have no intention of getting one (although at the end of some longer rides I regret not having one).

Sponsored

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
In addition to mountain biking, I have a gravel bike that I use for back road exploration and some light racing in years past. I commute on that, and if my commute ever changes to be 20 miles, instead of the few it is now, I'd consider an ebike.

That said, I have a few friends with ebikes and I can drain their batteries if I want to. If having an ebike is what it takes for people to get out and get exercise, or commute by bike, I'm all for it.

When I can buy a sub $5000 sub 30 pound ebike that I can use for the more epic rides I go on, I'll consider it, but I think we are a ways off from that, so I'll stick with pedaling for now.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not everyone. I've ridden an ebike (although not for very long) and have no intention of getting one (although at the end of some longer rides I regret not having one).
I should have said "everyone that has ridden mine...". There's definitely tradeoffs, and I can relate with both sides.

I got a large battery & a very powerful mid drive motor, but I would go smaller on both if I had the chance to do it over.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I think the R1T is a great rig for my biking. One of the reasons I didn’t get a Tesla was because there isn’t really a good way to travel with bikes.

Originally, I was going with the R1S so I could put my bike in the back when solo or on hitch rack when on vacation and need room, but after thinking about it, the rack on the rail over the bed with the bed cover hiding gear is a great option. I will just lock the snot out of the bike.

The gear tunnel and “staging area” bench are perfect for sitting down to put shoes on or finish a water bottle after the ride.
I know Rivian has some pics of bikes mounted up on the rack over the bed. Are you thinking of going that route? I like it for the reason you stated - locking tonneau cover to hide all the gear, but it always seems like more work than just throwing it over the tailgate, and the frunk is available for gear. On the other hand, having the ability to do both might enable better capabilities for longer trips where the frunk isn't quite enough.

I built a fork mount for the back of my SUV now, and it works well, but the grease stains on the carpet are starting to build up. I'm not sure how I always manage to do that, but I do. I'd hate to be doing it on a brand new R1S, so I'd probably always opt to store bikes outside anyway.

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
That's going to be the hard part. I think my motor & battery alone weigh well over 30...
The lightest I'm aware of is the Specialized Turbo Levo SL, which is 38 pounds, but they are definitely starting to hit limits I don't think they'll surpass soon. That's also a $10,000 bike.
Sponsored