First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
I'd say go for it. Start a thread and see what people think. I would be in favor of it, but I already posted how I thought an Avalanche style fold down cab/bed patrician wall would be the most versatile for the R1T.

I'm doubtful thought it'll change any time soon with production being so close.

Maybe the R2T... Just maybe?
hi Jacob - Thanks for the encouragement. I started a thread "Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future?" and a few folks have contributed.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
hi Jacob - Thanks for the encouragement. I started a thread "Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future?" and a few folks have contributed.
One more option I'd like would be lights on the hatch door similar to what the new Bronco has.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Instead of a solar canopy, I'd rather there be an onboard solar controller with MC4 type ports in the bed. That way you can stack your own solar panel rig and place them where the sun happens to be at camp.

I also like the idea of a separate motor that drives the equivalent of a PTO for stationary stuff like wood chippers. But as this is more of an adventure truck than a work truck, I don't really see the broader value of such an item.

The thing that has me interested is really the towing capacity and potential range with the 180kWh battery. Towing with a Model X has been great, but more range plus bed storage would be a huge benefit for me.

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
Are any commonly-seen vehicle seats truly "cooled"? I thought they were all ventilated. The Rivian's will be ventilated.

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
I forget where exactly I saw it, ... dropped the vehicle from a height of I think 2 feet, directly onto a rock to make sure there were no punctures.
Copy that. What I heard in Denver was a drop from 3 meters onto a 2 inch spike. Seemed impossible, but that's what the rep said.

Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
If the drivers information panel cannot be fully customized that is one thing I would like to see. Having all the gauges or panel be widget to put them where you want to see them.
Definitely want to see a solar tonneau cover to all charging or extending of range.

Anyone know what towing or hauling will do to the battery usage? I was thinking it might be nice if Rivian made their own line of trailers with a batter in the base frame the same as the vehicle. Have a way in the connections to allow the trailers battery to be used and charged when charging the vehicle. Could help save or extend range when hauling or traveling.
To all who are asking for solar on the vehicle though that would be very cool unless there are some recent developments I don't know about we are still aways from that being a viable option. EV vehicles take way more power to charge than any solar panel on the roof or tonneou could provide. My offgrid house uses about 16 - 3.5' x 6' panels and I still run a generator some times in the Winter. If I want to charge my Rivian from it I will likely have to do it during the daytime when the sun is bright ! Still I can imagine a future when no plugging in (or refueling) was ever needed.

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
I have a 18.6 kWp system on my house and the best day this year produced 115 kW in a day. Seems to me that if we are putting a panel on the R1T then that would be only helpful at running some auxiliary stuff.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I have a couple of wants/wishes:

1.) Sentry mode a la Tesla to use the existing cameras on the Rivian as dash cams to record everything while driving and monitor & record activity around the vehicle when parked.
2.) Lockable, secure storage compartment for the center console. Aftermarket suppliers might fill this niche eventually, but it would be nice to have it available as a factory installed option.
Absolutely Sentry mode. Who knows how ICE truck owners are going to react to these new trucks in the outback. Look at the kickback on Teslas and think about it for trucks. Maybe even add some electroshock features like the car KITT had in Knight Rider !

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
One thing I don't see mentioned would be slide out rack for the gear tunnel similar to the pull out kitchen but more for tools and other smaller items. That thing right now is best suited to long skinny things that can be grabbed easily without reaching way in, but if someone were storing tools for example they would be hard to access while bending over and trying to reach in. Make a slide out maybe one for each side that would fit that odd shape and hold smaller items. and then pull out !

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I don't think those of us that would like some type of PV covering (roof and/or frunk or tonneau) believe it will make a large impact in charging/range, but it will help. Over the course of a year, if you have a PV covered roof (perhaps 300w today, higher as they get better) instead of the glass sunroof you may be able to get the equivalent of a full battery charge or two if your R1 sits out in a parking lot during the workday. Before the flames start, I am just estimating this, but I see that as more value to me than an electrochromic roof - at probably a similar cost. I have a 14.1 kW array on my roof and the more power I make the happier I will be...

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
see that as more value to me than an electrochromic roof - at probably a similar cost
I doubt the cost is similar, but I'm just guessing.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I don't think those of us that would like some type of PV covering (roof and/or frunk or tonneau) believe it will make a large impact in charging/range, but it will help. Over the course of a year, if you have a PV covered roof (perhaps 300w today, higher as they get better) instead of the glass sunroof you may be able to get the equivalent of a full battery charge or two if your R1 sits out in a parking lot during the workday. Before the flames start, I am just estimating this, but I see that as more value to me than an electrochromic roof - at probably a similar cost. I have a 14.1 kW array on my roof and the more power I make the happier I will be...
Undoubtably the future. We are just not there yet I n terms of practicality. For now we just need more Grid power produced by large solar and wind arrays. Makes me wonder about adding wind power do the front of an EV.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Makes me wonder about adding wind power do the front of an EV.
Adding wind power to the front of an EV isn't going to work. It would be like driving while having regenerative braking engaged.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
The reason some sort of solar canopy/solar suitcase would be helpful to me is really more about mitigating vampire drain while parked out in the wild, and less about adding significant range. When we're boondocking for a week, I can lose 30 miles of range on my Model X. And given the nature of boondocking/USFS dispersed camping, I'm generally not very close to charging during those times, so those losses can be a little stressful. I wake up each morning and check the range on the car, to see if I have to make a plan to leave early or find charging and return.

If the Rivian R1T consumes in the ballpark of 400Wh/mi, and has a similar range loss due to vampire drain (~4 miles a day), that's 1600Wh I'd need a day to entirely offset vampire drain. Even that would be difficult (but not impossible) with a folding solar array. I built a 200W folding array for my camper and can usually add about 800Wh/day during summer camping months without working too hard following the sun. It's very lightweight and I could easily make a 400W version.. so I think I could come close, once again assuming that the Rivian doesn't do better or worse than the Tesla does on that drain.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
f the Rivian R1T consumes in the ballpark of 400Wh/mi, and has a similar range loss due to vampire drain (~4 miles a day), that's 1600Wh I'd need a day to entirely offset vampire drain.
Interesting that you correlated vampire drain to consumption while operating. The Rivians lower efficiency that the Tesla is likely largely due to aero, weight, and other factors that would only come into play while driving.
I think it more likely that the drain will be closer in Wh/day rather than miles/day. Plus Tesla is pretty much at the top of the charts for vampire drain, and I think it likely Rivian will be lower.
Sponsored