R1S vs Model X

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Thanks for positing thrill. I watched the entire deal and he’s both 100% right and 100% off…I have been saying for a long time that the R1S specifically is stealing dissatisfied Land Rover owners like me, NOT Tesla Model X owners. You can’t even transport SUP Paddle Boards or long surf boards on a Model X due to the stupid gull-wing doors. Owners of model X aren’t in the same category as what the R1S is going to steal from Land Rover—-suckers like me that paid for two Range Rovers instead of one due to the horrible/built-in problems, where the dealers make more money from repairs than the sale of the vehicle itself. That’s why I’m investing in an R1S…not because of Tesla, not because of any environmental benefit, only because I’d like to only pay for a rugged, capable luxury SUV once, and not twice over five to ten years.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Whenever I think Model X I think of this
Every time I watch this it confuses me. I cannot fathom how this person didn't realize that half their car was open. I also don't understand how the hell tesla lets that thing move with it open. And if they did know the door was open, but it wouldn't close and they had to go take care of it or something, how the hell were they so stupid to drive that quickly and not be like "oh hey, there's big ass bus coming up, maybe I should slow down and be careful"

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This guy has a very favorable opinion of the R1S vs the Model X, but the thing that really got to me was his dead perfect impression of my neighbor fan boi.
Well you just can't deny it. An apple is much redder than an orange.

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Thanks for positing thrill. I watched the entire deal and he’s both 100% right and 100% off…I have been saying for a long time that the R1S specifically is stealing dissatisfied Land Rover owners like me, NOT Tesla Model X owners. You can’t even transport SUP Paddle Boards or long surf boards on a Model X due to the stupid gull-wing doors. Owners of model X aren’t in the same category as what the R1S is going to steal from Land Rover—-suckers like me that paid for two Range Rovers instead of one due to the horrible/built-in problems, where the dealers make more money from repairs than the sale of the vehicle itself. That’s why I’m investing in an R1S…not because of Tesla, not because of any environmental benefit, only because I’d like to only pay for a rugged, capable luxury SUV once, and not twice over five to ten years.
I agree that Tela Model X customers are generally not that interested in off-road capabilities, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a significant overlap between the target market the R1S and the Model X can serve. The thing with the R1S is that it can both address the needs of the off-road enthusiast AND the city dweller that wants to carry around a bunch of people and/or stuff. The way I think about it is that if you were to draw a Venn diagram of the two target markets, the R1S would be much larger, and it would overlap significantly with the Model X’s to the point that only a small part would be outside the common area, especially once the RAN is further deployed and the Rivian brand gets more established amongst the general population. Perhaps there will still be some people who still prefer the Model X because it’s a bit smaller, because of its crossover looks, the Tesla brand and the larger charging network, and the FSD capabilities, but I believe this group will become smaller in time.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
Every time I watch this it confuses me. I cannot fathom how this person didn't realize that half their car was open. I also don't understand how the hell tesla lets that thing move with it open. And if they did know the door was open, but it wouldn't close and they had to go take care of it or something, how the hell were they so stupid to drive that quickly and not be like "oh hey, there's big ass bus coming up, maybe I should slow down and be careful"
I have an X. I've driven down the middle of our neighborhood street with the doors open and kids in back laughing out butts off. Now, it beeps annoyingly when you're in drive with the doors open. There's another video on YouTube of a dude crashing his into his own garage (link below). You can hear the beep and I'm like "why is he ignoring the beeps????".

That said, I'm on the fence if I replace my X with the R1S or not. Our X is really a fun car to drive and gets free supercharging for life, free premium connectivity for life, and has FSD. At this point I'm thinking it'll replace my Model 3, but I've got a year or more before I have to make that call.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The history of aviation includes a long list of devices intended to keep pilots from landing without extending their landing gear including one that waved a flag in front of his face if he tried to do it. None of these devices was fully successful.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I have an X.

It's a great car and I went the route of the X to replace my custom built Dodge Durango R/T that I basically built out into an SRT (Whipple SuperCharger and all) as I was both tired of dropping $100+ a week on Premium (ya ya ya... mostly self inflicted wound there), but also the environmental impact I was having.

Plus, every Dodge/Ram/Jeep product I've owned has turned into a damn maintenance nightmare, and it's warranty was up... so screw that.

So, went looking for a 6-7 passenger SUV that's and EV... I had like... no choices. It was the X or.... nothing.

I do love it, odd squeaks, rattles, and all. It's a cool damn car, fun to drive, and 95% of the time, does everything I ask of it (Camping, road tripping, trips to Costco, etc...). Plus, it's fun when folks react to it. Little kids (ok... little boys, be they 6 or 46) are a hoot when they see it driving down the road or pulling in, especially when the rear doors pop up (not while driving down the road, I can't imagine the stresses on those hinges/joints as it is, add in movement and vibration... hell no).

That said, it's also a huge pain in the ass. I had to buy a Yakima trailer for our kayaks (and got damn good at backing up a trailer as a result) since our roof racks won't work on it. Parking garages are a damn nightmare as those falcon doors are super leery of stuff above them. And parking in general is a suck-fest in narrow spots as whoever is in the back is screwed... doors don't like to open at all in those situations.

Now, this all said, do I think the R1S will cannibalize sales of the X? Totally. There are no other 3 row 6-7 passenger SUV's out there. So your choices are the Tesla X or the R1S (and plug in hybrids don't count). So for people that don't like the falcon doors and all the impacts there of, or (like me) really have a distain for the yoke steering wheel in the new X, and the loss of all of the physical controls, the R1S will definitely be an option. Not to mention cost, the R1S is the same price new, as I can get for my 4 year old X 100D.

Will it kill the Model X? Oh hell no. It will, I think, be a major issue for the Land Rover/Range Rover group though.

Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
When I preordered the R1S on day one back in 2018 my thinking was that’d I’d either get it, or get a refund and buy a Model X, which I assumed would see a tech stack update by the time the R1S actually shipped.

Now that we are getting close, I’m all in on the R1S LE. Our gear needs for camping and whatnot are the reasons for me. The Model X doors drive me crazy. Mechanically complicated and reduce usability.

FWIW, we’ve have a Tesla for years and we will keep it as our 2nd car.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

The Gullwing doors are the dumbest thing. Cool for a moment but in reality just dumb. All the freezing on the locking mechanism, the inability to have a roof rack, and on and on.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I agree that Tela Model X customers are generally not that interested in off-road capabilities, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a significant overlap between the target market the R1S and the Model X can serve. The thing with the R1S is that it can both address the needs of the off-road enthusiast AND the city dweller that wants to carry around a bunch of people and/or stuff. The way I think about it is that if you were to draw a Venn diagram of the two target markets, the R1S would be much larger, and it would overlap significantly with the Model X’s to the point that only a small part would be outside the common area, especially once the RAN is further deployed and the Rivian brand gets more established amongst the general population. Perhaps there will still be some people who still prefer the Model X because it’s a bit smaller, because of its crossover looks, the Tesla brand and the larger charging network, and the FSD capabilities, but I believe this group will become smaller in time.
100% Agree. The overlap in target audience is huge. Especially considering they are the only large all electric SUV's. While Rivian is positioning their brand as "off road / adventure friendly" that doesn't stop others from buying the car. A very sizable percentage of Land Rovers and Jeep Grand Cherokee's never touch anything rougher than a strip mall's pavement.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
The Gullwing doors are the dumbest thing. Cool for a moment but in reality just dumb. All the freezing on the locking mechanism, the inability to have a roof rack, and on and on.
Model X owner here.

Also tall, and also parent of two small children.

Besides "range for an EV" and safety, the falcon wing doors were easily #3 on the list of reasons we liked the Model X.

Getting kids in and out of carseats with normal swing out doors? PITA.

Minivan? improved, but still awkward bending down under the roof frame.

Model X? An absolutely dream. Never been as accessible as a car as it before, and I fear with all of the hate they get there never will be again.

As much as I expect to love my R1T and plan to drive it whenever I'm solo or for road trips, the Model X will continue being the obvious choice for school drop-offs and pickups and family nights out.

Back when the Model Y was slated to have falcon wings, we were on board to replace our last ICE car with one.

Once the falcon wings were dropped, we immediately stopped considering it.

The *design tradeoff* of having no roof storage is objective, and if you need the roof storage that'll be a problem for you. We've never had any of the functional problems with the doors *as designed* that people spout off about.

TLDR; A++++ would falcon wing door again.

(But do I think some Model X buyers will go to R1S? After R1S are shipping in volume, sure)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
When I was a kid in my teens I thought the Mercedes 300SL was the coolest thing I had ever seen. When I was a kid in my 70's I thought the Tesla Model X was the coolest thing I had ever seen so I bought one and later another and never regretted it. But what has any of that to do with the R1S? Orthogonal.
Sponsored