Sponsored

R1S Towing Capabilities (tow a 34’ camping trailer)?

dg770

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla
Occupation
Non Profit CEO
Hey everyone, first post here. I put down my deposit for an R1S a couple of weeks ago. I’m hoping to take a camping trailer (7000 lb) on road trips around the south east.

Does anyone have experience towing a 34’ camping trailer with their R1S?

Of course I’ll get WDH. I’m planning to get the dual motor
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Congratulations!

We have some experience towing ours. Ours is 5000-5500 and the walterboro EA station is supposedly fixed now. How often do you plan to tow?

Range will be about 115 mi on the low end to 140 mi on the high end. Assuming you have a traditional travel trailer. Weight matters less then the aero of the trailer. Weight does come into play when your increasing elevation though.

I haven't had to unhitch yet but mine is a little shorter than yours at only 28 ft.

We use ABRP with reference consumption @65 set to 1 mi per kwh. Seems to do well in our experience. Keep it below 65 if possible for best efficiency. I found 60 mph gives best efficiency vs time.

Here is video of our trip to Hilton head:

Last edited:
OP
OP

dg770

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla
Occupation
Non Profit CEO
Nice! Thanks for sharing. What pack do you have? We’re planning on getting large pack

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Nice! Thanks for sharing. What pack do you have? We’re planning on getting large pack
It tows like a boss. Little more sway and bouncing in R1S.

We have quad motor with large pack.

Check the tongue weight on your trailer and make sure it's below the max of 810 for R1S.

Also, it's something I repeat frequently to. Folks who are towing. doesn't apply specifically to Rivian. But there is a lot of confusion about what a vehicle can safely tow. Basically what I do is I subtract the curb weight from the gross vehicle weight rating and then I also need to subtract off the additional people and stuff that I have in the truck. What's left over is what I can safely place on the tongue. Most trailers are about 10% but some can go as high as 17% on the tongue.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You likely won’t be able to tow a 7000lb trailer and be within the manufacturer limits. That’s a 900lb tongue weight if it’s set up properly.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Hey everyone, first post here. I put down my deposit for an R1S a couple of weeks ago. I’m hoping to take a camping trailer (7000 lb) on road trips around the south east.

Does anyone have experience towing a 34’ camping trailer with their R1S?

Of course I’ll get WDH. I’m planning to get the dual motor
Check out the All Electric Family EV Towing youtube playlist. They've got a 30' AirStream that they've towed w/ their R1S, R1T, Hummer EV, and Ford Lightning for comparisons.
Sponsored