Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover, BMW, F250
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hi All,

We finally test drove a R1S couple weeks ago after a major snow storm in Denver. Ambient temp was around 28'f. Wanted to check if any of you have had a similar impression/experience.

1. High pitched motor sound inside the cabin. Our X5 45e is very quiet when running solely on battery. Test drove a Tesla and EQB/S - their cabins are also very quiet.
2. HVAC blowers really loud. We had it set to auto mode and 69'F. It was 28'F but at some point the temp should equalize for the blowers to slow. We were in the vehicle for 40 mins and there was no change.
3. Vehicle could not recognize the lanes albeit the roads were snow packed.
4. Did not get a chance to test the audio system.

I have asked for more opportunities to drive the vehicle again with at least one of them in the dark. Want to see how the cabin, instrumentation and exterior are lit in the dark.

The cabin noise was the most disappointing aspect. Would appreciate any feedback from you folks.

Cheers,
Sk

R1S/Green estimated delivery Jul/23.
Current Vehicles: X5 45e/i3/Rover/F250
Sponsored

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
This is worrying. We are a X5 45e household as well and cabin noise would be a big deal for my wife. I want our R1S to be the family mobile when it arrives but if it's too noisy, I will certainly hear it from the boss :). Really interested to see what the other R1S owners have to say.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have asked for more opportunities to drive the vehicle again with at least one of them in the dark. Want to see how the cabin, instrumentation and exterior are lit in the dark.
Odd request, especially since the service center closes before dark.

I was able to test drive an R1S and recently switched to an R1T, so asked if I could test drive an R1T. Their response was that reservation holders are only allowed one test drive per reservation, but that they would note down my request. Good luck!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It is normal to hear some motor/inverter noise, Rivians do make a little noise instead of trying to be dead silent like Tesla. I found it barely noticeable and certainly not objectionable. In fact, I actually liked it and feel it provides the vehicle with a little character.

Sponsored

dnguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 45e
I'm another X5 45e owner switched to R1T, I agree about the cabin sound but like others said it's more like a design thing. After a week you will get used to it, people don't believe me but my R1T enter/exit corners better than the X5 :cool:

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

800+ horse power and 4 motors vs an X45e. My Vette is louder than our Jeep too. Is that a worthy trade off is the question? Power still equals noise in most cases I believe.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I like the motor noise. My Polestar 2 is nearly silent. It's nice to get some audible feedback of how hard the vehicle is working, otherwise it just has a somewhat dead feeling to it. I guess if you aren't the type of person to drive a vehicle hard, you might not want it.

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Odd request, especially since the service center closes before dark.

I was able to test drive an R1S and recently switched to an R1T, so asked if I could test drive an R1T. Their response was that reservation holders are only allowed one test drive per reservation, but that they would note down my request. Good luck!
If your in Winston Salem NC you can test drive my R1-T 👍

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Hi All,

We finally test drove a R1S couple weeks ago after a major snow storm in Denver. Ambient temp was around 28'f. Wanted to check if any of you have had a similar impression/experience.

1. High pitched motor sound inside the cabin. Our X5 45e is very quiet when running solely on battery. Test drove a Tesla and EQB/S - their cabins are also very quiet.
2. HVAC blowers really loud. We had it set to auto mode and 69'F. It was 28'F but at some point the temp should equalize for the blowers to slow. We were in the vehicle for 40 mins and there was no change.
3. Vehicle could not recognize the lanes albeit the roads were snow packed.
4. Did not get a chance to test the audio system.

The cabin noise was the most disappointing aspect. Would appreciate any feedback from you folks.

Cheers,
Sk

R1S/Green estimated delivery Jul/23.
Current Vehicles: X5 45e/i3/Rover/F250
I have 2,000 miles in and I would say almost no cabin noise. You can sometimes hear the compressor if you change heights or have it on auto.

For fan noise, it should only be like that if you are below temp and have it set to auto fan.

I am not an X household so that may be part of the issue. This thing is super quiet on the highway. And to me all around.

BUT I am coming from a crv so there is that.

I know some early Ts had issues with wind noise. At least my S does not (Vin in 3000s)

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
When you are at highway/cruising speeds, do you hear a constant whine or is it just on acceleration? It's the former that would worry me.

OP
OP
mogambo

mogambo

First Name
Sri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover, BMW, F250
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I like the motor noise. My Polestar 2 is nearly silent. It's nice to get some audible feedback of how hard the vehicle is working, otherwise it just has a somewhat dead feeling to it. I guess if you aren't the type of person to drive a vehicle hard, you might not want it.
You got my question wrong. I am not averse to noise. I do have and love my diesel F250 and Rover even the X545e in sports makes a throaty growl.

We were just surprised with the noise level in the cabin and wanted to hear current owners opinions and observations.

Looked at the R1T but there is no way I could justify replacing the F250 with the R1T.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
My R1S is a hell of a lot quieter than my wife's 911 and while the noises are different, and may take getting used to, it is every bit as quiet as our former GLS450 and quieter than my F-150.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I'm going to automatically assume it's going to be quieter than my JGC so that's a win. Especially when you get on it. I'd assume though the First Mile drive, they don't really let you "get on it" and you are going to be hyper sensitive to any differences from what you expect. I expect I'll find the lack of noise somewhat disconcerting.
Sponsored