Sponsored

R1S delivery taking so long - because they need to work out all the bugs

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
After reading far too many posts, watching WAY to many review videos (to the point I blocked a few channels on youtube cause they create weekly garbage for views), I've finally come to the conclusion on WHY the R1S is taking so long to hit the streets. Hear me out.

R1T users are truck people, similar to Lightning (which is just an electric F150). Truck people are used to trucks - they are much more forgiving of issues until they are extreme; like the guy who sold his R1T after the 5th time in the service center. Truck people will keep their Ford or Ram forever, until the thing falls apart and they've run out of duct tape to keep it together.

R1S though is a whole different market, especially after they've forced the 7 seater on many of us who only wanted 5. That aside, the target audience if VERY different. They are family people, after all Rivian has made the R1S in to the "adventure family hauler" and the "only true 7 seat SUV available". These are quotes from media reviews, but anyway. And yes, even the soccer moms that need to haul the entire team.

But that's the point. Soccer moms are not going to put up with the nonsense truck people will. First time an R1S leaves them stranded with some error message and a load of crying kids, word will get out and travel faster than rumors of affairs in the celebrity world. Rivian knows this target audience.

They know if they don't have all of the bugs worked out, hardware and software - as well as throughout their entire system including service centers - that the complaints will come rolling in, and reputation (albeit small) will be hurt.

I'm justifying the delays on this, hoping all of the issues you R1T folks have had to deal with are gone by the time they start rolling R1S off the line in any volume. So thank you beta testing R1T people. For finding all of the issues in the software, for putting up with the service issues, the strandings, and all of the annoying "who makes that" people.

We R1S people thank you, keep up the good work, just don't take too long.
Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
This is bizarre reasoning.

The R1S is probably delayed because of part shortage or an issue with the tailgate. The idea they'd be comfortable releasing the R1T with bugs but not the R1S with the same bugs is nonsensical.

It's also going to take YEARS, not weeks or months, to work out these kinks, especially in this day and age. Everyone is beta testing a Rivian for the next couple of years.

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is bizarre reasoning.

The R1S is probably delayed because of part shortage or an issue with the tailgate. The idea they'd be comfortable releasing the R1T with bugs but not the R1S with the same bugs is nonsensical.

Considering that even RJ said that the vehicles are over 90% the same part, it would have to be as you said something VERY specific to the R1S - if it's the 3rd row seats I swear.....

And it's not that they are "comfortable" but again they know the market. Just like they knew they had to get the T out before the S in order to beat both the Lightning and at the time the threat of the cybertruck (laugh). They knew nothing else was going to be available to complete with R1S by the time there would be things to compete with the R1T. There still isn't.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I can certainly see where you’re coming from with your rationale, but the two audiences you highlight (truck guys vs soccer moms) are not mutually exclusive to R1T and R1S respectively. A better characterization might be people who want a second leisure vehicle/toy vs someone who wants a daily driver. And those two audiences will exist across both vehicles.

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can certainly see where you’re coming from with your rationale, but the two audiences you highlight (truck guys vs soccer moms) are not mutually exclusive to R1T and R1S respectively. A better characterization might be people who want a second leisure vehicle/toy vs someone who wants a daily driver. And those two audiences will exist across both vehicles.

Note, I did say family also, but you're point is valid.

Do you consider R1T a daily driver vs R1S not, or simply that people who need a daily driver won't put up with the issues - i.e. they need reliability or defects.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
“Soccer moms“ are going to turn up the radio to make the funny noise their suv is making go away.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Note, I did say family also, but you're point is valid.

Do you consider R1T a daily driver vs R1S not, or simply that people who need a daily driver won't put up with the issues - i.e. they need reliability or defects.
The latter - people who need a daily driver will likely have less patience with the issues, whether its dropping kids off (R1S) or working on a vineyard (R1T).

The R1S will be my household's only vehicle, but at the same time neither my wife nor I commute to work. So I think I will have some patience when it comes to fixing issues, as long as we are covered by loaners if and when the vehicle is in the shop.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

“Soccer moms“ are going to turn up the radio to make the funny noise their suv is making go away.
They could just ask the kids to be quiet.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

R1T was the first electric truck to market, so Rivian got a lot of publicity off of that. The R1T is more unique, able to grab attention with things no other truck has, like a gear tunnel. Or a camp kitchen. Don't get me wrong, the R1S looks nice, but there are other 7 passenger SUVs out there.

I think it was as simple as which one would get more press.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
For what its worth my guess is that Hyundai Transys is taking a dump on Rivian; and taking forever to get them rear/mid seat components....

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
R1S is 90% R1T. Seats and tailgate are the big differences. Does Rivian want to improve first time quality? Yes, of course. Are they delaying the R1S because they are afraid of Soccer Mom Karen? No.

Reactions: Guy

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I would be willing to bet that the primary reason for the delay of the R1S - and the R1T Max - is because Rivian made the decision to wait to introduce them into their production line. Sure, there may be some supply chain issues, but I'm sure the delay is deliberate.

Rivian increased R1 production this past quarter by about 42%, to 4,401 units from 2,553 in Q1. That's a significant achievement. They actually need to improve on that to get to their stated target of 15,000/25,000 units for 2022 however. In rough terms, this means Rivian needs to double Q2 production in Q3, then do the same again for Q4. That's realistic only with the present model mix; R1T Adventures (with the LR battery and very limited options) on one line and whatever EDV variants they're currently making on the other production line. Adding the R1T Max to the mix would be a challenge, and trying to introduce the R1S would be an even greater challenge.

While Rivian is understandably eager to start delivering the R1S (and the R1T Max), both were supposed to be in customers hands months ago, it's even more important for Rivian to get to something approaching full rate production first. This will enable them to make their 2022 vehicle production target of 25,000 (15,000+ R1's and the rest EDVs). I don't know what Rivian's production plan for the R1S is (my guess is that it will start down the same line as the R1T but then be split off to an Alt line for unique work), but whatever it is, once Rivian starts R1S production in earnest, it will negatively impact overall rates. This is the long way of saying that starting R1S production now would put the goal of getting to 25,000 vehicles in jeopardy.

Rivian's best chance to get to some semblance of full production rates for the R1S as quickly as possible is, ironically, to wait until they get to that milestone with the R1T. They're making progress in that, but they're not there yet. I don't see them taking a chance at slowing their progress by adding the challenge of making the significant numbers of the R1S until some time in the future, perhaps mid-to-late 2023.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The OP just seems bitter that he and the very few who wanted a five seat version of the S have to get it with seven.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

For what its worth my guess is that Hyundai Transys is taking a dump on Rivian; and taking forever to get them rear/mid seat components....
Given your reputation and the..um...oddly specific nature of this guess I'm going to assume it's correct.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Baaahhhaa. This is my wife. No doubt.
Sponsored