OP

Vustadumas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model Y Performance, Mercedes Sprinter
Occupation
Artist
Mine was in the door as well and they brought it to PDR who didn't fix it completely. Brought it back again and said that hey can't do PDR to it and recommend a new skin? They said it doesn't affect the credit report but no clue what I should do. I said yes to the skin but I'm wondering how it'll turn out with paint and blending etc...
Just have them repair it. My service center knew PDR wasn't possible and said it wasn't an option. Originally we had ordered a whole new door and had it shipped to the repair facility. Once my car was brought in, the body shop said they could spot fix much easier than replacing the whole door. Biggest issues were of course having to repaint a large amount of the entire side of the car with a door replacement, as blending it together would be a bit of a gamble. Also, the body shop said my door fitment was exceptional, and removing and adding a whole new door would most likely introduce gaps and misalignment. I opted for the spot fix, and they did a really good job with it. If I stick my face in the area where it was, I can still see a very faint line where the crease was hammered out. You'd never know there was an issue with it, looking at it now.

Rivian went above and beyond to fix the issue for me, and I'm grateful for their effort.
Sponsored

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Just have them repair it. My service center knew PDR wasn't possible and said it wasn't an option. Originally we had ordered a whole new door and had it shipped to the repair facility. Once my car was brought in, the body shop said they could spot fix much easier than replacing the whole door. Biggest issues were of course having to repaint a large amount of the entire side of the car with a door replacement, as blending it together would be a bit of a gamble. Also, the body shop said my door fitment was exceptional, and removing and adding a whole new door would most likely introduce gaps and misalignment. I opted for the spot fix, and they did a really good job with it. If I stick my face in the area where it was, I can still see a very faint line where the crease was hammered out. You'd never know there was an issue with it, looking at it now.

Rivian went above and beyond to fix the issue for me, and I'm grateful for their effort.
I think the guy told me it's a new skin so I'm assuming it's different than what you did? He showed me other trucks that you can look from the back to the front and see all kinds of waves in the body panels. Mine seemed like it happened after it was at the SC and I didn't want to accuse them of hitting it with a cart or something but I noticed it when I got it back. They did PDR the first time, seemed ok but now the PDR guy said it's too stretched I believe to be able to fix it. Not sure if I should drive there and look at it or not to see if I should just keep it or do like you mentioned and just have them repair it. He said it wouldn't show up on carfax either but just a stressful first world problem lol

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

I have a Rivian and a Tesla. The Tesla came in with a significant quarter size paint problem. We rejected it and got a perfect one. We found a scratch on the black trim around the roof of the Rivian which they were able to fix. I would not take delivery of Rivian with a dent. I would wait for a new one.

OP
OP

Vustadumas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Artist
I have a Rivian and a Tesla. The Tesla came in with a significant quarter size paint problem. We rejected it and got a perfect one. We found a scratch on the black trim around the roof of the Rivian which they were able to fix. I would not take delivery of Rivian with a dent. I would wait for a new one.
I rejected the first MYP Tesla tried to deliver me. Looked like it had been out in a hail storm, not to mention the gaps were unacceptable, and missing the rear spoiler altogether.

For the Rivian, I really struggled with fixing it initially, but glad I went that route. It would be another month or two from now, before I would have received another quad. It just wasn't worth waiting that long.

bluey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hello,

I'm in similar situation where I proceeded with accepting my vehicle with some panel misalignments and a ding on the front driver's side door. My service center attempted a PDR but couldn't repair the ding and it's still visible from a narrow angle. Sadly, I cannot unsee what I see.

Rivian agreed to replace the front door, and it's been sitting in a body shop's parking lot for almost a month, waiting for the parts, etc. I'm told. Over the weekend, I used my Rivian app to locate my vehicle to take a look at my vehicle, and to my horrid surprise, they had not touched much of my door, but took out a big chunks of my front bumper and driver's side headlight, etc.

Do you think it's required to take these parts out in order to replace the front door, or did something happen to my vehicle while in their possession?

Oh my head hurts...

Sponsored

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Hello,

I'm in similar situation where I proceeded with accepting my vehicle with some panel misalignments and a ding on the front driver's side door. My service center attempted a PDR but couldn't repair the ding and it's still visible from a narrow angle. Sadly, I cannot unsee what I see.

Rivian agreed to replace the front door, and it's been sitting in a body shop's parking lot for almost a month, waiting for the parts, etc. I'm told. Over the weekend, I used my Rivian app to locate my vehicle to take a look at my vehicle, and to my horrid surprise, they had not touched much of my door, but took out a big chunks of my front bumper and driver's side headlight, etc.

Do you think it's required to take these parts out in order to replace the front door, or did something happen to my vehicle while in their possession?

Oh my head hurts...
Hello,

Oh my head hurts...
I'm in the same boat but they told me a door skin was needed. Going to the certified collision center tomorrow to talk it over but I think I'm going to say no. It's just too much work having to sand down a potentially the back door plus front quarter panel to blend the paint. I'm concerned it won't look as good and I really need to look at it from an angle to see it. I know it's there too and annoys me but I think it will fade over time. Rivian PDR guy supposedly said it's the best he could do and the skin is already stretched so I guess he can't get it to go back the other way.

Not sure how they can just give you a new factory painted door and expect it to match without blending the rest.

OP
OP

Vustadumas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Artist
Hello,

Oh my head hurts...
Mine sat for over a month before it was worked on. Not sure what Rivian's or the bodyshop's thinking is for this behavior, but I was guaranteed it was necessity. After that first month, I could see the car was moved in and out of the facility for another week or so after. I received word that the work was completed and I could pick up the car shortly after.

As for replacing the door, they send an unpainted door and will have to blend to both sides of it. They'll be repainting a large amount of that side of the car. This was my main reasoning with repair over replacement. It's a gamble fitting a new door. Could be a good fit, or it could be off-center and bug the ever living hell out of you. Not sure why they would remove the bumper and headlights. Seems unnecessary. I hope it all works out, my friend!

bluey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Mine sat for over a month before it was worked on. Not sure what Rivian's or the bodyshop's thinking is for this behavior, but I was guaranteed it was necessity. After that first month, I could see the car was moved in and out of the facility for another week or so after. I received word that the work was completed and I could pick up the car shortly after.

As for replacing the door, they send an unpainted door and will have to blend to both sides of it. They'll be repainting a large amount of that side of the car. This was my main reasoning with repair over replacement. It's a gamble fitting a new door. Could be a good fit, or it could be off-center and bug the ever living hell out of you. Not sure why they would remove the bumper and headlights. Seems unnecessary. I hope it all works out, my friend!
Thank you, Vustadumas. I asked Rivian for a clarification as to why the shop disassembled the front but haven't heard from them yet. It was a big gamble indeed. Hopefully your repair turned out to your complete satisfaction, and wish mine is the same.
Sponsored