Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good evening all.

I have a question that will make me sound like a total newbie.

1). Will patching or plugging a 21" tire on the R1T be ok?

I have nails in the two front tires but they are in the tread, so i believe they are in a place that can be patched. I know patches work in general if in tread, but since the tires of the R1T are kept at a higher PSI, will they still work? I just hate to spend $1000 if a simple repair will work.

Best

Adam
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Discount tire patched one for me, it had a screw in the tread. In Arizona, tire shops will not use plugs. And it was free.

I did a 2000 mile trip right after getting it patched.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I would have a tire shop patch from the inside for a permanent fix and they can assess the damage

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Good evening all.

I have a question that will make me sound like a total newbie.

1). Will patching or plugging a 21" tire on the R1T be ok?

I have nails in the two front tires but they are in the tread, so i believe they are in a place that can be patched. I know patches work in general if in tread, but since the tires of the R1T are kept at a higher PSI, will they still work? I just hate to spend $1000 if a simple repair will work.

Best

Adam
Just got a nail in our 21’s a couple weeks ago. Called Rivian and they told me to go to discount tire. Discount Tire had the pucks, they knew about putting it in max height and the service modes, and they did it for free in under one hour ( I dropped in without an appointment).

edit: this was in Lafayette CO

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I’ve been driving on a patched tire for the last 2,500 + miles. No issues. Discount tire did the patch.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Just got a nail in our 21’s a couple weeks ago. Called Rivian and they told me to go to discount tire. Discount Tire had the pucks, they knew about putting it in max height and the service modes, and they did it for free in under one hour ( I dropped in without an appointment).

edit: this was in Lafayette CO
🤔🤔. max height and service modes? what is that so I can make sure I mention it. hahaha. I have the pucks.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

🤔🤔. max height and service modes? what is that so I can make sure I mention it. hahaha. I have the pucks.
There is a tire change mode in the service menu, I think it turns suspensions adjustment to off so it’s not moving around while you try to change the tire. And I believe the suspension should be set to maximum height too. This is all in the manual so take a look there. Just to be sure, I would also ask them if they had worked on other Rivians when you get there.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

The proper way is with a patch plug system. Plugs alone are a bad idea. They can fail catastrophically, leak, and allow moisture in to the tire. Also, after a puncture the inside of the tire needs inspected to make sure it's still safe.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Patched one of my tire months ago and put 5k plus miles on it. No problem driving
Sponsored