David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Greetings!! Before our first step in “de-Musk-ifying (my wife still has her Model 3), the two Teslas we had would receive Over-The-Air updates for the same release at different times.

Does Rivian handle updates in a similar manner, where not everyone receives the latest version at the same time?

Thanks for all y’all’s wisdom!!

Ohm Boy
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Definitely comes in waves. There have been times I received the update on the release day and other times I didn’t get it for a full 2-3 weeks. Even if I get it right away I typically wait a few days…

They did botch one update right before Thanksgiving (2023.42 I believe), but it was caught before it went out to everyone. It did cause trouble for some owners though.

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Definitely comes in waves. There have been times I received the update on the release day and other times I didn’t get it for a full 2-3 weeks. Even if I get it right away I typically wait a few days…

They did botch one update right before Thanksgiving (2023.42 I believe), but it was caught before it went out to everyone. It did cause trouble for some owners though.
I read about an update recently that bricked the R1S. Many thanks!!

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Greetings!! Before our first step in “de-Musk-ifying (my wife still has her Model 3), the two Teslas we had would receive Over-The-Air updates for the same release at different times.

Does Rivian handle updates in a similar manner, where not everyone receives the latest version at the same time?

Thanks for all y’all’s wisdom!!

Ohm Boy
Lots of people have got the latest 2023.50.0 and I am still on 2023.46.3 which is fine. It will get pushed when it gets pushed out.

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley

Yeah, about that update 2023.42. After 2yrs 9mths 26days I finally got my R1T November 9. I had it for not quite 2wks when it said I should update. Went from 2023.38 at purchase to update 2023.41. It caused my R1T to not show a screen when entering the vehicle, neither screen. Would only show screen behind the steering wheel when put in Drive or Reverse. Showed I had 0% charge and 0 miles. I could plug it in, the green would light around the plug indicating charging. My app showed I had 47% charge and 194 miles. The vehicle did not. After going through two different types of resets with Rivian Customer Service, and did them a couple of times each over 2 days they called it. It had to be towed to Richmond (closest service center) for a few days. I thought they would go back to the original software but didn't. Apparently I was one of those that got missed when they discovered the update 2023.41 wasn't working. They put the 2023.42 in it and it wasn't working then either. I think they created a patch for the fix? So I had it for two weeks, in shop for a week, now have it back. Can I tell you how nervous I am about giving the "OK" for this next update?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah, about that update 2023.42. After 2yrs 9mths 26days I finally got my R1T November 9. I had it for not quite 2wks when it said I should update. Went from 2023.38 at purchase to update 2023.41. It caused my R1T to not show a screen when entering the vehicle, neither screen. Would only show screen behind the steering wheel when put in Drive or Reverse. Showed I had 0% charge and 0 miles. I could plug it in, the green would light around the plug indicating charging. My app showed I had 47% charge and 194 miles. The vehicle did not. After going through two different types of resets with Rivian Customer Service, and did them a couple of times each over 2 days they called it. It had to be towed to Richmond (closest service center) for a few days. I thought they would go back to the original software but didn't. Apparently I was one of those that got missed when they discovered the update 2023.41 wasn't working. They put the 2023.42 in it and it wasn't working then either. I think they created a patch for the fix? So I had it for two weeks, in shop for a week, now have it back. Can I tell you how nervous I am about giving the "OK" for this next update?
I certainly don’t blame you for being nervous about it. That is not the start with your new truck that you expected. All I can say is that nothing like that had happened in any previous updates, and I believe Rivian learned their lesson from it. Not that an update couldn’t have issues again, but I would be shocked and disappointed if they repeated that same mistake again.

That being said, I have always been someone who waits at least a couple days after it shows me it’s available. I also always make sure I’m either at home or work when I update, where it is secure even if something did go wrong. It’s not like a portable device that can be stuffed in my bag and fixed later.

I hope that was the only issue you ever have with it!🤞🏼

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Lots of people have got the latest 2023.50.0 and I am still on 2023.46.3 which is fine. It will get pushed when it gets pushed out.
Defcon, thank you. This is such a great forum. I really appreciate the generosity of wisdom and knowledge people demonstrate.
Sponsored