Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Crazy my build with tent and kitchen and everything is now $110,650. Sad part is I still think its worth that I just wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Rivian will need to come out with cheaper models. Tesla's top selling car is Model Y, its gone from 60k to 70k. Kia, Ford, Chevy are coming as well.

Having said that you can still build out a R1T for $73k and R1S for $78k........

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian will need to come out with cheaper models. Tesla's top selling car is Model Y, its gone from 60k to 70k. Kia, Ford, Chevy are coming as well.

Having said that you can still build out a R1T for $73k and R1S for $78k........
Eh, Model Y is in the $70s for a config you can actually get delivered. And it’s considerably less vehicle than an R1T. Fine as a commuter, but the extra capability in the R1T does have a cost.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Thanks for the update - nice to see early adopters gaining equity!
I think most people would be happy with 'just' 600 hp in the dual motor variants.
$8k still seems cheap to get 2x extra motors and another 235 hp.

Sponsored

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
As a 5 time Tesla owner and with a Rivian Preorder and owner of Rivian stock, I hope that Rivian will be able to lower prices in the future as the market gets more options and the battery and production capacity increases. Tesla has in the short term, increased their prices multiple times this year, but in the past, they incrementally dropped prices not only for their cars but for parts as well. I would not imagine Rivian to be in a position to do that in any short order with having to pay for the production ramp as well as opening the second factory, but hopefully in the future.

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

just noticed that the quad motor is now $8000. was $6000 since the post 3/1 price hike.

1663646567505.png

my configured R1S which is currently $82,000 (pre 3/1 price hike) is now $103,000 for the exact same config. yikes!
All of us pre 3/1 price hike are getting a steal of a deal.
Well, we can't afford that--so may have to wait until Hell freezes over for a Rivian.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I keep going back and forth between "this is the coolest vehicle ever" and "this is the dumbest financial decision I could possibly make".

My order is post-price hike, so who knows what it will cost when I can actually take delivery. But between the various price hikes and delays, the likelihood I'll actually take delivery seems to be going down.

I'd be fine with a dual-motor setup, but I doubt they will actually be truly available to customers before 2025 based on Rivian's track record on deadlines. And if I'm waiting until 2025, there will be plenty of other competing trucks/SUV's on the market with different value propositions. They may not be as cool as a Rivian, but they also likely won't be $100k+/- either. And they'll likely be significantly cheaper to insure/maintain if the anecdotal repair costs on this forum remain true.

And with the stock market the way it is, I seem some small cap REIT's yielding north of 5%. I could use that $100k to build myself a $5k-$7k income stream in perpetuity.

But I'm sure I'll circle back and REALLY REALLY want the Rivian by this time next week.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yes this stuff is coming online but it'll take years until the standard charger someone just rolls up to is capable. In the time Rivian could certainly make the call on 800v and pass 100% of the costs onto the consumer and still have more demand than supply. I just think they're going to use that same strategy but prioritizing other things over 800v but I'm not an insider, could easily be proven wrong.
I suspect the max pack could see higher charge rates at 800 volts although I think the large pack is close to limited out.

In either case what 800 volts does do is so much of the charging problems around the country right now are due to s***** chargers overheating. Raising the voltage will at least allow them to deliver their promised rate more effectively. It's about the network we have

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
As a 5 time Tesla owner and with a Rivian Preorder and owner of Rivian stock, I hope that Rivian will be able to lower prices in the future as the market gets more options and the battery and production capacity increases. Tesla has in the short term, increased their prices multiple times this year, but in the past, they incrementally dropped prices not only for their cars but for parts as well. I would not imagine Rivian to be in a position to do that in any short order with having to pay for the production ramp as well as opening the second factory, but hopefully in the future.
In this inflation I don't see him getting lowered but they should be releasing a new model that is more cost effective

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I'd be surprised if Rivian does 800v within 2 years. It'd be nice sure but there's huge patches of the country which don't have acess to an infrastructure that could take advantage of it. The "new" F150 Lightning platform isn't even confirmed 800v yet and that's several years away. To me it seems like Rivian is using the new reservation system, which wisely doesn't have a price lock-in, to increase profitability on a vehicle they are clearly selling at a loss for however many pre-price hike hold outs are left. Now's the time to do it, there's not much competition and Tesla is killing it with $15k all profit software upgrades. Not that I want to wish it into the universe but I'm surprised they haven't rolled out their subscription services.
All new DCFC are 800v compatible AFAIK. EA is even started replacing chargers.

The Lightning isn't positioned a performance vehicle.

But I do agree that making the change with new quad motors makes sense. Even though 800V adds little on the motor side.

The Cybertruck will likely charge considerably better than the current R1 config.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I just wonder how many folks are lining up for a $100k pickup from a new company....will be interesting once Toyota drops an EV pickup, etc.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I just wonder how many folks are lining up for a $100k pickup from a new company....will be interesting once Toyota drops an EV pickup, etc.
Your point is good, but people said that about the Model S
Sponsored