First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
I’m assuming these new prices would end up being for the in house built motors with 800V architecture, but I could be wrong on my assumption.
I don't see 800volt architecture anytime soon. Look how long it is taking them to bring out their FIRST Max Pack R1Ts. Maybe when the Georgia plant is finished, which I think is late 2025.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Price increases work until they don't.
I'd increase prices too, everyone else is.

I have a feeling many buyers here are paying via stock market gains, so price increases aren't very painful, adding to the EV mania. Maybe next year at this time it will be a very different situation as the Fed slams on the brakes which is gonna cause much much pain.
As the stock market gets beat silly (down again today) eventually many people will feel "poorer" and may re-think $100,000 for an EV.

And this is normal. Economys go through cycles. It will be interesting to see how sales are impacted as we limp into 2023 with high inflation, and some companies beginning layoffs.

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
As the stock market gets beat silly (down again today) eventually many people will feel "poorer" and may re-think $100,000 for an EV.

And this is normal. Economys go through cycles. It will be interesting to see how sales are impacted as we limp into 2023 with high inflation, and some companies beginning layoffs.
Yes
Generally that's what happens. This time though, bonds are getting crushed too. Housing is next.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Yes
Generally that's what happens. This time though, bonds are getting crushed too. Housing is next.
I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but yes, as interest rates go up, bonds go down. And housing will significantly cool off as mortgage rates push past 7%.

This happens. But 10 years from now, our mutual funds and portfolios will be doing well again. They always do. But the road could be bumpy as heck the next couple of years.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
It will be interesting to see how the economy, stock market and interest rates affect existing R1 reservations.

More than one buyer is going to rethink a $80k vehicle purchase right now. Rivian may be having reservations in regards to adding a 2nd shift.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

Yea this is definitely something I’ve been thinking. Add to the fact that Kia is bringing a 3 row suv with 800v architecture and so far based on their smaller electric EV6 will have good tech and nice materials likely well undercutting Rivian and Tesla bringing their truck possibly also undercutting rivian (though I get the appearance isn’t for everyone), they are going to have some really really heavy competition especially at current prices. Dual motor prices will be hopefully more market competitive after options.

Also not comparing Kia to Rivian as far as a luxury brand vs a more economy based brand. Just the fact that Kia and Hyundai’s electric vehicles have been getting some solid reviews and are seemingly slowly going all in for electric.

MuskOxFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X (selling), Porsche Taycan
Occupation
Tech
Why would they sell the CT at all if it's at a loss? How would that benefit the shareholders?

If they can't produce it at a cost that will turn a profit, why make it?
I have no clue if Cybertruck will ever be made or if it would be profitable, but I know there's no way Tesla will ever get my money again. My Model X has been a reliability nightmare. Countless problems with the drive unit, doors, electrical gremlins and axles. I can't wait to unload it for a better EV SUV.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It will be interesting to see how the economy, stock market and interest rates affect existing R1 reservations.

More than one buyer is going to rethink a $80k vehicle purchase right now...
Agreed! With crazy inflation and runaway food & energy costs, paychecks don't stretch as far as they did even a year ago.

If I hadn't squirreled away 75% of the purchase price (woulld have been 100% saved in advance if EV stocks hadn't tanked to the point of "must hold" stocks) of my R1T I would have to have a serious talk with myself about now about spending $80K on a EV pickup truck.

kevinR1Tx2R1Sx1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red/Black, R1T LG/FG
just noticed that the quad motor is now $8000. was $6000 since the post 3/1 price hike.

1663646567505.png

my configured R1S which is currently $82,000 (pre 3/1 price hike) is now $103,000 for the exact same config. yikes!
All of us pre 3/1 price hike are getting a steal of a deal.
I have over 6000 miles on my Rivian. Quad motors are nice to put Lamborghini drivers in their place. But other than that, I would recommend the dual motors as plenty. Still excellent acceleration, improved range, and smaller charging bills. I usually run in conserve mode (2 motors), and it is plenty of power. I am not sure what the towing capacity is of the dual motor, but I will share with everyone that I pulled a car carrier trailer over 800 miles a few weekends ago and I barely noticed the trailer. The weight of the Rivian keeps the vehicle very stable when towing. I am pretty sure I could have towed the trailer easily with two motors. But, if you have too much money and prefer not to leave it to charity or the kids, the quad motors smoke everything off the line. I would say the look on the Porsche and Corvette drivers’ faces are priceless, except I can’t really see them that far in the rear view mirror. Whatever you choose, you will be happy. When my wife’s R1S arrives, there will be a new sheriff in town. Until then, I will enjoy the increasingly distant sound of 5.0 mustangs. Go Syracuse Orange!!

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I have no clue if Cybertruck will ever be made or if it would be profitable, but I know there's no way Tesla will ever get my money again. My Model X has been a reliability nightmare. Countless problems with the drive unit, doors, electrical gremlins and axles. I can't wait to unload it for a better EV SUV.
Brother in law had a early X and it had similar issues. The doors were always broken. Elon did mention the X was their most complicated car. To be fair we’ve had lots of friends with model S’s and I have a model y performance. Those cars have had no major issues and we’ve all been pretty satisfied but the X I agree with you, it seems to be a problem nightmare.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Tesla is the bizarre reactions of people at both extremes
I think it’s typically Elon who generates the polarizing reactions and Tesla gets to share the credit or blame.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

More than one buyer is going to rethink a $80k vehicle purchase right now. Rivian may be having reservations in regards to adding a 2nd shift.
they have to have a second shift because factory utilization must increase from the c. 15% to at least 80% to have any chance of profitability. They have a capacity soon of 200K a year which means at least 160K EDV and R1 models by I would hope 2024 at Normal. Ramp up through 2023 to end at 10K a month R1 would be a good goal. But I agree reservation numbers (which were never 100% converted into actual purchases) will be hit if we go into a deeper recession and the stock market go below pre COVID highs.
Sponsored