First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Just a guess, but I think Elon will announce Cybertruck shipments start late next year (2023) with price tiers STARTING at $110,000 if you want shipment anywhere within the first 3 years Of production. Lower priced models will be several years away From actual delivery.
You might be right, but if they have over a million reservations on the CT which was originally priced between $39.9K - $69.9K expect 99% cancellation rate at $110K + pricing for the same truck.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
You might be right, but if they have over a million reservations on the CT which was originally priced between $39.9K - $69.9K expect 99% cancellation rate at $110K + pricing for the same truck.
Tesla is extremely rational with pricing and production. The Cybertruck will be configured and priced where they believe it will sell out. A lot of Rivian owners seem to be expecting/hoping the Tesla will stumble with this vehicle. They won't.

I expect the Cybertruck to be impressive technically and a big hit. Still ugly, but very successful.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
I plan on taking delivery of a cyber truck when ever that happens. (Rivian has conditioned me to ignore the rotation of the earth so time has stopped several years ago. )
Tesla will make money on every truck they sell ugly or not. Rivian will be lucky to be break even next year. Invest wisely.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Rivian leadership must be thankful that the Cybertruck is still not in production and keeps getting delayed.
I dunno. I'm not sure anything sold more Rivians than the Cybertruck and Hummer being the only alternative 😅

I can totally see normal people cross-shopping the Lightning and Rivian, and that's the competition Rivian should be thinking about (as well as Jeeps, Tacomas, etc. - both ICE and future EV variants). The Cybertruck and Hummer are on a different planet for the majority of buyers, outside of a small echelon of over-funded EV enthusiasts (which is well represented on this forum :)).

hugebob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
I guess all my griping about the dropped Explorer option and, therefore, making Quad unaffordable, was for naught. This price hike, at any rate, solidifies Quad's unaffordability. Dual it is! That is, until there's a price hike that pushes my desired R1S build north of $90K-ish. Then, I'll be buying a Tesla Model Y and calling it a day.

Reactions: Rad

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I plan on taking delivery of a cyber truck when ever that happens. (Rivian has conditioned me to ignore the rotation of the earth so time has stopped several years ago. )
Tesla will make money on every truck they sell ugly or not. Rivian will be lucky to be break even next year. Invest wisely.
Even Rivian doesn't expect to break even next year. It will be much longer than that. 3-5 years. Didn't it take Tesla like 8-9 to break even, and only selling Bitcoin holdings and carbon offsets did they barely make a profit.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Getting back to Quad Motors, this is one way for Rivian to discourage new orders with supplier-based motor and bring in more house-developed motors with better margins.

It also speaks to supplier cost inflation. Bosch motors must be getting expensive...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Getting back to Quad Motors, this is one way for Rivian to discourage new orders with supplier-based motor and bring in more house-developed motors with better margins.

It also speaks to supplier cost inflation. Bosch motors must be getting expensive...
Bosch is still considered a "premium brand".. I'm sure those 4X motors are super $$$$. No doubt Rivian is very keen on moving to in house produced motors at a substantial savings.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

just noticed that the quad motor is now $8000. was $6000 since the post 3/1 price hike.

1663646567505.png

my configured R1S which is currently $82,000 (pre 3/1 price hike) is now $103,000 for the exact same config. yikes!
All of us pre 3/1 price hike are getting a steal of a deal.
Price of the truck went up $2000. Price of dual motors went down $2000.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

This happened back when they canceled Explore trim.

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
To me it seems like Rivian is using the new reservation system, which wisely doesn't have a price lock-in, to increase profitability on a vehicle they are clearly selling at a loss for however many pre-price hike hold outs are left.
I'm surprised they have not tried to "buy out" quad motor reservation holders by offering the new "standard" 4x4/2 motor build at a discounted price. I would happily drop my quad motor for a dual motor if the price was right.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I'm surprised they have not tried to "buy out" quad motor reservation holders by offering the new "standard" 4x4/2 motor build at a discounted price. I would happily drop my quad motor for a dual motor if the price was right.
doubt many would want to wait that long. dual motor wont be available until 2024 at the earliest.