First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
New panel installed or your service upgraded?
Adding a subpanel to an existing service should be substantially less.

Location likely has a huge bearing on these costs. Maybe that cost is normal in your area? In Ohio where OP and I are, $4k is expensive even for upgrading your service from 150A to 200A.
NO not upgrading, just adding a subpanel. they are not even patching the drywall, using the plastic pvc junctions instead. I had a quote from another contractor for less, but not sure he was going to obtain the permits and such so that had me worried, garage is below my bed...lol.
Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
Another thing to consider is running aluminum wire and putting an 80, 100, or 125 amp sub panel in your garage. This helps in a couple ways.
1) the run from main panel to sub panel with aluminum wire (ex. 1/0 SER) should be much cheaper than copper (especially if you move up to higher amperage chargers that require higher gauge copper wire).
2) if you get a second EV and have a 125 amp sub panel you can easily install the second charger and could run both chargers at the same time. (Without having to run a full second run of copper)
3) for resale to non-EV owners someone could put a circuit in the subpanel for a welder, etc.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

NO not upgrading, just adding a subpanel. they are not even patching the drywall, using the plastic pvc junctions instead. I had a quote from another contractor for less, but not sure he was going to obtain the permits and such so that had me worried, garage is below my bed...lol.
Sorry my question was in regards to jjswans comment on $4k :)

But like I said earlier, that price is pretty crazy for OH, I'll try to find my bill for the subpanel added for my Solar setup.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
as with anything home maintenance related, get at least three quotes from sources and you'll get three prices and then know what to look at.

I paid someone $500 to install a charger by checking with local electricians. Didn't need a new panel though (32A), just new breaker/moving some things around on the box.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

New panel installed or your service upgraded?
Adding a subpanel to an existing service should be substantially less.

Where you are in the country likely has a huge bearing on these costs. Maybe that cost is normal in your area? In Ohio where OP and I are, $4k is expensive even for upgrading your service from 150A to 200A.
Oh yeah I can believe that. I do live in Portland Metro and know for a fact things are more expensive but I had gotten quotes up to $7000 for the same work. In any of the projects I have done in the last few years the bids I got varied significantly which was part of my point.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I am working with a local electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 plug for now. I am buying the Rivian charge adapter but I will install it myself later (replace the 14-50 plug). It will be a lot cheaper than using QMERIT.
If you want to use the full capabilities of the Rivian EVSE (48A), let the electrician know that you need the wiring to support 60A (6 gauge Romex is only good for 55A). If you run on a 50A circuit, you can set the EVSE to 40A and likely won't notice the difference when charging overnight.
I'm assuming you meant receptacle/outlet (NEMA 14-50R) and not "plug" (NEMA 14-50P)?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
If you want to use the full capabilities of the Rivian EVSE (48A), let the electrician know that you need the wiring to support 60A (6 gauge Romex is only good for 55A). If you run on a 50A circuit, you can set the EVSE to 40A and likely won't notice the difference when charging overnight.
I'm assuming you meant receptacle/outlet (NEMA 14-50R) and not "plug" (NEMA 14-50P)?
For various reasons this is a non-starter for me. There is some partial wiring from a former 240V hot tub that are going to be adapted for the run to the garage. Replacing all of that with 60A rated wiring would require a pull through a finished basement that I don’t want to deal with. So, for me I am content with the existing 50A circuit.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For various reasons this is a non-starter for me. There is some partial wiring from a former 240V hot tub that are going to be adapted for the run to the garage. Replacing all of that with 60A rated wiring would require a pull through a finished basement that I don’t want to deal with. So, for me I am content with the existing 50A circuit.
I'm in the ~same boat. I had 25ft of left over Romex 6/3 after I wired my hot tub. I had to file permits for that installation and a new transfer switch I had installed so I added a Nema 14-50 outlet at the same time. I'll try things out with 32A charging, if needed I could spend the money to upgrade and get the 40A from the Rivian charger (or other 3rd party option), 25% faster charging speed is notable but would rather see if they come out with the V2H charger.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Make sure the electrician leaves some extra 6/3 in a loop when installing the 14-50R. You'll most likely need some to feed into the Rivian Wallbox. Probably want to consider the wire/outlet location as well.
Rivian R1T R1S Qmerit 12% fee??? 1634770600697

If it were me, I'd skip the 14-50 install completely and just have them pull the wire for the EVSE. The added expense of the box for the outlet and then having to decommission/cover/hide it later make it more of an inconvenience than any future benefit would justify. You can then go to 6/2 since the neutral will be unused anyway (you could do that with a 6-50 as well if you really wanted an outlet).
You could run wire in conduit from the outlet box to the EVSE at install time, but that adds complexity, expense and additional potential failure points where the wires are joined.

OP
OP
Blur1t

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Make sure the electrician leaves some extra 6/3 in a loop when installing the 14-50R. You'll most likely need some to feed into the Rivian Wallbox. Probably want to consider the wire/outlet location as well.
1634770600697.png

If it were me, I'd skip the 14-50 install completely and just have them pull the wire for the EVSE. The added expense of the box for the outlet and then having to decommission/cover/hide it later make it more of an inconvenience than any future benefit would justify. You can then go to 6/2 since the neutral will be unused anyway (you could do that with a 6-50 as well if you really wanted an outlet).
You could run wire in conduit from the outlet box to the EVSE at install time, but that adds complexity, expense and additional potential failure points where the wires are joined.
Great advice! Thanks ?

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@DucRider - my wife is taking delivery of a Volvo XC40 Recharge soon (Depending on inventory maybe this weekend). So we will use a plug-in NEMA 14-15 power point until the Rivian one is installed (which we will then use for both cars) and the plug-in one will be for travel. Thanks for the advice but I have my situation well under control. ?

OP
OP
Blur1t

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
@DucRider - my wife is taking delivery of a Volvo XC40 Recharge soon (Depending on inventory maybe this weekend). So we will use a plug-in NEMA 14-15 power point until the Rivian one is installed (which we will then use for both cars) and the plug-in one will be for travel. Thanks for the advice but I have my situation well under control. ?
That xc40 is what I plan to get the wife when the ice cross trek dies! Let me know how you like it they are beautiful!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Hmmm.
5-15? or 14-50?
That xc40 is what I plan to get the wife when the ice cross trek dies! Let me know how you like it they are beautiful!
I actually prefer the Polestar 2 variant, but I don't need the rear head room and prefer the styling. Polestar also qualifies for the Oregon Rebate, and the Volvo does not.

They are starting to set up Volvo dealers for service, and franchised dealerships in some markets.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Good catch, @DucRider - 14-50. Typo from my phone :)

My wife looked at the Polestar2 and really didn't want the sedan. She wants the larger rear cargo area for our dog. You're right that they really are two sides of the same coin.

OP
OP
Blur1t

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Hmmm.
5-15? or 14-50?

I actually prefer the Polestar 2 variant, but I don't need the rear head room and prefer the styling. Polestar also qualifies for the Oregon Rebate, and the Volvo does not.

They are starting to set up Volvo dealers for service, and franchised dealerships in some markets.
Polestars just do not seem that eye catching, maybe for the wrong reasons (CT) honestly they look like the new accord or a Camry, Ive worked on far too many of those to ever want one in my driveway… lol ? but love the range and performance of the Polestar, if that were everything I think we would all have CT’s and not R1T’s ha ha?
Sponsored