Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You're asking a lot!!!

EA has been 100% completely clueless from day 1 and continue to be that way to this day no matter what the EA Fanbois here insist. Somehow they will claim it's Rivian's fault... :crying:
Just because someone hasn't ever had a problem with EA doesn't make them a fanboy. To be clear the only time I have ever had a problem charging it was the Rivian's fault.

But I'm just a fanboy so I guess your opinion is more valid, you know because you said so in an inflammatory way.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Just because someone hasn't ever had a problem with EA doesn't make them a fanboy.
I agree with that statement.

A "fanboi/Fanboy" is someone who classifies the whole North American EA network as "it's fine" because they have not had issues in their particular area or areas they've traveled where we see post after post after post about failed EA chargers across all 50 states pretty much every day on virtually every EV forum and YT, and social media sites. It also doesn't help when EA defenders state "it doesn't count as an EA failure if you didn't actually get physically stranded at an EA site" because you limped off to some other charger somewhere else on reserve. That's like saying getting shot doesn't count unless you died from it....

You can't compel a company to be competent, and that's the crux of the matter with EA... they were created as part of a legal settlement not from the desire of someone /some group who wanted to create something great. Are they providing EV charging as per the settlement.. yes, is the service good? no. Look at it like school lunches.. is the school providing "a lunch" yes, is it a good lunch.. no.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree with that statement.

A "fanboi/Fanboy" is someone who classifies the whole North American EA network as "it's fine" because they have not had issues in their particular area or areas they've traveled where we see post after post after post about failed EA chargers across all 50 states pretty much every day on virtually every EV forum and YT, and social media sites. It also doesn't help when EA defenders state "it doesn't count as an EA failure if you didn't actually get physically stranded at an EA site" because you limped off to some other charger somewhere else on reserve. That's like saying getting shot doesn't count unless you died from it....

You can't compel a company to be competent, and that's the crux of the matter with EA... they were created as part of a legal settlement not from the desire of someone /some group who wanted to create something great. Are they providing EV charging as per the settlement.. yes, is the service good? no. Look at it like school lunches.. is the school providing "a lunch" yes, is it a good lunch.. no.
I am just sick of hearing bitching and whining about EA just because a couple chargers were down and they had to wait for someone to finish, without EA I wouldn't have 22k 24k miles on my Rivian. Yes there have been legitimate issues with EA but also a lot of reports involved user error or vehicle errors. I guarantee you there are 1000s of successful charges relative to people who needed to be towed because they couldn't charge at EA's fault.

Maybe just maybe you should be grateful for what you have because without that settlement and EA's rapid buildout of thousands of chargers we would be in a much different place.

Edit: Corrected mileage, because it matters.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe just maybe you should be grateful for what you have because without that settlement and EA's rapid buildout of thousands of chargers we would be in a much different place.
Ugh, such an insufferable fanboy. You would have been much better off with a Tesla so you could go fanboy over there instead over how superior Tesla's charging network is like all the other Tesla Fanboys that rag on EA here even though they have very little actual experience with them.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I am just sick of hearing bitching and whining about EA just because a couple chargers were down..
Understatement of the year winner... Congrats!!! :clap:

Maybe just maybe you should be grateful for what you have because without that settlement and EA's rapid build-out of thousands of chargers we would be in a much different place.
Yeah, a better place where you can roll up to a charger and have it actually charge your vehicle without drama, or phone calls or having to trying 5 out of the 6 chargers at a site before finding an operational one or having to do a hard reboot of your vehicle to initiate a charge.

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I am just sick of hearing bitching and whining about EA just because a couple chargers were down and they had to wait for someone to finish, without EA I wouldn't have 22k miles on my Rivian. Yes there have been legitimate issues with EA but also a lot of reports involved user error or vehicle errors. I guarantee you there are 1000s of successful charges relative to people who needed to be towed because they couldn't charge at EA's fault.

The problem is the settlement should have never have been to force a charging network.

The Ccs network is barely hanging on, it's so bad that government had to inject billions. There is just no money to be made with the Ccs charging network.

What should happen is the manufacturers should have their own proprietary charging network. The risk and charging experience is connected with the maker.

The Ccs network today just isn't working and this isn't going to get resolved anytime soon.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Having access to Teslas Superchargers can't come fast enough since everything else is junk and unreliable. Our R1T probably won't see long road trips until these issues are ironed out.
I'm no oracle, but I suspect you may be waiting for a while. My guess is that Tesla isn't going to be converting existing Superchargers to have CCS access. They will instead be building new Superchargers with CCS and Tesla connectors on them when and if they receive government subsidies to do so. The IRA has promised subsidies for this, but until it is doled out, I doubt Tesla will support CCS.

This is just my guess though.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Out of Spec Motoring has talked a lot about this issue with EA. As a matter of fact, he was on a road trip and encountered this issue a few times. Short story, Rivian engineers were able to review logs from the truck that verifies that its an EA issue. I'm not sure what software changes you'd make with the Rivian since its doing exactly whats its suppose to do when an anomaly happens from a charger.
Short story long... EA f'd up again... hopefully they can address this issue quickly via SW update? Their biggest issue is no one seems to care about anything negative that happens at EA. It's like their all just working their shifts/collecting their paychecks till the whole thing eventually implodes.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
I'm no oracle, but I suspect you may be waiting for a while. My guess is that Tesla isn't going to be converting existing Superchargers to have CCS access. They will instead be building new Superchargers with CCS and Tesla connectors on them when and if they receive government subsidies to do so. The IRA has promised subsidies for this, but until it is doled out, I doubt Tesla will support CCS.

This is just my guess though.
I'm afraid you're correct.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm not a professional electrician, just the son of a bankrupt one. Is it possible these errors are only on the 350kW chargers trying to send too much amps or volts to the truck right off the bat? Has anyone had these problems with 50kW or 150kW chargers?

Oh and <insert side-taking hater comments here>

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
One note... the "soft reset (left far most and hazard buttons)" doesn't always work. I had an incident that my LTE network was gone and the car didn't know where it was. I worked with the phone supports and the "soft reset" couldn't be executed. I was fat up with the phone support and drove to Phoenix Rivian Service Center. They had to do a "hard reset" which was disconnecting the power totally. And that fixed the problem but they had to recalibrate the car after the "hard reset".

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I printed the entire 40 page “towing guide”. I keep it in a folder under the rear seat. This section has a lot of great information for when owners are SOL.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I'm not a professional electrician, just the son of a bankrupt one. Is it possible these errors are only on the 350kW chargers trying to send too much amps or volts to the truck right off the bat? Has anyone had these problems with 50kW or 150kW chargers?

Oh and <insert side-taking hater comments here>
Yes, it is possible. I have heard that it happens when charging above 200 kW. Which would normally only happen when you at a low state of charge connected to a 250 kW station. This makes sense because the underlying issue would most likely be some kind of thermal limit.

RTChiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Clubs

So the past suppose to be 12 hour road trip (budgeted roughly 2 hours for charging in there) from Cincinnati to NYC today ended up being a 19 hour trip.

The biggest thing I wish I had known before I left was how to do the reset on the Rivian. I heard all about it on these forums but never investigated how to do it. The reason being is because I hopped around to three different EA charging locations and my R1S would not connect to them. Cars before me and cars after me all connected fine. An R1T connected fine and I couldn't - That's when I made a call to rivian customer service.

Service tech told me that I basically tripped the security feature on the rivian on one of the bad EA chargers and it wasn't going to let me plug anything else in. He told me how to do a reset (far left steering wheel button + hazard lights at same time and hold). And wahla I could charge again.

At this point I had 1 mile on my R1S and this guy became my hero. He said he really wished Rivian would push out this info because he knew exactly the issue before I even explained anything more. It's like he has had this call 1000 times.

Hope this saves another pour soul some hours at an L2 charger because they couldn't get their R1 to connect.
I am glad you posted this - I meant to do this after my thanksgiving trip to Sedona from SoCal but got busy with life... I went to 2 different EA with very low charge and kids in the car in unfamiliar territory - changed multiple chargers, spoke with EA 2x - overall about one hour on phone with them trying resetting two of the chargers - eventually I realized it was my car and not the chargers after someone was successful on a charger I had failed on - called Rivian - sorted in minutes! I only charge with EA because generally I find them the best out there but this was a Baaad hiccup :) Early days I guess - I love my R1T no matter what :)
Sponsored