Sponsored

Proximity and PAAK - Why can’t it work consistently?

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
Is the tech behind PAAK unique to Rivian somehow? I ask because
PAAK does not work consistently for me and it’s really frustrating. Love my R1S but feel like a bum standing by the door of my $80,000+ car and watching someone get into their Ford Fiesta with no issue! :)
  • It takes a solid 5+ seconds standing next to my driver door for it to work
  • Sometimes I have to take my phone out of my jeans pocket and wave it around close to car to get it to work
  • My pockets have nothing else in them and happens with all sorts of pants - so shouldn’t be interference
  • Tesla and many other companies have PAAK, so this shouldn’t be some unique tech issue
  • I don’t want to carry a physical key. Drove a Tesla for a decade and rarely had any issues with PAAK
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It seems like the vehicles might be going into a deeper sleep after some time that they didn't used to. My phone key is quick to respond when I am just making a quick stop at home depot, etc, but much slower in the morning and after I go to leave work.

PBRAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali, Range Rover
PAAK is more reliable than the FAAK, sadly. "Faak" is also what I yell at the car when the fob won't work, which is most of the time. Guy at service center says my phone could actually be causing interference with the fob. Sigh...

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
I am a minority it seems. I haven’t had any issues with PAAK. I’ve even ditched having the key or key card with me as a backup.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I’m surprised you had no issues with Tesla’s implementation. When we had a Model 3, it wasn’t unusual to pull the handle and find it unresponsive for a few seconds, or require that we pull a phone out and wake the screen for it to work.

Overall, my PaaK experience with my R1T has been pretty positive. There are occasions where I need to wake the screen, but that’s maybe once a week or less.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So far mine has worked most every time as I walk up to the truck, but it has done what you described 2 times. I find it works better if my phone is in my front pocket. If it’s in my back pocket I notice I need to get closer before it recognizes. One of the times it didn’t respond at all I opened the Rivian app on my phone and it suddenly unlocked.

Overall I think it works pretty great.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Before a bike ride, I have to be at least 20 meters away from the truck before it locks.

After a bike ride, I must put my phone within 25 cm of the door to unlock the truck (phone in back jersey pocket inside a small bag to keep my phone from dialing emergency contacts during a ride.) Then I rush to drop the tailgate and unlock the right gear tunnel before the truck locks and unlocks randomly.

Keeps me 'on my toes' which is kind of dangerous while wearing cycling shoes for clipless pedals.

johnmcgrann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Is the tech behind PAAK unique to Rivian somehow? I ask because
PAAK does not work consistently for me and it’s really frustrating. Love my R1S but feel like a bum standing by the door of my $80,000+ car and watching someone get into their Ford Fiesta with no issue! :)
  • It takes a solid 5+ seconds standing next to my driver door for it to work
  • Sometimes I have to take my phone out of my jeans pocket and wave it around close to car to get it to work
  • My pockets have nothing else in them and happens with all sorts of pants - so shouldn’t be interference
  • Tesla and many other companies have PAAK, so this shouldn’t be some unique tech issue
  • I don’t want to carry a physical key. Drove a Tesla for a decade and rarely had any issues with PAAK
I have nearly the exact same experience during my year of owning my R1T, and as recently as 30 minutes ago when I left home to come to work. In fact, this morning I promised myself that I'd start a service ticket or at least call support to learn more about this.

I do think the reply about "deep sleep" makes sense. I have other minor frustrations that seem like they might relate to this, especially being unable to remotely start climate control because the app can't wake the vehicle.

BeachRiv

First Name
BW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Echo annoyance.
100% of the time I need to walk up to car, then open app, then wait a bit… and finally it unlocks.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
My experience is better than yours but could still use improvement.

works really well if I approach my Rivian with phone and app open, also true if just phone open. Now if the phone isn’t open then it is less successful especially if the Rivian is sleeping. I have been Next to my Rivian and nothinghappens so I dig my phone out of my pocket and once I unlock the phone , BAM, the doors open :( Better than not opening but annoying as it isn’t hands free

Sponsored

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Is there any corrolation to make/model of phone or Android vs iOS?

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
The inconsistency is the worst part for me. I could adapt if it always performed the same way. About 80% of the time mine works as advertised - I approach my R1 and the doors unlock, the other 20% I have to take my phone out of my pocket to wake the truck up. Hopeful that this will improve, like so many other features have.

DRIVIAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2020 BMW X3 Xdrive30e
Occupation
Business Strategy Consulting
Clubs

This is my experience for the last month, but for the 6 months prior it worked much better. I'm not sure if they've done something in their battle against phantom drain that is making PAAK less responsive.

Karltrep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, ‘20 Tesla MY, ‘67 Porsche 912
Occupation
Car enthusiast
This is my experience for the last month, but for the 6 months prior it worked much better. I'm not sure if they've done something in their battle against phantom drain that is making PAAK less responsive.
Same here, it used to be extra responsive for me but since 2023.30 update it is pretty much useless and have reverted to using the FOB.
Have also had 3 bad experiences since update that I shared in the other thread: door handles closed on my fingers twice and truck locked with my phone inside.
Sponsored