LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Sharing these to solicit any observations or concerns noticed, and to give those still waiting on theirs a chance to look at some things up-close. My R1T still doesn't fully belong to me. It sits at the San Diego service center awaiting the final "Pre-Delivery Inspection" or PDI. I know it still needs PDI because I spoke with the location delivery manager and setup my own delivery appt for this Saturday (yeah! ahead of Memorial Day holiday).

There are several things that I noticed. Some were a bit more concerning than others. Like so many it seems this truck definitely left the plant in a "good enough" condition to push issue resolution down to the local center. For instance, those yellow arrows on the driver's side lower sill nearby the Gear tunnel door must have been marked at the factory. I assume that's to bring attention to the techs during PDI fixing. The dark plastic panel clearly doesn't align - sitting lower - than the rest of the lower trim piece. The gap to the painted body panel looks to be well over 0.25" but its hard to tell with the undercut.

The front bumper "piano black" section showed evidence of gross wear/abrasion from how it was strapped during transport. I expect to make a big stink about it and demand it gets replaced. I seriously doubt those dull marks will just buff-out. Several panel gaps got my attention but I won't elaborate and let others share observations if they wish. There were a few spots where the paint or clearcoat had bubbles right along panel edges and corners. There were a few spots with very noticeable swirls and shallow marks in the clearcoat. Again, I will reserve judgement until they get to do the PDI and whatever buffing and detailing (if any).

The underbody photos are simply to share for those curious what it looks like WITHOUT the Off-road Shield. I believe the openings near the front suspension bits are more pronounced from recalling early underbody pics.

Goes without saying that I am super excited for this Saturday to roll around and finally be handed my own key fob carabiner! :)

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE0

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE1.5

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE1

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE2.5

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE2

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE3

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE4

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE5.5

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE5.6

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE5.7

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE5

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE6

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE7

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE8

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE9.5

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE9

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE10

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE11

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE12

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE13

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE14

Rivian R1T R1S Pre-Delivery (pre-PDI) photos at service center - things to watch out for (+ look at underbody WITHOUT the Off-road Shield) PRE15
Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Thanks for sharing! Pretty sad to see all the issues people are having lately. I hope they can address all prior to your delivery.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
That front piano black is a no go for me, either R&R, or next VIN.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

That front piano black is a no go for me, either R&R, or next VIN.
Oh they'll either find a way to polish it back to a full shine or it will be a R&R deal. :movember:
I will still drive it off the lot with the written agreement for it to be properly fixed.

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

What VIN number are you? Mine is in the mid 4000's and wondering if the issues center around a certain batch of these coming down the line. I take delivery of mine at home June 8th and hoping clearly that it doesn't have to go back into service center anytime soon as that's 4 1/2 hours away in Atlanta.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wow, I could have only DREAMED mine arrived in that good of shape, to be quite honest. I think that anything they do to tweak it will cause scratches, chips, like a few others have seen on theirs, just from trying to fix these during PDI. I can see your issue with that piano black bumper piece, but the two I've seen (mine and loaner) all had issues with that...so...not sure what they would do there.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

What VIN number are you? Mine is in the mid 4000's and wondering if the issues center around a certain batch of these coming down the line. I take delivery of mine at home June 8th and hoping clearly that it doesn't have to go back into service center anytime soon as that's 4 1/2 hours away in Atlanta.
VIN# 5590, so I think a pretty "fresh" build.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
VIN# 5590, so I think a pretty "fresh" build.
Mine is 1776 and built end of February/22, yours is very fresh. Highest SN I've seen.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine is 4413, haven't seen it yet...#nervous.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
8-steps opened for me this morning with vin 4523. Tells me they've got a few thousand somewhere between factory and SCs waiting for delivery. I'd expect that means delivery pace is going to ramp up again during June.

Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
8-steps opened for me this morning with vin 4523. Tells me they've got a few thousand somewhere between factory and SCs waiting for delivery. I'd expect that means delivery pace is going to ramp up again during June.
I had 34xx delivered just one week ago.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
LOL I remember being lambasted online when us Tesla owners suggested bringing a checklist to the delivery center/showroom.

Meet the new boss ... ;)