Sponsored

Porsche Whistleblower: “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires”

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Serious journalism from a super credible site named Teslarati. That should tell you all need to know right there. An entire "article" based on one "whistleblower?" What happened to the days when a credible journalist had multiple sources???? While the Taycan has had teething challenges, I highly doubt that 60% of the vehicles sold had battery issues. Porsche/VW are not the most trustworthy corporate entities, but I doubt they would open themselves up to that kind of liability, again.

It will be interesting to see if the German automotive press pick up this story, then it would have legs and might actually have a kernel of truth. For right now, that article is basically fiction.

My first Taycan had some challenges, and was in the shop for 6 weeks. But, Porsche North America got the right parts fixed, and provided me with satisfactory compensation to cover my inconvenience. My second Taycan just passed 10,000 trouble free miles.
But what if Rivian has the same issues. I mean, we are all just accepting this new truck will work as designed. It’s the batteries.
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
But what if Rivian has the same issues. I mean, we are all just accepting this new truck will work as designed. It’s the batteries.
Because it's literally impossible for them to have the same issues, because it isn't 800v. Doesn't mean it won't have other issues, but they won't be this. It will be any number of other issues, and everyone buying one should be prepared for and willing to accept the possibility of them.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

@manitou202 not disagreeing with you.
Although Porsche did lie about emissions on the 997.2 and yesit’s not a safety issue (VAG company wide policy??).

I’m on a couple forums and there’s lots of disinformation going around. It seems to be a thing these days.

I’d be surprised if documents appear to support this claim.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Because it's literally impossible for them to have the same issues, because it isn't 800v. Doesn't mean it won't have other issues, but they won't be this. It will be any number of other issues, and everyone buying one should be prepared for and willing to accept the possibility of them.
Let’s see. GM batteries on fire. Porsche - same. Heck even some Teslas have been on fire.
‘’so yes… Rivian is only a few mistakes away from disaster. They better get it right.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Let’s see. GM batteries on fire. Porsche - same. Heck even some Teslas have been on fire.
‘’so yes… Rivian is only a few mistakes away from disaster. They better get it right.
Not that the public is rational, but you're still more likely to have an engine fire than a battery fire. It's silly to hold EV's to a perfection standard when the alternative is far from it. They just need to be better than a gas option, which is a low bar in that realm. I'd rather live through a battery fire than the death by thousand cuts of owning an ICE vehicle.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Not that the public is rational, but you're still more likely to have an engine fire than a battery fire. It's silly to hold EV's to a perfection standard when the alternative is far from it. They just need to be better than a gas option, which is a low bar in that realm. I'd rather live through a battery fire than the death by thousand cuts of owning an ICE vehicle.
We can’t have ANY battery fires. It will stop the EV option.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
^This. Plus Rivian had a “small”battery fire a month or so ago in the factory.

Further, ICE vehicles are likely most flammable in operation while EV’s batteries are potentially most vulnerable in charging. We will also likely be charging them inside our attached garages overnight.

YMMV, but we’re all vested in charging and battery tech advancement and safety throughout this nascent industry.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
That's total nonsense. Tesla and Rivian and Lucid should just shut it all down right now then.
Come on now.

a very small portion of car buyers purchase EV’s right now. As we head to a larger percentage of adopters leaving ICE all together, as a whole we need some solid strong electric vehicles makers to join Tesla with out any or as little bad press from battery fires as possible.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Come on now.

a very small portion of car buyers purchase EV’s right now. As we head to a larger percentage of adopters leaving ICE all together, as a whole we need some solid strong electric vehicles makers to join Tesla with out any or as little bad press from battery fires as possible.
And now that I think of it, let’s not pretend that Rivian, Lucid, and for that matter, Ford, GM, Ram have been successful in producing EV’s. We are in the early state of change. Anything can still go wrong.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Come on now.

Their point was your statement was absurd. Zero is not realistic by any means unless they stop producing now.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Their point was your statement was absurd. Zero is not realistic by any means unless they stop producing now.
ok course is not absurd. The goal should be zero battery fires. 100%, probably can’t achieve that, but that’s should be the goal.
stop being so rude.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
ok course is not absurd. The goal should be zero battery fires. 100%, probably can’t achieve that, but that’s should be the goal.
stop being so rude.
You didn't say goal. Obviously you want as few as possible. But saying we can't have ANY is an unrealistic expectation. airplanes are extremely safe, but they do still have failures once in awhile. At some point you just can't really get to zero.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

You didn't say goal. Obviously you want as few as possible. But saying we can't have ANY is an unrealistic expectation. airplanes are extremely safe, but they do still have failures once in awhile. At some point you just can't really get to zero.
Only way to ensure zero failures is to have zero attempts.