Sponsored

Porsche Whistleblower: “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires”

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Only way to ensure zero failures is to have zero attempts.
Right. Buildings are design with a non-zero probability of failure as well intentionally.

ok course is not absurd. The goal should be zero battery fires. 100%, probably can’t achieve that, but that’s should be the goal.
stop being so rude.
And I apologize that it came off as rude. That wasn't the intent. Setting an expectation of zero is statistically unrealistic no matter how much we want it. My statement was not intended to come across as "Tess is absurd." I could have chosen a less blunt description of expectation zero.
Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
This thread has got me thinking, has anyone ever installed a Heat Detector in their garage? (NOT a smoke detector as these are not compatible with other ICE fumes/dust in a garage--false alarms). I was checking out the Heat Detector options (battery or hardwired) on Amazon, and I just may put one in.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yea…..ok.
He's not wrong. There's some degree of uncertainty to basically everything. When we say we're designing a building or piece of infrastructure for an earthquake for example, that has a probability of failure still. For generally buildings that's about 2% in 50 years. Even statically there's a probability of failure for buildings, it's just really low. The same goes for planes. And USPS delivering your mail to you successfully (they're REALLY REALLY good, but I've still had stuff lost or damaged).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This thread has got me thinking, has anyone ever installed a Heat Detector in their garage? (NOT a smoke detector as these are not compatible with other ICE fumes/dust in a garage--false alarms). I was checking out the Heat Detector options (battery or hardwired) on Amazon, and I just may put one in.
Interesting idea! I wonder if a battery fire would kick of smoke before it hits an external heat that's alarming though.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Right. Buildings are design with a non-zero probability of failure as well intentionally.

And I apologize that it came off as rude. That wasn't the intent. Setting an expectation of zero is statistically unrealistic no matter how much we want it. My statement was not intended to come across as "Tess is absurd." I could have chosen a less blunt description of expectation zero.
Not at all rude. Just reminds me of a children's story I read a long time ago about a girl who wanted to be perfect.

The only way for her to be perfect was to do nothing at all.

Things are designed to be "good enough". Like building wind speed tolerance in hurricane prone areas. And flood leves designed for "100 year" floods etc.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Things are designed to be "good enough". Like building wind speed tolerance in hurricane prone areas. And flood leves designed for "100 year" floods etc.
Exactly. A day in the life of me. My other fun one to explain to clients is you can't have "zero" settlement unless they can find me a natural material with infinite stiffness to build on.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Quick question, Has anyone done a teardown of a Taycan or can identify what onboard charger model is being used and compare it with an E-tron?
If the Taycan uses an inferior one it is one data point that would lead to the whistelblower might have some validity.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Quick question, Has anyone done a teardown of a Taycan or can identify what onboard charger model is being used and compare it with an E-tron?
If the Taycan uses an inferior one it is one data point that would lead to the whistelblower might have some validity.

They have a completely different charging capacity and speed, so they use different components.

Also, can we let this thread die? An article by a Tesla shrill on Teslarati.com about a so called "whistleblower" at Porsche does not warrant 4 pages of responses. The "whisleblower" could have been someone on the custodial staff for all we know.

The German automotive press, which is far more reputable than some obscure site named Teslarati, has not picked up the story and moved the ball forward, so that should tell us something.

This topic is as much as a non-story as the Tesla recall announced today concerning Model Y's in China. It means nothing, and if there is an issue, the manufacturer will fix it.
Sponsored