Sponsored

Poll: How many service center visits did your R1 require in the first year of ownership?

In the first year of ownership, how many Service Center Visits has your Rivian needed?

• Total voters

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Asking for all prospective buyers, especially those of us who live hours from a service center.

Please only respond to the poll if you have had your Rivian for a year or more. Things that were (or could have been) addressed by Mobile Service do not count, only looking for the # of times it HAD to go to a service center.

If you've had it less than a year, please feel free to comment below with how long you've had it, how many service center visits (if any), and how long it was there for each one as that info will be helpful as well.
Thanks!
[edit: 3] times

1) Fix OTA updates failure, attempted HVAC fix (unsuccessful), attempted suspension fix (unsuccessful), halfshaft squeaks (partial progress), shattered front camera lens (_really_ unlucky rock strike)

2) HVAC fix (successful, they actually listened to me this time), suspension fix (successful, they actually listened to me this time), halfshaft squeaks (actually fixed this time)

3) Charge port door getting stuck, some minor stuff
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
4 times:

1) Upper control arm recall

2) Fix OTA updates failure, attempted HVAC fix (unsuccessful), attempted suspension fix (unsuccessful), halfshaft squeaks (partial progress), shattered front camera lens (_really_ unlucky rock strike)

3) HVAC fix (successful, they actually listened to me this time), suspension fix (successful, they actually listened to me this time), halfshaft squeaks (actually fixed this time)

4) Charge port door getting stuck, some minor stuff
So only 3 times per instructions:

#1 doesn't qualify - "Things that were (or could have been) addressed by Mobile Service do not count"

edit: @RoadRunner - My apologies if I'm not reading your instructions correctly.

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

#1 doesn't qualify - "Things that were (or could have been) addressed by Mobile Service do not count"

edit: @RoadRunner - My apologies if I'm not reading your instructions correctly.
As I don't yet have a Rivian and haven't paid that much attention, I don't know which recalls etc could have been done by mobile service. So I'm not going to get super granular here, and just hope that people answer truthfully and follow the instructions to the best of their knowledge/ability. The more responses we get, the less each of these little details matters towards the results as a whole. Thanks for trying to keep people on track though!

Last edited:

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

I got the recall done as soon as they announced it, and I don't recall at the time whether mobile service was available in my area yet. Also I'm disqualified from a lot of mobile service calls anway since my driveway is heavily sloped, so I never check. :)

But that's a fair point, I can change my answer from 4 to 3 if there's some consensus about that.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Air conditioner recall, and added loose driver side weather stripping getting 'popped back on' (June 2023 delivery)

Sponsored

Lars24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

At this point, it's looking like 2 visits for me before 1 year of ownership (took delivery March 2023).

1. Front suspension leak leading to Service Suspension Soon message and turtle mode. Was towed to Chelsea, MA service center. Both front dampers replaced, at SC for almost 3 weeks.
2. I have an open ticket/appointment scheduled for February for SOS error and GPS not working (no issues with other connectivity like wifi and LTE). Unless moved up, it will be a 4 month wait from reporting the issue to scheduled SC visit.

Blakejakely

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Designer
Two so far; front right damper and "kinetic system" failed, and another appointment on the books to fix the extreme speaker rattle. Only one month in, so I'm hoping its only up hill from here

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I don't see an infinity option. :p

In all seriousness mine only really needed two if you don't count the recalls.

There was a telematic module that failed in the beginning.

Then there was the tock, and the tock is perpetual.

The Bellevue service department blames how I drive despite the tock actually being worse with Adaptive Cruise control in traffic

The Auburn Service department is willing to schedule in appointment to see if there isn't something that can be done. Or at least as a second opinion. But, I haven't scheduled anything yet as its cold and the tock tends to be less prevalent. Its still there but its less annoying. Plus it hasn't stopped raining for days now.

OP
OP

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Bumping this to see if we can get to 200+ responses.
So far with 160 responses, about 46% report 0 or 1 required service center visit, and 37% report 3 or more. The remaining 17% report 2 visits needed.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Two visits, both times the vehicle was returned with a note acknowledging the problem but stating that they couldn't fix it and that I needed to schedule another visit so they can try again.

So it will be at least 3 - if I can get a 3rd visit scheduled before that 1 year mark.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Two visits, both times the vehicle was returned with a note acknowledging the problem but stating that they couldn't fix it and that I needed to schedule another visit so they can try again.

So it will be at least 3 - if I can get a 3rd visit scheduled before that 1 year mark.
I have good news to report. Rivian is making good progress on resolving the service backlog. It no longer takes 3 months to book an appointment.

The not so great news is that I am up to 6 visits.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
two mobile service visits in first 15 months. First need for service center at month 15. towed at Rivian's expense (>$1200).

Also had an expended stint at a collision center 2.5 hours from me at month 4-6 (nearest one at the time).
Sponsored