Sponsored

Please help me make final choice on my pre price-hike config

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Mods - sorry if this is the wrong subforum...please move if/as appropriate.

SO I pre-ordered eons ago and have been continually pushing back delivery pending the expiry of existing vehicle leases. That happens Spring of '24 so it's getting close and I'd like to finalize my config once and for all.

I have pre price-hike pricing.

CONFIG A, as originally envisioned:
-Quad
-Forest Green
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
303 Mile EST Range
$78,800

CONFIG B, after they released Dual/Max:
-Dual
-White or LA Silver (i.e. free colors)
-Max Pack
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
380 Mile EST Range
$83,800

So basically, for $5k more and via sacrificing exterior color choice, I get an extra 77 miles of EPA-estimated range. I know the difference will be smaller IRL.

What's the conventional wisdom around here been on this trade-off?

TIA
CONFIG A, as originally envisioned:
-Quad
-Forest Green
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
303 Mile EST Range
$78,800

This is such an easy choice. Go with the Torque Vectoring Horsepower Monster - Quad Motor SPEARMINT Edition aka Forest green on Ocean Coast R1S

Rivian R1T R1S Please help me make final choice on my pre price-hike config GUM
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the thoughts. I think something that's still sort of sticking in my mind is that we're soon to have kids in college, and if the R1S remains our only vehicle - as hoped - then it's possible if not likely that I'll want that marginal extra range in the Max.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

If the cost is about the same, go for the dual max

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
In case anyone is interested, I'm now leaning toward giving up my early pricing (too lazy and risk averse to buy and resell) and leasing a Dual/Standard+. With $0 down I can get a configuration with a $77k MSRP and $895/mo price for 3 years. And, it qualifies for a $7500 rebate in my state (MA) on top of the federal $.

That compares to $10k down to purchase a similar MSRP quad/large at the old pricing, that'd result in a $1200+/mo payment for 6 years.

It also buys me a window for Rivian to convert to the NACS port (my strong preference in the end), and ride out any corporate risk/uncertainty, however small, knowing that I will have a pre-defined out on the vehicle.

Anyway that's how I'm leaning.

Vik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S | Model S LR | Model Y Perf
In case anyone is interested, I'm now leaning toward giving up my early pricing (too lazy and risk averse to buy and resell) and leasing a Dual/Standard+. With $0 down I can get a configuration with a $77k MSRP and $895/mo price for 3 years. And, it qualifies for a $7500 rebate in my state (MA) on top of the federal $.

That compares to $10k down to purchase a similar MSRP quad/large at the old pricing, that'd result in a $1200+/mo payment for 6 years.

It also buys me a window for Rivian to convert to the NACS port (my strong preference in the end), and ride out any corporate risk/uncertainty, however small, knowing that I will have a pre-defined out on the vehicle.

Anyway that's how I'm leaning.
Honestly that makes a lot of sense. The range on the Dual/Standard is very close to Quad/Large. I am guessing these will drop like rocks in value after 3 years.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Honestly that makes a lot of sense. The range on the Dual/Standard is very close to Quad/Large. I am guessing these will drop like rocks in value after 3 years.
Thanks - I was half expecting to be pilloried here for doing this. I did go ahead and pull the trigger.
Sponsored