HalcyonRider

Active Member
First Name
Segundo
Joined
Oct 15, 2020
Messages
29
Reaction score
41
Location
Tulsa, Oklahoma
First Name
Segundo
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-t...-silence-on-board-and-low-rolling-resistance/


Milan, 02 November 2020

PIRELLI TIRES TAILOR MADE FOR RIVIAN DELIVER SILENCE ON BOARD AND LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE

SPECIAL VERSIONS OF SCORPION TIRE RANGE CREATED SPECIFICALLY FOR R1T, THE FIRST ELECTRIC PICKUP TRUCK IN THE WORLD, AND R1S, THE ELECTRIC SUV

RIV IS THE DEDICATED MARKING THAT WILL IDENTIFY PIRELLI’S TIRES FOR RIVIAN; ELECTMARKINGS WILL IDENTIFY EV TIRES

PIRELLI’S 21-INCH TIRES FOR RIVIAN HAVE A WORLD-UNIQUE SIZE


Milan, 2 November, 2020. The EV startup Rivian has chosen Pirelli Scorpion range to fit its highly anticipated R1T pickup, which begins production in June 2021, and its R1S electric SUV.

Pirelli has developed special versions of its Scorpion Verde All Season, Scorpion Zero All Season and Scorpion All Terrain tires (Pirelli’s dedicated range for SUVs and pickups) to meet Rivian’s specifications, and to enhance the vehicles’ unique characteristics following the “Pirelli Perfect Fit” strategy. Indeed, all Pirelli tires developed for Rivian have a special marking on the shoulder: RIV and Elect.

“Elect” is the marking that identifies Pirelli tires for electric vehicles. Tires play a crucial role in EV performance – they are a key safety, performance, and range optimizer.

Pirelli tires marked “Elect” offer a number of advantages for electric vehicles, thanks to a specific set of technical characteristics. Low rolling resistance helps to maximize each car’s range. In electric cars, reduction in noise accentuates one of the key advantages of electric driving: silence. Finally, the Pirelli tires marked “Elect” offer improved traction in line with the intense demands from the transmission. Electric motors deliver the maximum torque available right from the bottom of the rev range, and so they need tires that can bite into the asphalt instantly.

Pirelli and Rivian co-developed these products over almost two years, and this collaboration has resulted in three special tires: 20, 21 and 22 inches. In particular, the Scorpion Verde All Season in 21 inches have a very special tire size, unique in the world, introduced in the industry by Pirelli specifically for Rivian: 275 55R21.

The technical partnership with Rivian underlines the focus of Pirelli on sustainable mobility and American car brands.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON: THE “LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE” TIRE

The Scorpion Verde (Italian for green) All Season is Pirelli's eco-friendly Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of crossovers, sport utility vehicles and pickups.

The main challenge Pirelli’s technicians had to face to develop a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian was to meet their low rolling resistance targets.

Pirelli’s engineers worked on a higher-silica compound that decreases the vehicles’ energy consumption. Then, they worked on a dedicated design of the mold, narrowing the tread pattern of the tires and keeping an optimal footprint pressure distribution. In this case reducing surface-to-ground contact translates into less energy dissipation.

Pirelli’s Scorpion Verde All Season tires for Rivian are constructed from lighter raw materials that don’t compromise durability or performance. The Scorpion Verde All Season also presents a special size, unique in the industry: 275/55R21.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season for Rivian increases efficiency and range. It is also designed to combine dry and wet road handling, comfort and year-round capabilities, including all-season traction in light snow.

PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON: THE “GRIPPY” TIRE

If “Verde” in the Pirelli vocabulary defines its environmentally friendly tires with low rolling resistance and weight, “Zero” definitely indicates its high-performance range.

In particular, the Scorpion Zero All Season tires are developed for the drivers of powerful crossovers and SUVs, as well as sport-tuned and performance pickup trucks looking for a combination of high-performance capability with all-season utility, including the ability to drive in snow.

For its vehicles, Rivian asked Pirelli to develop an even “grippier” version of its Scorpion Zero All Season tires. To achieve this request, Pirelli’s engineers introduced nano-composite compounds to ensure maximum grip and stability. Then they focused on the tread pattern, introducing a dedicated mold with a larger tread width, able to provide more contact area and, consequently, leading to a better handling performance.

All of that, without compromising the low rolling resistance targets needed to support a longer vehicle range.

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE

Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.

In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain.

To achieve this result, Pirelli’s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.
 

twinprice

Active Member
First Name
Winston
Joined
Feb 2, 2020
Messages
25
Reaction score
20
Location
Richmond, VA
First Name
Winston
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Preorder - Model Y, and RS1

jimcgov3

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jimmy
Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
440
Location
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
You know these are not going to be inexpensive. Here's hoping there is an automatic pothole defensive driving program installed in the Rivian brain!
While some Tesla owners and Elon think that is a great idea, that sounds terrifying. My '17 MS with EAP/FSD, while driving with "Navigate on AP" on will magically mash brakes for no apparent reason or when switching lanes the car will abort switching lanes and jump back into the original lane and there was definitely no one in the lane. Who keeps up with the pothole database to ensure that the size of the pothole hasn't grown? or it has been fixed? Could you imagine being in the lane with a now fixed pothole and the car swerves to miss the pothole that isn't there? Haha.
 

skyote

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
1,242
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, will be ordering R1S
Hahahaha! Add 750HP and 829lb-ft of torque. Sounds like Six Flags Over Texas!!
Six Flags over Tombstone maybe. Seriously a reason that we need a wife/kid/valet mode.
 

PoorPilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2018
Messages
148
Reaction score
88
Location
FL350
Vehicles
2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
While some Tesla owners and Elon think that is a great idea, that sounds terrifying. My '17 MS with EAP/FSD, while driving with "Navigate on AP" on will magically mash brakes for no apparent reason or when switching lanes the car will abort switching lanes and jump back into the original lane and there was definitely no one in the lane. Who keeps up with the pothole database to ensure that the size of the pothole hasn't grown? or it has been fixed? Could you imagine being in the lane with a now fixed pothole and the car swerves to miss the pothole that isn't there? Haha.
It has improved in the almost 3 years I've had my X, but sometimes you just never know what she's going to do. Whether it's a shadow from an overpass or a ghost vehicle in the lane next to you, testing your reaction time can be part of the "adventure".

Back to the original topic though- every set of Pirelli tires I've had has only lasted a fraction of the expected timeframe or mileage. I'm not expecting a drastic change with these, so hopefully some other manufacturers start making different options in the "unique size".
 

bsaik

Member
First Name
Barry
Joined
Apr 29, 2020
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
SF Bay Area
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
It has improved in the almost 3 years I've had my X, but sometimes you just never know what she's going to do. Whether it's a shadow from an overpass or a ghost vehicle in the lane next to you, testing your reaction time can be part of the "adventure".

Back to the original topic though- every set of Pirelli tires I've had has only lasted a fraction of the expected timeframe or mileage. I'm not expecting a drastic change with these, so hopefully some other manufacturers start making different options in the "unique size".
BF Goodrich All-Terrains please!
 

jeeden

Active Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Oct 27, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
29
Location
Northern VA
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
It has improved in the almost 3 years I've had my X, but sometimes you just never know what she's going to do. Whether it's a shadow from an overpass or a ghost vehicle in the lane next to you, testing your reaction time can be part of the "adventure".

Back to the original topic though- every set of Pirelli tires I've had has only lasted a fraction of the expected timeframe or mileage. I'm not expecting a drastic change with these, so hopefully some other manufacturers start making different options in the "unique size".
I hope so too, but we will have to suffer with the OEM until the wear out. I have been buying Michelins the last few years. I used to think they were hype and had issues with the cost, but geez they are really good. They perform so nice and they last forever. My wife who is a non-car person and just wants it to "go" even commented how our SUV was so much better since I got the new tires. All of the Pirelli's we have had on multiple Explorers and my mustang have been toast at 20k miles with quite a bit of babying too.
 

outdoors_jp

Member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
Location
83815
First Name
Josh
Vehicles
Highlander, Expedition EL, Cybertruck, R1S
Occupation
Geologist
Can someone explain the reason for the different size tires. I have ordered an R1S. I will be driving on paved roads 95% of the time. The other 5% are dirt/rock mountain roads. Also something good for significant snow and winter driving. Thanks
 

DucRider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Oct 21, 2019
Messages
495
Reaction score
515
Location
rRegon
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
Can someone explain the reason for the different size tires. I have ordered an R1S. I will be driving on paved roads 95% of the time. The other 5% are dirt/rock mountain roads. Also something good for significant snow and winter driving. Thanks
Different tire sizes are needed for the different wheel sizes.
Larger wheels are popular for predominantly aesthetic reasons (at the sacrifice of many performance characteristics).
 

skyote

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
1,242
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, will be ordering R1S
Can someone explain the reason for the different size tires. I have ordered an R1S. I will be driving on paved roads 95% of the time. The other 5% are dirt/rock mountain roads. Also something good for significant snow and winter driving. Thanks
Lower profile tires (usually larger wheels) are better for on road performance, particularly cornering, as the shorter sidewalls are stiffer & flex less.

Smaller wheels with larger sidewalls tend to be better for both off road & comfort, due to ability to air down for increased traction off road & sidewall flex leads to a more cushioned ride.
 

Advertisement












 


Advertisement


Top