First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-t...-silence-on-board-and-low-rolling-resistance/

Milan, 02 November 2020

PIRELLI TIRES TAILOR MADE FOR RIVIAN DELIVER SILENCE ON BOARD AND LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE

SPECIAL VERSIONS OF SCORPION TIRE RANGE CREATED SPECIFICALLY FOR R1T, THE FIRST ELECTRIC PICKUP TRUCK IN THE WORLD, AND R1S, THE ELECTRIC SUV

RIV IS THE DEDICATED MARKING THAT WILL IDENTIFY PIRELLIā€™S TIRES FOR RIVIAN; ELECTMARKINGS WILL IDENTIFY EV TIRES

PIRELLIā€™S 21-INCH TIRES FOR RIVIAN HAVE A WORLD-UNIQUE SIZE

Milan, 2 November, 2020. The EV startup Rivian has chosen Pirelli Scorpion range to fit its highly anticipated R1T pickup, which begins production in June 2021, and its R1S electric SUV.

Pirelli has developed special versions of its Scorpion Verde All Season, Scorpion Zero All Season and Scorpion All Terrain tires (Pirelliā€™s dedicated range for SUVs and pickups) to meet Rivianā€™s specifications, and to enhance the vehiclesā€™ unique characteristics following the ā€œPirelli Perfect Fitā€ strategy. Indeed, all Pirelli tires developed for Rivian have a special marking on the shoulder: RIV and Elect.

ā€œElectā€ is the marking that identifies Pirelli tires for electric vehicles. Tires play a crucial role in EV performance ā€“ they are a key safety, performance, and range optimizer.

Pirelli tires marked ā€œElectā€ offer a number of advantages for electric vehicles, thanks to a specific set of technical characteristics. Low rolling resistance helps to maximize each carā€™s range. In electric cars, reduction in noise accentuates one of the key advantages of electric driving: silence. Finally, the Pirelli tires marked ā€œElectā€ offer improved traction in line with the intense demands from the transmission. Electric motors deliver the maximum torque available right from the bottom of the rev range, and so they need tires that can bite into the asphalt instantly.

Pirelli and Rivian co-developed these products over almost two years, and this collaboration has resulted in three special tires: 20, 21 and 22 inches. In particular, the Scorpion Verde All Season in 21 inches have a very special tire size, unique in the world, introduced in the industry by Pirelli specifically for Rivian: 275 55R21.

The technical partnership with Rivian underlines the focus of Pirelli on sustainable mobility and American car brands.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON: THE ā€œLOW ROLLING RESISTANCEā€ TIRE

The Scorpion Verde (Italian for green) All Season is Pirelli's eco-friendly Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of crossovers, sport utility vehicles and pickups.

The main challenge Pirelliā€™s technicians had to face to develop a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian was to meet their low rolling resistance targets.

Pirelliā€™s engineers worked on a higher-silica compound that decreases the vehiclesā€™ energy consumption. Then, they worked on a dedicated design of the mold, narrowing the tread pattern of the tires and keeping an optimal footprint pressure distribution. In this case reducing surface-to-ground contact translates into less energy dissipation.

Pirelliā€™s Scorpion Verde All Season tires for Rivian are constructed from lighter raw materials that donā€™t compromise durability or performance. The Scorpion Verde All Season also presents a special size, unique in the industry: 275/55R21.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season for Rivian increases efficiency and range. It is also designed to combine dry and wet road handling, comfort and year-round capabilities, including all-season traction in light snow.

PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON: THE ā€œGRIPPYā€ TIRE

If ā€œVerdeā€ in the Pirelli vocabulary defines its environmentally friendly tires with low rolling resistance and weight, ā€œZeroā€ definitely indicates its high-performance range.

In particular, the Scorpion Zero All Season tires are developed for the drivers of powerful crossovers and SUVs, as well as sport-tuned and performance pickup trucks looking for a combination of high-performance capability with all-season utility, including the ability to drive in snow.

For its vehicles, Rivian asked Pirelli to develop an even ā€œgrippierā€ version of its Scorpion Zero All Season tires. To achieve this request, Pirelliā€™s engineers introduced nano-composite compounds to ensure maximum grip and stability. Then they focused on the tread pattern, introducing a dedicated mold with a larger tread width, able to provide more contact area and, consequently, leading to a better handling performance.

All of that, without compromising the low rolling resistance targets needed to support a longer vehicle range.

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE

Pirelliā€™s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.

In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain.

To achieve this result, Pirelliā€™s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.
Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

You know these are not going to be inexpensive. Here's hoping there is an automatic pothole defensive driving program installed in the Rivian brain!
While some Tesla owners and Elon think that is a great idea, that sounds terrifying. My '17 MS with EAP/FSD, while driving with "Navigate on AP" on will magically mash brakes for no apparent reason or when switching lanes the car will abort switching lanes and jump back into the original lane and there was definitely no one in the lane. Who keeps up with the pothole database to ensure that the size of the pothole hasn't grown? or it has been fixed? Could you imagine being in the lane with a now fixed pothole and the car swerves to miss the pothole that isn't there? Haha.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Could you imagine being in the lane with a now fixed pothole and the car swerves to miss the pothole that isn't there? Haha.
Sounds equally as mystifying & terrifying as riding with my wife...

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hahahaha! Add 750HP and 829lb-ft of torque. Sounds like Six Flags Over Texas!!
Six Flags over Tombstone maybe. Seriously a reason that we need a wife/kid/valet mode.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

While some Tesla owners and Elon think that is a great idea, that sounds terrifying. My '17 MS with EAP/FSD, while driving with "Navigate on AP" on will magically mash brakes for no apparent reason or when switching lanes the car will abort switching lanes and jump back into the original lane and there was definitely no one in the lane. Who keeps up with the pothole database to ensure that the size of the pothole hasn't grown? or it has been fixed? Could you imagine being in the lane with a now fixed pothole and the car swerves to miss the pothole that isn't there? Haha.
It has improved in the almost 3 years I've had my X, but sometimes you just never know what she's going to do. Whether it's a shadow from an overpass or a ghost vehicle in the lane next to you, testing your reaction time can be part of the "adventure".

Back to the original topic though- every set of Pirelli tires I've had has only lasted a fraction of the expected timeframe or mileage. I'm not expecting a drastic change with these, so hopefully some other manufacturers start making different options in the "unique size".

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
It has improved in the almost 3 years I've had my X, but sometimes you just never know what she's going to do. Whether it's a shadow from an overpass or a ghost vehicle in the lane next to you, testing your reaction time can be part of the "adventure".

Back to the original topic though- every set of Pirelli tires I've had has only lasted a fraction of the expected timeframe or mileage. I'm not expecting a drastic change with these, so hopefully some other manufacturers start making different options in the "unique size".
BF Goodrich All-Terrains please!

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I hope so too, but we will have to suffer with the OEM until the wear out. I have been buying Michelins the last few years. I used to think they were hype and had issues with the cost, but geez they are really good. They perform so nice and they last forever. My wife who is a non-car person and just wants it to "go" even commented how our SUV was so much better since I got the new tires. All of the Pirelli's we have had on multiple Explorers and my mustang have been toast at 20k miles with quite a bit of babying too.

Sponsored

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
I guess after two tank turns the R1T needs new tires:rolleyes:

outdoors_jp

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Highlander
Occupation
Geologist
Can someone explain the reason for the different size tires. I have ordered an R1S. I will be driving on paved roads 95% of the time. The other 5% are dirt/rock mountain roads. Also something good for significant snow and winter driving. Thanks

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Can someone explain the reason for the different size tires. I have ordered an R1S. I will be driving on paved roads 95% of the time. The other 5% are dirt/rock mountain roads. Also something good for significant snow and winter driving. Thanks
Different tire sizes are needed for the different wheel sizes.
Larger wheels are popular for predominantly aesthetic reasons (at the sacrifice of many performance characteristics).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lower profile tires (usually larger wheels) are better for on road performance, particularly cornering, as the shorter sidewalls are stiffer & flex less.

Smaller wheels with larger sidewalls tend to be better for both off road & comfort, due to ability to air down for increased traction off road & sidewall flex leads to a more cushioned ride.
Sponsored