Pellet Grill/Smoker

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Disappointed....I thought this thread was going to be about how someone had already welded a smoker to a hitch mount and running it off the Rivian-provided A/C outlet. ;)
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Similar boat here. I got an Ooni pizza oven that uses the same pellets and have put more pellets through that in the last year than the smooker. COVID sucks.
Was looking at that OONI (since its original crowdfunding days) but the vegetarian wife decided that "we" were going to lay off carbs this year. She's since eased up on her directive so maybe I'll go for it. Neighbor bought a very high-end outdoor pizza oven this summer so I'll forever be behind the curve.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/Y/3, R1T, R1S (order)
Big fan of my Camp Chef Woodwind 36". I wanted basically all bells/whistles: WIFI, 4 built-in temp probes, propane attachment called a Sidekick w/removable griddle & removeable grill box. Been fun and works great.

BFE7983E-8B31-4526-9D8F-5E01BA83D49D.jpg

58794D05-FB76-4594-A6DA-1BBFD858AE5A.jpg
ooh my favorite brand of knife...ribs don't look bad either

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Thanks to this thread, there’s now a Recteq RT-340 sitting in its box in my garage, waiting for Christmas. I threw it on my Christmas wishlist I sent to the in-laws, and they splurged on it for us! Gonna at least wait until they visit so they can have the pleasure of helping set it up and give it a first smoke. Planning to do pork shoulder and wings while they’re here.

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Thanks to this thread, there’s now a Recteq RT-340 sitting in its box in my garage, waiting for Christmas. I threw it on my Christmas wishlist I sent to the in-laws, and they splurged on it for us! Gonna at least wait until they visit so they can have the pleasure of helping set it up and give it a first smoke. Planning to do pork shoulder and wings while they’re here.
Recteq for the win! I am the smoking maestro...as long as the recteq is doing all the work. The ease of achieving epic deliciousness cannot be overstated.

Sponsored

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

I have a Big green egg for grilling and a green mountain grill pellet smoker for smoking, one of the retail stores I manage sells them both so of course I had to use my discount to buy both to try out. Lol. green mountain makes a small pellet smoker that's great for tailgating, connects to either a 12v or 120v it's small and easy to move around pretty cool that sucker has wifi so easy to keep an eye on temps and make adjustments if needed, big green egg also makes a small charcoal grill, but that sucker still weights a ton. But I gotta say I still Love them both

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

What's everyone cooking today for Memorial Day? I think today it will just be burgers for us but this is what I had on the smoker last weekend for a little shindig

Rivian R1T R1S Pellet Grill/Smoker PXL_20220522_232227699.MP

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
What's everyone cooking today for Memorial Day? I think today it will just be burgers for us but this is what I had on the smoker last weekend for a little shindig

PXL_20220522_232227699.MP.jpg
Nothing for me. Those pork shoulders look incredible! It’s snowing where I live, so it doesn’t really feel like “beginning of summer”.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

PXL_20220522_232227699.MP.jpg
Looking good!!!

We were thinking split chicken breasts to pull for sandwiches, but I think we saw that baby back ribs were on sale, so we might do those.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Nothing for me. Those pork shoulders look incredible! It’s snowing where I live, so it doesn’t really feel like “beginning of summer”.
Thanks! It was a labor of love but I think that was the best butt I've done. I live in the heart of pulled pork country so it's certainly a point of pride. The chopped beef (chuck roast in front of the pork) turned out great too. Perfect way to feed a large group.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Disappointed....I thought this thread was going to be about how someone had already welded a smoker to a hitch mount and running it off the Rivian-provided A/C outlet. ;)
I have seen much worse ideas come to fruition.:facepalm:

We bought the Traeger Scout Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker from an event at Costco way back in Oct 21, but have yet to unpack it due to really wet and cold weather here in the PNW. I know, I know. We need to break the thing out and start smokin'. I'm on the coast, so any usage here equals rust down the road.

This purchase was both for the R1T and also home usage as it only weighs 45 lbs and has a 115v plug. Ours came with a cover and we picked up two bags of Traeger branded Hickory pellets. It seemed like the perfect match for the R1T, and at the time ridiculously thought our R1T would arrive sOOn.

For the curious the Costco model # was TFT18PLD, even though Traeger lists it as a TFT18PLDO. It appears that the Traeger Ranger model TFT18KLD has replaced the Scout. The newer Ranger is more square in design, weighs 15 lbs more, has double the hooper capacity, and has the newer Digital Arc Controller that lets you tweak the cooking temp in 5*F increments vs 25*F increments on the Scout.

This article explains the differences in greater detail, along with side-by-side comparisons. Traeger Scout and Ranger

We paid $299 with the cover for our Scout model. Amazon lists the newer Ranger model at $449.95 with free shipping for Prime members. There are local Traeger shops everywhere if that is your preference.

Finally, I will do my best to break this thing out in the next week or so and see what's what. I promise to swing back and tell you how it went.

Last edited:

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Me too

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
I've got a Yoder YS640 and have had it for about 5 years now. One of the best purchases I've ever made (hope to add another to that list sOOn)
I have ys640 as well. Sent the first one back cuz the paint started flaking off and metal rusting after 2 weeks of ownership. Bad paint job in that batch I guess. My second is much better but still rusts. It’s always covered.

Regardless, what stout smoker. More smoker than I need or deserve.