First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I don't see how they could do an OTA to update that. As far as I understand, it would be a hardware thing. For a "Future Proof" vehicle, I can't believe they missed this one.
Unless the 5ghz radios are just turned off. Who would have thought garage door opening would be an OTA feature?

We don't know what they have in these trucks!
Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
So everyone is just updating on 2.4ghz? The antenna in the Rivian is REALLY weak. I literally have the truck parked within 15 - 20 feet of modem and barely gets 1 bar. My phone gets full bars.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Unless the 5ghz radios are just turned off. Who would have thought garage door opening would be an OTA feature?

We don't know what they have in these trucks!
They were pretty ambiguous on the garage door opener hardware for a while there. The earliest release of the user manual referenced the Chamberlain hardware, but it was removed from subsequent releases. Many of us speculated it may not have been included in the final builds and Rivian might attempt to rely on network-based which would have been a terrible call. Thankfully they just removed the reference to prevent confusion before the software was released.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Anyone got or found release notes to post? Curious how much changed from the beta that that one guy got and the whole internet exploded waiting for theirs.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Anyone got or found release notes to post? Curious how much changed from the beta that that one guy got and the whole internet exploded waiting for theirs.
The only thing I noticed that might be different is they called out the outlet timers when turning them on from the Energy app. They now automatically shut off after 24 hours, so it apears there is no more leaving on the outlets indefinitely.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
So everyone is just updating on 2.4ghz? The antenna in the Rivian is REALLY weak. I literally have the truck parked within 15 - 20 feet of modem and barely gets 1 bar. My phone gets full bars.
To clarify, when the update appears in your truck, it's already downloaded. It does this on its own, and only then does it alert you to install it.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The only thing I noticed that might be different is they called out the outlet timers when turning them on from the Energy app. They now automatically shut off after 24 hours, so it apears there is no more leaving on the outlets indefinitely.
What a coincidence you just noted this. I was just horsing around with settings (literally within the last hour) and was "sighing" by realizing I would have to remember to turn those on and off to prevent drain. I was happy to have noticed it, otherwise I could have seen myself trying to use them and thinking they weren't working.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't see how they could do an OTA to update that. As far as I understand, it would be a hardware thing. For a "Future Proof" vehicle, I can't believe they missed this one.
2.4 is not going anywhere anytime soon. It is still supported in the latest WiFi 6 standards. A lot of hardware objects only use 2.4 ghz. 5 is faster but 2.4 has much more range. Things at my house only supporting 2.4 wall charger (not Rivian), Tesla Power Wall, Solar controller, smart switches, smart plugs, security cameras, fridge, sprinkler controllers, etc…

Because of range many people may not even see the 5 ghz band in their garages.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.4 is not going anywhere anytime soon. It is still supported in the latest WiFi 6 standards. A lot of hardware objects only use 2.4 ghz. 5 is faster but 2.4 has much more range. Things at my house only supporting 2.4 wall charger (not Rivian), Tesla Power Wall, Solar controller, smart switches, smart plugs, security cameras, fridge, sprinkler controllers, etc…

Because of range many people may not even see the 5 ghz band in their garages.
Agreed about 2.4ghz. 5ghz would just be welcomed for updates. It's not a range issue for me when my phone and laptop get full 5ghz bars. But I go back to the fact that the Rivian antenna is unbelievably weak, at least mine is. Again, full bars on 2.4ghz on phone and laptop - 1 bar, sometimes zero, on Rivian. 1st world problems we have here folks.

Side note: My family and I have done A LOT of service work in 3rd world countries. When I get frustrated with this stuff, not just Rivian of course, but many things...I just reflect on that and take a deep breath.

Last edited:

Sponsored

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I was humming this song yesterday that felt so familiar and I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Then I realized it was the Rivian hold music. I have the entire one fooking song memorized and I keep fantasizing about jerking that acoustic guitar out of that hippie’s hands and smashing it!
“I gaaave my looove a cherrrrry…that haaaad no…”

[SMASHSMASHSMASH…SMASH]

“Sorry.”

(My OTA is installing now…fwiw)

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Is this not a rolling update? I already have notification of the update being ready.

Not that I’m complaining….

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Any floor mats in this release? 🤷‍♂️

looking forward to the reports from the early adopters. really hoping the alarm is fixed!

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DJG said:
I actually did find a way to instigate the OTAs. I created a video to walk through the steps.

Rivian R1T R1S OTA 2022.31.5 software released publicly bruh

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Running the update right now. My main concern is the line that states:
"Outlets: 120 V, 12 V, USB-C, and the wireless charging pad stay on. The outlets can stay on for a maximum duration of 24 hours, with the option to choose a shorter duration."

Once the update is complete maybe I will have more information but I run a cooler in the bed of my truck 24/7. I am hoping that 24 hour period resets each time I use the truck otherwise this is going to be a major problem.

Also my Bluetooth unlocking has been horrible! Seems like the hotter it gets the worse it gets. Unfortunately nothing a user can do to change the sensitivity. It is 106 here today in San Diego and I'm yelling at the truck to open while I am opening the app to manually unlock the truck. Sucks when your hands are full.
Sponsored