First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work
Took an impromptu day trip from SoCal to Pismo after seeing another member on the dunes. Charged at the Target in Santa Maria and had plenty of pack left for a few hours in the dunes.

I was so underprepared for this. Bought a whip at the local liquor store and had snacks and a shovel. After seeing a few campers stuck in the sand I realized straps are a must.

With the truck in sand mode and air'd down to 25psi it handled everything I was willing to throw at it. I'll say the sounds and power delivery reminded me of playing with RC buggies.

Range on the sand was a solid .76. Took about 50 miles of range in the time I was there.

Next time I'll bring more than a shovel and be more adventurous. I'm not sure if there is a group page where we can announce a trip to help coordinate random meet ups. I definitely would have enjoyed seeing some R1's out there

Lastly I was pleasantly surprised how many people stopped me on the sand and asked about the truck with a few asking to take pictures. Airing up in the parking lot always gets some looks and showing the onboard off makes the task go by that much quicker.

Till next time.

Rivian R1T R1S Oceano Dunes Pismo Beach w/ R1T in Sand Mode and air'd down to 25psi PXL_20230207_212315996

Rivian R1T R1S Oceano Dunes Pismo Beach w/ R1T in Sand Mode and air'd down to 25psi PXL_20230207_205720000.PORTRAIT

Rivian R1T R1S Oceano Dunes Pismo Beach w/ R1T in Sand Mode and air'd down to 25psi PXL_20230207_220632820
Sponsored

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
I'm in the bay area, and its on my list of things to do over the next few months! Sounds like so much fun.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I too am from the Bay Area and planning to take my R1T to Pismo s00n!

Besides a tow strap, what else would you recommend bringing to be more prepared?

OP
OP

Aka_Buck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work

Besides a tow strap, what else would you recommend bringing to be more prepared?
Definitely a shovel and a friend. I realized when out in the dunes that it you get stuck you could have quite a walk to try to find help. My trip was also mid week and I only say 1 other person on a quad back in the dunes.

Also a better whip solution vs the suction cups. Maybe one that mounts to the front tow hook. But using the front cameras while cresting really helped see how steep the other side is.

My biggest fear was high siding it and having to dig for hours to get out. That being said the truck is awesome in sand mode and I never felt I couldn't make it up a hill.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Gorgeous truck! This is the exact build I wanted when I placed my reservation (just with the dual motor to save $$). Keep enjoying those beach runs!

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Looks like you had a blast! Love the color of your ride… got the same color on my R1S, so looking forward to the delivery soon.

I was there a couple months ago and rented a UTV. We got stuck in one of their dunes, but thankfully another driver saw us and helped us get rolling again.

It’s a little deceptive how deep some of the dunes are!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I brought the Tundra down there a few years ago, and let my daughter drive (with her permit) on the dunes. She loved it. Planning to go back with the Rivian when we get a few days to go play. Thanks for posting!

Anyone tried this on 21s? I haven’t fully committed to the 20s yet.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Definitely a shovel and a friend. I realized when out in the dunes that it you get stuck you could have quite a walk to try to find help. My trip was also mid week and I only say 1 other person on a quad back in the dunes.

Also a better whip solution vs the suction cups. Maybe one that mounts to the front tow hook. But using the front cameras while cresting really helped see how steep the other side is.

My biggest fear was high siding it and having to dig for hours to get out. That being said the truck is awesome in sand mode and I never felt I couldn't make it up a hill.
I’m going to bring a shovel, a kinetic tow rope and whatever straps are needed to attach the rope to either end of my truck. I’m thinking it might be fun to help others that are stuck, and that’ll be a good opportunity to learn how to do it if/when I get stuck, while earning some karma credits that could be needed.

I’m going to 3D print a part to mount the whip/flag in the bed. Can you tell me the diameter of the whip post? Did you buy your whip at Pismo?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm in Los Angles and would meet some people out there if there is a group that wants to go. It's also fun to go up to Rowher Flats or Gorman for some trails.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aka_Buck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work
I'm in Los Angles and would meet some people out there if there is a group that wants to go. It's also fun to go up to Rowher Flats or Gorman for some trails.
Sounds awesome. I did the off-road practice area up on the grapevine. Was fun but way different than the dunes. We should post up something in the SoCal section for a weekend activity.

I did some fire roads down in Temecula that were pretty good and wide enough to not leave pinstripes.

Rivian R1T R1S Oceano Dunes Pismo Beach w/ R1T in Sand Mode and air'd down to 25psi PXL_20221105_164635231

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Sounds awesome. I did the off-road practice area up on the grapevine. Was fun but way different than the dunes. We should post up something in the SoCal section for a weekend activity.

I did some fire roads down in Temecula that were pretty good and wide enough to not leave pinstripes.

PXL_20221105_164635231.jpg
yeah I took my r1T to Gorman to test it out when I first got it. Theres some fun obstacles but the trails are just narrow enough that you can’t get pinstripes before you know it.

tag me if you setup a SoCal thread for good sand areas and/or trail areas. I’ll meet up.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Took an impromptu day trip from SoCal to Pismo after seeing another member on the dunes. Charged at the Target in Santa Maria and had plenty of pack left for a few hours in the dunes.

I was so underprepared for this. Bought a whip at the local liquor store and had snacks and a shovel. After seeing a few campers stuck in the sand I realized straps are a must.

With the truck in sand mode and air'd down to 25psi it handled everything I was willing to throw at it. I'll say the sounds and power delivery reminded me of playing with RC buggies.

Range on the sand was a solid .76. Took about 50 miles of range in the time I was there.

Next time I'll bring more than a shovel and be more adventurous. I'm not sure if there is a group page where we can announce a trip to help coordinate random meet ups. I definitely would have enjoyed seeing some R1's out there

Lastly I was pleasantly surprised how many people stopped me on the sand and asked about the truck with a few asking to take pictures. Airing up in the parking lot always gets some looks and showing the onboard off makes the task go by that much quicker.

Till next time.

PXL_20230207_212315996.jpg

PXL_20230207_205720000.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230207_220632820.jpg
Awesome! Question - manual says to air down to 31. Any reason you picked 25? I know ICE I usually air down half.

Good to know I can go to say 30 and then have some room to air down to 25 if stuck. Since I never got stock in a CRV I hope I don't get stuck in a rivian - soft sands of Long Island.

So you're talking 100 miles of range if you did a whole batter on the sand. Not bad.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s

Also a wood board or max trax like product - you can put it under a stuck wheel to get traction.

Our beaches require (also good should haves):

-tow straps
-recovery ring
-shovel
-board
-bucket (if you have to excrete or egest)

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
yeah I took my r1T to Gorman to test it out when I first got it. Theres some fun obstacles but the trails are just narrow enough that you can’t get pinstripes before you know it.

tag me if you setup a SoCal thread for good sand areas and/or trail areas. I’ll meet up.
PPF will help with the pinstripes, I think : ) Will let you know.
Sponsored