Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Pictures over on Reddit show that OC has black speaker grills in the A pillar and not the White ones shown in the configurator. Essentially, it looks like the one from the video that RJ posted and everyone was complaining about.

aka1mxxzmxj91.jpg

eb0wuxxzmxj91.jpg

They match the steering wheel...
Sponsored

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Your living room walls are probably red with a black leather sofa too, right? They look horrible to anyone with a sense of design. And Rivian is hoping we don't notice.
You really need to calm down.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
You really need to calm down.
Don't give it if you can't take it. Pretty simple rule. Am I right? Rivian is throwing random crap they have laying around to make trucks, and some people are ok with that. Not me, like my stance or not... I have close friends who are designers and cringed when they saw that. Don't half a$$ it, Rivian. They are giving us a 95% complete OC.

Call me when it's actually ready, or keep your truck.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

Yep. Definitely buying a “luxury” vehicle to customize it (especially the interior) 😂
The vehicle is over $80,000, I think you can spend a few hundred more to get them colored.

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

The vehicle is over $80,000, I think you can spend a few hundred more to get them colored.
Nope

edit: ^^^ that was the short answer.
the long answer is how come Rivian is losing its flair for tasteful design?? But it seems like you and others are okay with it. Granted if you buy to flip then who cares.
Also if you’re into cars, you know very well that pulling trim will create all sorts of rattles and I’d rather avoid that. Plus I’m not going to have non OEM parts inside my vehicle. Wheels, things like that why not, but not the interior.
They know it’s bad taste to have black grills otherwise their configurator would show black grills rather than matching ones.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

You can make the same argument for over $80k they should already be colored, just like their website shows.

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
That's cool but you have got to realize that not everyone will share the same opinion. If I order a red vehicle and a blue one shows up, I'm not going to be happy no matter how many people tell me they prefer the blue.

The configurator shows the grills matching the headliner. If that is not going to be the case, Rivian needs to change the configurator so people can know what they are actually signing up for.
I’m not sure if somebody already posted this… but my guess is they are moving in this direction as a cost savings and streamlining of the production line, the Sandy Monroe mantra, and Tesla production line example, (use the same part over multiple models). That’s why they might want use the speaker grill from the original/ unchanged black mountain on the new ocean coast builds… you only have one part for two car builds… A bad decision in my opinion, the aesthetics are really more important.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Calm down. Take a deep breath. Don’t be an ass to the CS people like it sounds like you’re about to.
This is the same guy who said those of us who were ok taking the price increase, would become targeted by those who didn’t.

Oh and he lives in my state, so that’s an added bonus.

Sponsored

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
It kinda looks like many OC customers are the highest maintenance of the three interiors.
No, we simply have entry-level design standards for an $80k vehicle. Using black speakers grills with a light colored liner is a blatant attempt to use incorrect parts and hope customers don't notice.

Clearly, by the design images we can see on the configurator, using black grills is NOT...I repeat NOT their intent. However, to pump out vehicles today, they are installing INCORRECT spare parts (in hopes we don't notice).

I've supported Rivian through all the communication snafus and lengthy waits as a 100% preorder holder just like most of you. However, this cheap move in hopes we don't notice is a low blow to our intelligence.

I'm not in board with a "let's just slap together trucks with spare parts we have" mentality. If you are ok with that, great... You can have my place in line until the CORRECT parts arrive. I'm perfectly fine to find an alternative until the proper truck with proper parts is being produced.

Lastly, if black grills is what they intend as their design, then it it what it is. Again, it's clear that is not their intent as seen in the configurator. It's not as if they showed us these pictures 2 years ago - the NEW configurator shows what the production OC truck is supposed to look like.

Anyone who supports this is helping breed an environment for Rivian leadership to continue moving the bar on what customers will call "acceptable" or "unacceptable".

I'm up for a friendly debate to anyone who can challenge my discussion using an articulate rebuttal. Disrespectful, trolling, one-liners are useless if you want to have any real discussion.

Typing from my phone - please excuse any grammar mistakes.

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just so it's clear, the grills are NOT black. They are a dark stainless steel. Almost gunmetal in color.

They are certainly not light, but it's a silver metal grille cover. Not a black plastic cover.

I took this photo today.

Rivian R1T R1S Ocean Coast Interior is Shipping with Black Speaker Grills - Photos 20220827_113932

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just so it's clear, the grills are NOT black. They are a dark stainless steel. Almost gunmetal in color.

They are certainly not light, but it's a silver metal grille cover. Not a black plastic cover.

I took this photo today.

20220827_113932.jpg
I'll update the OP.

It's hard to tell that it is silver from this picture. So, it isn't black like the BM (but appears to be from the photos) and it isn't the FE color either.

At this point, Rivian needs to be using real pictures on their website. If not in the configurator, at least have representative pictures and not just renderings.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I'm actually agnostic to the color change - but what I think Rivian absolutely needs to do is make the configurator consistent with what is actually being delivered.

It's a bad look to not deliver what you are telling people they are going to get.

Do we know for sure that this example is what all delivered OC interiors are going to look like? Maybe this was a test mule that they were testing the BM interior with before finalizing?
Sponsored