Sponsored

Now getting more range on a full charge. Anyone else?

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I was going to make a post on this very subject, because I'm making a road trip or I started it already this morning and with 20 all-terrains I went from my traditional Conserve Mode 294 miles to 312 miles!

I've been on the previous software update since day one, unless this has some learning ability I'm not sure what's transpiring here? Looking forward to Insight from others.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
What driving mode?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You must have a serious lead foot. I drive (most of the time) like I'm constantly stealing it, and even I have been getting more than that prior to my range ticking upwards this last week of more reasonable driving :D
I found out on my last excursion that there's actually a nice option for regular cruise control. It involves just keeping the pedal all the way down. Worked fine in conserve mode for the couple minutes I tested it.

Rivian R1T R1S Now getting more range on a full charge. Anyone else? 1673635370828

Last edited:

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am now getting 369 miles on a full charge in conserve mode. Has anyone else noticed this? Must have come with the latest upgrade.
You are not getting more range. Rivian is just (smartly) taking a page from Tesla's book, and giving you an optimistic estimate instead of a pessimistic one. It's a game of cloaks and mirrors. 😎

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You are not getting more range. Rivian is just (smartly) taking a page from Tesla's book, and giving you an optimistic estimate instead of a pessimistic one. It's a game of cloaks and mirrors. 😎
Nope

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I haven't seen my range change but my actual consumption is always higher than what it would be if I were getting EPA, so it could be why I never see it change is that Rivian doesn't allow it to go down below the rating. The estimation given by google maps seems to be decently close though.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I haven't seen my range change but my actual consumption is always higher than what it would be if I were getting EPA, so it could be why I never see it change is that Rivian doesn't allow it to go down below the rating. The estimation given by google maps seems to be decently close though.
It is a bit weird that some people are not seeing the slow increase. For those of you that have not seen any improvement, have you tried resetting your history?

That said with your new basic CC might be a negative for efficiency and range but you sure will get there fast.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It is a bit weird that some people are not seeing the slow increase. For those of you that have not seen any improvement, have you tried resetting your history?

That said with your new basic CC might be a negative for efficiency and range but you sure will get there fast.
I have never reset my history, and it never changed any estimate, nor did implied 100% range, until late December, about a week after the update. It did it, perhaps just coincidently, upon charging to 100%, and draining down to 20% or so, and then when I charged to 70% it was over 200 instead of 193 as it had always been. Then the estimates in the energy screen slowly started to change, first for AP, then a little for Conserve, but never in Sport. My 100% implied range for AP was in the high 270's when it was reported to be 273, and since the changes started it's creeped up from about 289 to now 295. Reported increased another mile overnight, now standing at 287.

It never made sense to me that AP and Sport were only 3 miles different, so it makes more sense for AP to be more in the middle of Sport and Conserve.

Also, if it wasn't coincidence that it took a full charge and deep discharge to change, that would possibly be consistent with opening up some usable capacity in the battery and the needed recalibration of the BMS.

I'm definitely confident based on what I've seen that a repeat 70mph range test with similar conditions that yielded around 295mi a year ago would get materially more now.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I've had an increase in estimated range for my R1T. From 195 miles at 70% to 210 miles with 70% charge.

Sponsored

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
When we took delivery of our S with AT's last November, a 70% daily charge equaled 195 miles of range. Since the last software update, its crept up to 200 (so a full charge should be about 285). Of course, real world range is almost always a bit less. We're averaging about 1.9 mi/kWh after 3500 miles driven.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
When we took delivery of our S with AT's last November, a 70% daily charge equaled 195 miles of range. Since the last software update, its crept up to 200 (so a full charge should be about 285). Of course, real world range is almost always a bit less. We're averaging about 1.9 mi/kWh after 3500 miles driven.
The lifetime average is not really a useful metric for a couple reasons. First and perhaps foremost depending on how often you drive, is that it includes energy use while parked and not plugged in. So it's biased down for everyone to some degree as a metric to be used for calculating range.

Secondly, a lot of people's lifetime average can be lower than real world for longer trips because their daily life involves mostly short trips, which are the worst ones from an efficiency standpoint. You will get better efficiency driving 250 miles at 80mph than you will doing a 5 mile commute to work every day (especially in the cold).

As you can see, your range increase is not indicative of your lifetime average efficiency, because rightly, that's not the right number to extrapolate. My lifetime is 2.24mi/kwh and I have similar/same indicated range. Which also makes sense, because despite our daily habits, if we took off on the same trip driving next to each other with the same vehicle settings, we'd experience identical efficiency/range.

So it's sort of a philosophical question, should indicated range be how far you can drive at a near constant speed, or how many miles can you drive day to day before emptying the battery. They are two very different things.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Recent real world example with the 20” AT’s:

I drove 203 freeway miles with a 100% battery charge. I drove in All Purpose mode at low vehicle height. I averaged 67 mph and arrived with 32 miles of battery range left.

Last edited:

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Mine are up no matter which percent I charge to. Noticed it after the last update.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
The lifetime average is not really a useful metric for a couple reasons. First and perhaps foremost depending on how often you drive, is that it includes energy use while parked and not plugged in. So it's biased down for everyone to some degree as a metric to be used for calculating range.

Secondly, a lot of people's lifetime average can be lower than real world for longer trips because their daily life involves mostly short trips, which are the worst ones from an efficiency standpoint. You will get better efficiency driving 250 miles at 80mph than you will doing a 5 mile commute to work every day (especially in the cold).

As you can see, your range increase is not indicative of your lifetime average efficiency, because rightly, that's not the right number to extrapolate. My lifetime is 2.24mi/kwh and I have similar/same indicated range. Which also makes sense, because despite our daily habits, if we took off on the same trip driving next to each other with the same vehicle settings, we'd experience identical efficiency/range.

So it's sort of a philosophical question, should indicated range be how far you can drive at a near constant speed, or how many miles can you drive day to day before emptying the battery. They are two very different things.
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Honestly, my real efficiency metric has been: Does a 70% charge give us plenty for a typical day of driving (i.e., still have at least 15-20% when we plug in at night), and can we still do our favorite road trips without needing to charge more than once each way? The answer is yes and yes, so I can forgive the Rivian for being an electron guzzler (compared to the vast majority of EVs on the market).
Sponsored