Noticed a Driver+ lane change feature

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
I recently noticed a very nice feature on my T while using auto drive. If you switch lanes without using your signal, the steering wheel is very stiff and requires some force to change lanes. Conversely, when you use your signal, moving over is effortless..requires no force at all, as you'd expect.
Of course you should always use a signal to change lanes, but just in case......

Am I the only one who noticed this feature.....??
Sponsored

OP
OP
zajak1

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
I don't believe this feature is listed in the Lane Departure system...Lane departure basically keeps you in lane, but when using a turn signal, the lane departure basically turns off until your back in a lane....Very nice feature!

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s not a nice feature, it’s the way the system should behave normally but for some reason, the Rivian is the only vehicle that fights you when you want to change lanes. Perhaps the new upgrade has changed the behavior of Driver+ for the better.

Sponsored

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
My Toyota RAV4 does the same thing.

OP
OP
zajak1

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
It would also be nice if once in the next lane, as soon as it determines it would be safe to re-engage Driver+, that it would just automatically do it.
It actually does that...I tried it yesterday...takes you right into the new lane...give it a try!!!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It actually does that...I tried it yesterday...takes you right into the new lane...give it a try!!!
Will do! Must be an improvement in one of the updates I missed! Thanks much!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I recently noticed a very nice feature on my T while using auto drive. If you switch lanes without using your signal, the steering wheel is very stiff and requires some force to change lanes. Conversely, when you use your signal, moving over is effortless..requires no force at all, as you'd expect.
Of course you should always use a signal to change lanes, but just in case......

Am I the only one who noticed this feature.....??
Pretty sure that's the way it's always been

Last edited:

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
It would be nice if everyone were more exact in their terminology. "Driver+" is an umbrella term that covers the whole suite of driver assistance technologies, and it's not the same thing as Highway Assist (two presses down on the stalk, only available on some roads).

The Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Warning features are part of the Driver+ suite. They work without having to turn on HWA:
  • Lane Keep Assist: Helps steer you back into your lane if you unintentionally drift close to or over a lane marker without a turn signal.
  • Lane Departure Warning: Warns you if you drift too close or cross lane markers without a turn signal on.
These have always worked as described since at least fall 2022 when I got my R1T. Using the turn signal tells these features that you are intentionally crossing a line, so the vehicle won't try to keep you from doing that or warn that you're doing that. My R1T has trained me to always use my turn signal if I don't want to be scolded by LDW or corrected by LKA.

If you are using Highway assist, however, HWA stops working when you change lanes - you have to manually re-engage it after you're in the new lane. I haven't tested this in the new release (I only got the new release last week) but there is no mention in the release notes of this changing.

OP
OP
zajak1

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
It would be nice if everyone were more exact in their terminology. "Driver+" is an umbrella term that covers the whole suite of driver assistance technologies, and it's not the same thing as Highway Assist (two presses down on the stalk, only available on some roads).

The Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Warning features are part of the Driver+ suite. They work without having to turn on HWA:
  • Lane Keep Assist: Helps steer you back into your lane if you unintentionally drift close to or over a lane marker without a turn signal.
  • Lane Departure Warning: Warns you if you drift too close or cross lane markers without a turn signal on.
These have always worked as described since at least fall 2022 when I got my R1T. Using the turn signal tells these features that you are intentionally crossing a line, so the vehicle won't try to keep you from doing that or warn that you're doing that. My R1T has trained me to always use my turn signal if I don't want to be scolded by LDW or corrected by LKA.

If you are using Highway assist, however, HWA stops working when you change lanes - you have to manually re-engage it after you're in the new lane. I haven't tested this in the new release (I only got the new release last week) but there is no mention in the release notes of this changing.
All great points…
But when I went into the new lan after using my signal, my T realigned me once I was in that new lane.
I didn’t reengsge Drive + or HWA…
Give it a try

holmespun

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra 2014 1794 Edition
Occupation
Photographer
I think that’s the way it’s always worked.

indianriver

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 / Mini Countryman PHEV
Sounds like a well executed drive assist mode - my Volvo from 2019 with Pilot Assist does all this exactly as described.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
All great points…
But when I went into the new lan after using my signal, my T realigned me once I was in that new lane.
I didn’t reengsge Drive + or HWA…
Give it a try
My HWA does not automatically re-engage after changing lanes - with or without the use of the turn signal... I'm current on the OTA updates.
Sponsored