Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Lol k. Lots of people have had no issues using them the way they intend to. Myself included. Fun fact. Highest suspension mode is high enough to stuff my tandem inflatable kayak under the truck.
Rivian R1T R1S Not really an “Adventure” vehicle PXL_20220725_002534818

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Sorry to hear that your specific adventures have been limited for the time being but
I disagree with your statement that Rivians aren't adventure vehicles. Sure, the charging infrastructure does not yet exist to support every possible adventure anyone would ever want to undertake but that does not mean that they aren't still adventure vehicles. We should all understand that it is still early days for electrification. Charging infrastructure will expand greatly in the coming years and that limitation will no longer exist.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
And just to confirm, you have consulted with apps such as Plugshare for options such as charging at campgrounds? I don't doubt that there are places you can't reach (which, by necessity, must include the return route) but some new to EVs aren't always aware of all the charging resources available to them.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just remember it's not the destination that matters, it's the Garys you meet along the way

Rivian R1T R1S Not really an “Adventure” vehicle 1659201798530

rohobono

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR
Occupation
software
I totally get where you're coming from but I think you're being a little dramatic. To me that would be like complaining that an ATV can't actually drive on all terrains. I mean it's called an ALL TERRAIN vehicle after all so it should be able to right?

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

You should have researched EVs before buying one. Your fault.
Sounds like victim blaming. Guy has a legitimate gripe about charger access and reliability. RAN is well behind schedule and Max Pack is vaporware. You will still find people in denial about EA reliability, etc. If he listened to the wrong people, it's easy to see someone getting the wrong idea about how easy it is to charge. It really stinks not knowing if the only charger in range will work or leave you stranded. I don't think that's the kind of adventure we're looking to have. I hope it gets better s00n but the current state of charger access isn't great, especially if you are coming from an ICE vehicle or a Tesla.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I've always considered the "Adventure" just a marketing term. Every manufacturer does it. Totally understand concern on the range limitations also. The marketing pushes the "Get out and explore" mentality, but in reality lack of infrastructure can limit that.

OP
OP

RonS

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tundra and 2014 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Retired
Lol k. Lots of people have had no issues using them the way they intend to. Myself included. Fun fact. Highest suspension mode is high enough to stuff my tandem inflatable kayak under the truck.
PXL_20220725_002534818.jpg
LOL yourself. I don’t consider camping in a park adventuring. I have no problems driving to KOA or similar campgrounds. You just have no idea what I am talking about. Even as I wrote this I was afraid I should. Too many cheerleaders out there. I will look and see if my post can be deleted. Trolling is a problem on Facebook. I don’t need it here.

By the way, I wonder what you think shoving your boat under your vehicle has to do with anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RonS

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear that your specific adventures have been limited for the time being but
I disagree with your statement that Rivians aren't adventure vehicles. Sure, the charging infrastructure does not yet exist to support every possible adventure anyone would ever want to undertake but that does not mean that they aren't still adventure vehicles. We should all understand that it is still early days for electrification. Charging infrastructure will expand greatly in the coming years and that limitation will no longer exist.
Just remember it's not the destination that matters, it's the Garys you meet along the way

1659201798530.png
I agree. This is one reason I love my Rivian. Everywhere I go is fun. Just wish it could be more places.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

LOL yourself. I don’t consider camping in a park adventuring. I have no problems driving to KOA or similar campgrounds. You just have no idea what I am talking about. Even as I wrote this I was afraid I should. Too many cheerleaders out there. I will look and see if my post can be deleted. Trolling is a problem on Facebook. I don’t need it here.

By the way, I wonder what you think shoving your boat under your vehicle has to do with anything.
Because everyone knows it fits on top just fine. Maybe you don't find kayaking much of an adventure though?

Staying places we can plug in overnight gets us further away from the currently sparse areas with DCFC, which we did on this trip. It's possible you don't have that option but if you won't consider it because of your pride, that's on you, not the Rivian, not the infrastructure.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I have now had my R1T for about two months.
It would help the rest of us what is mean by your thread title, if you actually explain why you say what you say.

At a minimum, provide your definition of adventure, since it can mean different things to people. Perhaps range of kind of things you'd like to do with the vehicle would put it into context.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

It would help the rest of us what is mean by your thread title, if you actually explain why you say what you say.

At a minimum, provide your definition of adventure, since it can mean different things to people. Perhaps range of kind of things you'd like to do with the vehicle would put it into context.
I’m pretty sure the post said a lot more originally and has just been edited to remove all the details due to people’s responses.

OP
OP

RonS

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Because everyone knows it fits on top just fine. Maybe you don't find kayaking much of an adventure though?

Staying places we can plug in overnight gets us further away from the currently sparse areas with DCFC, which we did on this trip. It's possible you don't have that option but if you won't consider it because of your pride, that's on you, not the Rivian, not the infrastructure.
You are correct in your assumption that shoving a kayak under a truck is not my idea of adventure. I think we have hit on our difference.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.