First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
100% behind company, but 11 months into ownership waiting on the kitchen I ordered, the sliders that are coming s00n, and a tonneau cover that I pray doesn't break the next time I open or god forbid, close.

Yep they got issues. Big issues and this forum is for fanbois.

Me, half full hoping they deliver on everything and someday they're back at the market cap of IPO days and deservedly so.
When two of the three of your complaints are about minor, limited use accessories that speaks more about how great the truck actually is then accomplishes your goal of dragging it. Thing is when someone posts a legitimate complaint it's very rarely dismissed or shit on but the truth of the matter is there aren't many legitimate complaints. It's all stuff like your comment talking about tank turn, or the camp kitchen or gear tunnel sliders. Is that really the best you can do guy?

If not having a camp kitchen is a big issue for you I strongly suggest re-evaluating your priorities in life.
Sponsored

C.Quest

First Name
Jac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE
Nice FT article - https://www.ft.com/content/ff4002a9-57a3-448c-af49-f665f38340ae

- Rivian's CFO expects the company to earn a gross profit in 2023...enough cash to maintain operations through the end of 2025
- Rivian has become a key player in the economy of Normal, Illinois
- Market capitalization has dropped from $162bn to $12.5bn, yikes!
- Targets to produce 50,000 vehicles in 2023
- plenty of shortfalls in Rivian's ability to meet expectations while the market sees increasing competition

I was thinking about why I don't have my pre-ordered Rivian and it's because so many changes were made that the product is no longer what I wanted when i engaged the pre-order (may 2019). I can't be alone in how I feel.

What's the plan here? Ive been a fan for so long but this is just isn't feeling recession proof (as a product or as an investment). It's hard to say when enough is enough; macro or micro indicators have all been pointing in the direction of parting ways.

Are others just riding this out (to what ever exit becomes available)?
Nice FT article - https://www.ft.com/content/ff4002a9-57a3-448c-af49-f665f38340ae

- Rivian's CFO expects the company to earn a gross profit in 2023...enough cash to maintain operations through the end of 2025
- Rivian has become a key player in the economy of Normal, Illinois
- Market capitalization has dropped from $162bn to $12.5bn, yikes!
- Targets to produce 50,000 vehicles in 2023
- plenty of shortfalls in Rivian's ability to meet expectations while the market sees increasing competition

I was thinking about why I don't have my pre-ordered Rivian and it's because so many changes were made that the product is no longer what I wanted when i engaged the pre-order (may 2019). I can't be alone in how I feel.

What's the plan here? Ive been a fan for so long but this is just isn't feeling recession proof (as a product or as an investment). It's hard to say when enough is enough; macro or micro indicators have all been pointing in the direction of parting ways.

Are others just riding this out (to what ever exit becomes available)?

Dreaming of driving my own Rivian got me through the 3 years of covid hell. I bought Rivian stock (when it was low), reserved a R1S and followed them closely. At last, in April I was notified my R1S quad will be ready this fall! 🤗
But I am now concerned about the quality and design of the R1S made this summer in the rush to push out as many trucks as possible to survive. It seems like a Hail Mary Pass to me.
They may get the trucks sold. But it is possible that Rivian top management has made too many mistakes and have already lost their competitive advantage- of time & money.
To succeed, they now have to come up from behind and will need the unique skills of a well seasoned CEO AND a new financial partner. They have neither. They just re-financed their existing debt at a much higher rate and added another $1.5B No doubt to afford to make their own newly invented cheaper moters that we all hope will be amazing and save the company. Meanwhile, competitor sales prices will decrease while Rivian's costs will escalate for warranty work on production push trucks made this summer, labor troubles in Normal, supply chain woes and construction of the new Georgia Plant.
But my biggest concerns are from photos of poor quality trucks on this forum and the R1S First Drive I took 3 weeks ago that was so shockingly horrible that the next morning I drove all the way to a Rivian Center to ask for a different truck to try out because they all couldn't be that noisy, uncomfortable and unstable on the road.
I was politely told Rivian makes "adventure vehicles" not quiet, comfortable luxury trucks. ☹ They had no other trucks for me to try out and I have not heard a word from anyone at Rivian. I guess that's it.
Time is now on my side. In two years, we will see what comes and what goes. I hope Rivian makes it. The good people of Normal are trying so hard and deserve the best managers and leaders.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
When two of the three of your complaints are about minor, limited use accessories that speaks more about how great the truck actually is then accomplishes your goal of dragging it. Thing is when someone posts a legitimate complaint it's very rarely dismissed or shit on but the truth of the matter is there aren't many legitimate complaints. It's all stuff like your comment talking about tank turn, or the camp kitchen or gear tunnel sliders. Is that really the best you can do guy?

If not having a camp kitchen is a big issue for you I strongly suggest re-evaluating your priorities in life.
Indicative of failure to deliver... Undebatable but im sure you'll debate that.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Indicative of failure to deliver... Undebatable but im sure you'll debate that.
It's indicative of you not having anything substantive to complain about.

Jamlank

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I dunno fellas. This vehicle is by far the best I’ve ever driven! Call me a fan boy. I love it. I think they’ll do just fine!

Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
Dreaming of driving my own Rivian got me through the 3 years of covid hell. I bought Rivian stock (when it was low), reserved a R1S and followed them closely. At last, in April I was notified my R1S quad will be ready this fall! 🤗
But I am now concerned about the quality and design of the R1S made this summer in the rush to push out as many trucks as possible to survive. It seems like a Hail Mary Pass to me.
They may get the trucks sold. But it is possible that Rivian top management has made too many mistakes and have already lost their competitive advantage- of time & money.
To succeed, they now have to come up from behind and will need the unique skills of a well seasoned CEO AND a new financial partner. They have neither. They just re-financed their existing debt at a much higher rate and added another $1.5B No doubt to afford to make their own newly invented cheaper moters that we all hope will be amazing and save the company. Meanwhile, competitor sales prices will decrease while Rivian's costs will escalate for warranty work on production push trucks made this summer, labor troubles in Normal, supply chain woes and construction of the new Georgia Plant.
But my biggest concerns are from photos of poor quality trucks on this forum and the R1S First Drive I took 3 weeks ago that was so shockingly horrible that the next morning I drove all the way to a Rivian Center to ask for a different truck to try out because they all couldn't be that noisy, uncomfortable and unstable on the road.
I was politely told Rivian makes "adventure vehicles" not quiet, comfortable luxury trucks. ☹ They had no other trucks for me to try out and I have not heard a word from anyone at Rivian. I guess that's it.
Time is now on my side. In two years, we will see what comes and what goes. I hope Rivian makes it. The good people of Normal are trying so hard and deserve the best managers and leaders.
I've had my R1T for over 6 months now, have owned two previous pickup trucks for work and over a dozen SUVs, minivans and cars for personal use over the last 45 years. The R1T is without question the best vehicle I've ever had. I will admit when I took my test drive I was not entirely sure I wanted to go ahead with the purchase, because the price was at the upper end of my comfort level and I didn't immediately get a wow feeling doing the test drive. But looking back, I realize I just wasn't getting a real feel for the vehicle in that short test drive. What really convinced me to go ahead were all the great reviews, which were well beyond what we see with most vehicle reviews, and deservedly so.

I realize there have been some people who have had Rivian vehicles with issues, but my truck has been great so far, build quality has been excellent and performance is terrific. More than just my own experience, I'd cite J.D. Power's survey of owners showing that the Rivian had by far the highest satisfaction level among all the different electric vehicle manufacturers.

I think what Rivian has been able to do with their first vehicles right out of the gate is remarkable, and made me enough of a believer that I bought more stock recently. Yes, they'll have to weather some economic head winds, especially interest rates, in the short term, but I think their long term outlook is excellent as long as they keep on the path they are on.

Last edited:

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
I've had my R1T for over 6 months now, have owned two previous pickup trucks for work and over a dozen SUVs, minivans and cars for personal use over the last 45 years. The R1T is without question the best vehicle I've ever had. I will admit when I took my test drive I was not entirely sure I wanted to go ahead with the purchase, because the price was at the upper end of my comfort level and I didn't immediately get a wow feeling doing the test drive. But looking back, I realize I just wasn't getting a real feel for the vehicle in that short test drive. What really convinced me to go ahead were all the great reviews, which were well beyond what we see with most vehicle reviews, and deservedly so.

I realize there have been some people who have had Rivian vehicles with issues, but my truck has been great so far, and , build quality has been excellent and performance is terrific. More than just my own experience, I'd cite J.D. Power's survey of owners showing that the Rivian had by far the highest satisfaction level among all the different electric vehicle manufacturers.

I think what Rivian has been able to do with their first vehicles right out of the gate is remarkable, and made me enough of a believer that I bought more stock recently. Yes, they'll have to weather some economic head winds, especially interest rates, in the short term, but I think their long term outlook is excellent as long as they keep on the path they are on.
Well said!
One day after driving the R1S I realized that I had finally found a vehicle that I enjoyed more than my first car, a 1988 FJ 60 Land Cruiser. I can't compliment the manufacturer enough. Sure there were petty imperfections but they were fixed promptly. It's such a blast to drive this thing

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I dunno fellas. This vehicle is by far the best I’ve ever driven! Call me a fan boy. I love it. I think they’ll do just fine!
Like Lucid they'll need to raise cash soon enough. Everyone can love the truck but they have a cash burn rate to deal with. The real shit show starts first quarter 2024 via tighter credit.

Prius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The car could do zero to 60 in 2 seconds, have 500 miles of range, seat 9 and it would mean nothing unless Rivian can sell it profitably. Currently market doubts their ability to do so.

The Tesla comparisons are pointless because Tesla benefited from a low interest rate regime, which we are no longer in.

If Rivian execs had half the confidence of people on this board, we wouldn't be seeing zero insider buys.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Like Lucid they'll need to raise cash soon enough. Everyone can love the truck but they have a cash burn rate to deal with. The real shit show starts first quarter 2024 via tighter credit.
Do you happen to think that this has become a somewhat stale narrative and it is fully baked into the current perception of the company? Go search for stories about Rivian and you can find this narrative 100x over. There are roughly 68 million shares short in RIV. The pessimism in the stock is almost as ridiculous as the fervor for it at the IPO. AMZN owns 20% and they haven't sold a share.
If they could, TOY would buy Rivian for $30/share in a heartbeat but they can't

Sponsored

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The car could do zero to 60 in 2 seconds, have 500 miles of range, seat 9 and it would mean nothing unless Rivian can sell it profitably. Currently market doubts their ability to do so.

The Tesla comparisons are pointless because Tesla benefited from a low interest rate regime, which we are no longer in.

If Rivian execs had half the confidence of people on this board, we wouldn't be seeing zero insider buys.
Insiders are net buyers of the stock over the last 3 months. The 12 month data are skewed from the Ford sale of !5 mil shares

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Do you happen to think that this has become a somewhat stale narrative and it is fully baked into the current perception of the company? Go search for stories about Rivian and you can find this narrative 100x over. There are roughly 68 million shares short in RIV. The pessimism in the stock is almost as ridiculous as the fervor for it at the IPO. AMZN owns 20% and they haven't sold a share.
If they could, TOY would buy Rivian for $30/share in a heartbeat but they can't
Shorts have been on the correct side of the trade. Time to call the spade a spade.

Without going into who is going to pick up RIVN, what is more important is the credit markets next year and how Rivian does a cash raise. That's going to be really something. It won't be 2021.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

The OP is not cut-out for a Rivian, his words speak volumes. That is okay, not everyone can work in start-ups, not everyone is a visionary and not everyone can articulate a thought that has any resemblance to truth whatsoever.

I love my R1T, it's cutting edge in every way and if you invest your hard earned cash in a start-up you have to see that all of his naysayings were a possibility, but so what. I knew all of this on Dec. 8 2018, when I laid eyes on a 60 person company with a truck that looks 95% the same as it did at the LA Auto Show when I saw it.

Rivian is absolutely going to survive and anyone who would say otherwise, doesn't understand what a revolution of engineering and passion went into the R1 series of vehicles. Yes, I have said, they might not make it, as the Rivian we see today, but they are far too evolved with far too great of a product, that someone with DEEP DEEP pockets won't acquire them and carry on the vision.....

That is just me.....in the meantime, I'm driving my Quad Motor, 800HP+ R1T with 27,000 miles and everyone loves it, asks about it, wants one. I went into this vision knowing what I was getting and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

Look at that truck (it's mine). It's a work of art and vision!!

Rivian R1T R1S Not looking too good for continued operations beyond 2025 IMG_0268

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
To the OP and others, if your not comfortable with owning a vehicle from a start-up that's understandable, it's not for everyone. What I don't understand is this aversion to Rivian for de-featuring. It's only logical if you are expecting to buy a competing vehicle with a camp kitchen, powered rigid tonneau cover, tank turn, electrochromatic glass roof or whatever removed feature that is the sticking point. To focus on these and ignore the amazing suspension system, quad motor performance, gear tunnel, versatility is baffling to me. I've had my R1T for coming up on a year now and I'm considering throwing it a birthday party... never had that thought with any other vehicle I've owned.
Sponsored