First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I was politely told Rivian makes "adventure vehicles" not quiet, comfortable luxury trucks. ☹ They had no other trucks for me to try out and I have not heard a word from anyone at Rivian. I guess that's it.
This luxury topic has been discussed here and on other forums by many people. Despite what people want to believe, Rivian is not being marketed or sold as a luxury vehicle. People incorrectly equate price to luxury. If it's $100k it has to be a luxury vehicle and compete feature for feature with other $100k vehicles, right?

Wrong.

Check out the Rivian web site. You won't find a single reference to it being a luxury vehicle. People might want it to be, they might read 3rd party reviews from numerous media sources that compare it to luxury vehicles, call it a luxury vehicle, etc. but Rivian never has and is not positioning it as a luxury vehicle. Who knows better - the manufacturer or the media?
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
OP has a legitimate question for those on the fence. I'm in the same straddle position. The options and vehicle has changed so much. I'm sure the fanbois will be irritated because they won't accept anything negative but in the end to each his own on what to do with their hard earned cash. I even have a service center just a few miles up the street. But I'm not going to put up with some of the issues I've seen some owners post. And it sounds like a crap shoot if you have a windy noise window, bad alignment, steering and suspension issues. The plus side is that my early slot will mean someone moves up the chain if I pull out so don't hate on me as well. I prefer to hear the good and bad, CNN and FOX and make my own decision. My rant is that a lot of forums turn into cheer leading with "Don't you dare throw shade on my car/company". I say let the chips fall where they may, believe your eyes not the dogma of the cult. Best of luck to the company. Ignore if you like and say good riddance. I'll probably be gone soon anyways. I don't know. Sorry to be dark.
Don't confuse being a "fanbois" with calling out people who come here and state innaccurate or incorrect information, or conveniently ignore important facts to bolster their position. The biggest one is the complaining about Rivian changing features from product announcement to today. We all knew this was a startup when we signed on, and it was stated clearly in the agreement we all signed that features could change. Other manufacturers change some specs every model year. We also knew that Service Centers would be few and far between in the early days. That's early adopter territory that we all knowingly agreed to, or should have known by reading the agreement. But A LOT of people clicked to reserve a Rivian like they were buying movie on Amazon without reading the agreement or understanding any of this.

If you don't like the fact that the options have changed or don't meet your expectations, no problem, that's understandable and your choice to move on is fine. But when some come here and rant about Rivian intentionally screwing people it is going to get called out, not because of being a fanbois, but because they are conveniently ignoring a fundamental fact - they agreed to all of this in writing.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
I have no idea when the stock will do what traders/investors want it to do. I bought shares at the IPO and haven't sold a single one though. Also bought Uber and Airbnb shortly after their IPOs and still holding. All of these companies are really good at what they do. And none of them have any real new competition coming. There won't be another major car company after Rivian for a while. Especially not in a non-zero interest rate and supply constrained economy.

The product itself is the best on the market. There is no truck (EV or ICE) that is as good as what Rivian is producing. They keep doing that, get better at pumping them out, and hopefully win the stupid lawsuits in GA that have tried to derail their second plant and they will be fine for the long run.

Never forget Amazon was at one point down 90% from its IPO price. Not saying Rivian stock will do what Amazon did. But good companies, in their growth stages during bear markets can certainly see their shares get crushed.

Just keep making an amazing product and long term they will do well.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Jumping in here...

I spent a week with a R1T since my S was at the SC getting worked on from delivery...minor panel gaps and wheel alignment.

Coming at this from a pragmatic POV - Rivian is absolutely going to make it. Both vehicles are outstanding and quite frankly everyone that I've come across (family and friends) want one after they take my ride for a spin...

Shouldn't that be considered as evidence of legit feedback from "non-fanboi" 'folks who would buy a Rivian in a heartbeat if there weren't a supply issue.

They are making a great product and the demand is REAL...with those two points why would we ever think Rivian WON'T make it?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is this shill day over on the Rivian forums? I see all the short sellers and hedge fund douche bros are trolling the forum today trying to lower the stock price. Go away guy. Nothing in this article is news.
The Ocean forums too. Fisker literally just delivered the first two vehicles over the weekend, earnings release this morning, stock went down 15% in PM. It's all an attempt to get retail people to sell their stocks so the shorts can buy back at a profit. It's disgusting.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is that really the best you can do guy?
Maybe he could catch his foot on his accelerator and snap it off so we have more than just one of those complaints.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The Ocean forums too. Fisker literally just delivered the first two vehicles over the weekend, earnings release this morning, stock went down 15% in PM. It's all an attempt to get retail people to sell their stocks so the shorts can buy back at a profit. It's disgusting.
It doesn’t surprise me. This isn’t the first time low post count Wall St shills have invaded a forum to manipulate stock prices. It isn’t even the first time they’ve invaded this forum. My advice to anyone trying to invest in the market is lots of the “analyst” predictions, people like Jim Cramer and forum shills aren’t going to post what’s in your best interest.

When there are irrational complaints Like not having a camp kitchen being indicative of failure or I didn’t see enough Rivian’s on my way to work this morning and therefore Rivian is failing it’s pretty obvious to me someone is pushing an agenda.

They label anyone who pushes back on this utter nonsense as a fanboy simply because they don’t have any solid ground for their complaints.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

But A LOT of people clicked to reserve a Rivian like they were buying movie on Amazon without reading the agreement or understanding any of this.
I think some people click to reserve a Rivian like they were buying a Tesla, too. I don’t mean buying a Tesla from their startup years, either. They are comparing Rivian to Tesla of today. Since Tesla has been producing vehicles longer, has more service centers, and has a much larger charging network, there is a high likelihood of unmet expectations.

I think that the quality of Rivian vehicles actually contributes to this problem, if other people react the same way I did. The first time I got close to a production R1T at the Venice Hub, my brain kept telling me that the vehicle was way too good to be the first product from a startup. Sitting inside it only reinforced that feeling. It’s very easy to convince yourself that it is fair to compare Rivian to established vehicle makers, but it really isn’t.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
hit and run by the OP...

Sponsored

Prius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That’s 78k more than your original claim of zero isn’t it?
You're talking about $1 million in shares against a market cap of 12 billion. So 0.0083%, let's round up to .01% for such a strong showing of confidence from management.

Rivian has average daily volume of 28 million shares traded, 78k shares would be .27% of daily trading volume. LOL

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
OP forgets that the R1T/R1S is just the beginning, not the end of their plans.

EDV, Fleet OS, future software as a service plans, nationwide charging infrastructure, a second plant in Georgia, scouting plant locations in Europe, R2 and R3 design and eventual production.

They also are ramping up 3 product lines, not 1. The picture looks out of focus for most, but then again most people can't see beyond the tip of their nose. Get in your truck and enjoy the hell out of it, and pick up shares every time they dip, because they are basically free right now.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
This isn't going to be a straight and narrow path. I don't know anything about running a car company but I can only assume based on the most recent successful example (Tesla) that in the best case there are going to be some very rocky roads over the next 12-18 months.

The biggest chance for success is if Rivian can reach R2 production. In order to do that, they are going to have to prove to investors that there is a large potential demand for their products.

I suspect we will get high-level details and maybe even a prototype later this year of R2. This is critical. Reception to this will tell us (and investors) if they have a solid chance.

I think the R2 will be the electric version of the Bronco Sport basically.
  • Single motor variant available
  • Far more simplistic interior
  • total length of around 180 inches
  • 250 mile base range, with a 300 mile range version
  • 70-75kWh base pack, LFP likely
  • Priced below $60k, maybe as low as $45k.
People seem to really love the bronco sport. If Rivian can keep the price below $50k post tax credit, it could sell a ton.

On the commercial side, one huge TBD based on the Amazon deal and selling to others. This could really help stabilize the company and is an x-factor here.

All in all, I believe the initial reception for Rivian has been pretty damn good. Anecdotally, my personal experience is that everyone loves the truck, including people in rural areas of Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas that I have had come up to me. The deal breaker for them is the price.

Last Note:

Lucid and Rivian are not having the same problems at this point. Lucid, from what we can tell, is having a really difficult time stirring up demand for their products. It seems it has been that way since the beginning. They have emailed and called me so many times. It's crazy.

Rivian is moreso having an issue at this point of, OK, we are selling products but not making enough money on each one yet. This is a different scenario. I do fear that Lucid probably won't be around in 2025 or 2026.

Last edited:

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
They label anyone who pushes back on this utter nonsense as a fanboy simply because they don’t have any solid ground for their complaints.
+1

Clear case of argumentum ad hominem: attack the person when you have no substance with which to attack the argument.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
[QUOTE="NineElectrics, post: 329132, member: 7972"
EVs just aren’t hard to make. Maybe profitably.
[/QUOTE]
Can you site any manufacturer that is making it look easy? I'm struggling to find context that the above statement proves true.
Sponsored