Sponsored

Not liking one pedal driving

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
I switch between EVs and my ICE full size truck. I like coasting in the truck... but hate keeping my foot on the brake at stoplights.

I think there are some ICE vehicles from Hyundai or Kia that have stop hold... allows you to take your foot off the brake at a stop.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

FourJo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
For me, the (large) amount of travel in the accelerator is what makes R1T OPD so comfortable.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think there are some ICE vehicles from Hyundai or Kia that have stop hold... allows you to take your foot off the brake at a stop.
It’s become a common feature. I know Honda and Volvo offer it, too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
In my R1T, I'm completely comfortable with even the heavy regen setting. I'm sure that trying to live with the high regen of the Tesla trained me for the R1T's relative lower regen feel.
Interesting. I've never driven a MY but with the MX it's exactly the opposite. The Rivian regen is much more aggressive in the MX - at least that's my opinion and I have seen others here post the same. I remember being quite disappointed in the X's regen when I first got it and I think they have goosed it up (via OTA) becuse at this point it seems quite adequate (or I have learned to live with it).

It is, of course, important that we are comfortable with the driving aspect of OPD but it is aslo important to remember what it is there for and that is to recover energy. We went for a drive in the country yesterday which covered 200 miles of everything from highspeed to stuck in traffic freeway to dirt roads. I was quite surprised to find the day's average consumption was 389 Wh/mi in all purpose mode.

A final note for those who want to "coast": There is a fiducial mark on the power meter at about 4 o'clock. The power meter indicates power being taken by the length of a curved bar that originates at this fiducial mark and lengthens in the anti clockwise direction and by a bar of a different color that grows from the fiducial mark in the clockwise direction as energy is returned to the battery. When at 0 (coasting) neither bar is there and the fiducial mark appears. Thus to coast just feather the pedal to make the fiducial mark disappear. Note to Rivian: please add and label additional fiduciary marks at, say, 50, 100, 150, -50 ans -100 kW.

SmorOfNaivir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Ford Maverick Lariat

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

For me, the (large) amount of travel in the accelerator is what makes R1T OPD so comfortable.
I totally agree! The pedal sensitivity of the R1T is spot on.

OPD in my EV6 is good but not quite aggressive enough when needed.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
This thread has been in my head while I waited for my truck. My first EV so I was curious to see how it felt for me and how long it took to adapt. The adapting curve was seconds, probably because it was expected.

I didn't read every reply so don't know if it's been said, but I told my wife it kind of feels like my ICE car did when I would accidentally leave the emergency brake on and start driving it.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My only experience with an EV was driving a Model Y from Miami to Orlando for a family trip. I found the R1T regen to be perfect for one pedal driving on my first mile drive and was quick to figure out modulation response from the pedal. I was worried about it going in based on comments like yours about it being aggressive but was relieved to find it worked just as needed. No issues coming to a smooth and gradual stop. I'm anal about driving dynamics for passengers as I get sick from riding with people who ride the brakes and accelerator.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
My Rivian is my first EV but I don't like the implementation of the regen braking much either. I got used to it at stop signs and such pretty quickly but I found that putting it in cruise control is the only way that it is comfortable to drive on the highway or country roads where it automatically slows down because of a car in front but that takes away from the experience of driving is only a hack for a problem imo.

I wanted to see what other ev's felt like so I went up and drove a Kia EV6 today. What a difference. The strongest setting was somehwat less than the standard setting on the Rivian but more importantly it had 5 levels of adjustment and - and the adjustment was done with paddle shifters right on the steering wheel so you could change it in a second. There was even an off altogether setting that when activated felt like it was in cruise control. It would drop a mile per hour every couple of seconds which felt like the equivalent of putting your ICE car in neutral. With the paddle shift setup I found I could even click one paddle up a level or two instantly when I wanted to slow down like downshifting an old car with a clutch. After driving the EV6 I believe I will buy one as the driving experience was that much better.

I'm sure people will comment about the dangers and disadvantages to lower or no regen but on a flat piece of road it is transformative to the driving experience.
I believe Rivian which has done so many innovative things should think about this and see what can be done within the confines of their 7000 lb truck soon please as it is kind of game changer for me.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

My Rivian is my first EV but I don't like the implementation of the regen braking much either. I got used to it at stop signs and such pretty quickly but I found that putting it in cruise control is the only way that it is comfortable to drive on the highway or country roads where it automatically slows down because of a car in front but that takes away from the experience of driving is only a hack for a problem imo.

I wanted to see what other ev's felt like so I went up and drove a Kia EV6 today. What a difference. After driving the EV6 I believe I will buy one as the driving experience was that much better.

I believe Rivian which has done so many innovative things should think about this and see what can be done within the confines of their 7000 lb truck soon please as it is kind of game changer for me.
I'll give you $80K for your R1T so you can enjoy your Kia ;).....

Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I don't believe the Kia would be quite as good off-road LOL. Anyway I've got two offers at $20K higher than that.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I don't believe the Kia would be quite as good off-road LOL. Anyway I've got two offers at $20K higher than that.
Take the offer!!! KIA is waiting for you.....

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Honestly I enjoyed having the ability it turn it off in the Id.4. rivian's 1 pedal driving is much better, but sometimes it's nice to coast on the highway, especially downhills in the mountains. And "matching your deceleration with the power meter" is not the same as coasting.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
sometimes it's nice to coast on the highway, especially downhills in the mountains. And "matching your deceleration with the power meter" is not the same as coasting.
No, indeed it isn't. When coasting downhill the vehicle will either speed up or slow down until drag, rolling resistance etc exactly balance m*g*sin(alpha) i.e. the driver doesn't have control of the speed. But if coasting is what you want to do for some reason, have at it.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I have my R1T set to high and live the OPD. I drove my wife’s XC40 Recharge last night and thought how weak the Regen was, but in reality it was much stronger than my M3 before. You definitely quickly get used to the level of the Regen of the vehicle you are driving.
Sponsored