Sponsored

Normal Plant Satellite Images

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Lol. That’s quite the pivot from engineering.
What can I say other than that Im’m a true modern Renaissance man capable of boring people to death with talk about microcontrollers and fiduciary duties. Well, microcontrollers that existed 20 years ago anyway.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
...Or… someone who happens to fly in the area could take a passenger with a camera on a general aviation flight to BMI on a day that has the factory in the approach or departure path. Heheh
If I were in the area, I'd 100% do this. Going on photographic tours with my wife as the camera holding passenger is basically the primary use of my ticket. :)

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Interesting!

I'm a private pilot, so I'm familiar with airspace from the manned perspective.

And at least one point while I was studying for the commercial drone license (Which I haven't taken yet) you'd need approval of ATC for any operations inside controlled airspace.

Maybe things have changed.

Regardless, whether it's the entire class D veil or just "extended runway" like DJI suggests, seems like the Rivian plant is inside it!

---

*EDIT:

Indeed, drone flight is prohibited by default inside controlled airspace.
But the FAA has a straightforward system - LAANC - setup to request approval to fly in such airspace.

What you linked to was DJI's own geo-fence map of where they won't allow their drones to fly, based on GPS, without you first performing some sort of unlock (either a self-certification or copying over your LAANC approval)

That's what you linked to.

In other words, a DJI drone near the Rivian factory *won't even takeoff* without you taking additional steps to convince DJI you have FAA approval.

More here.
I live in controlled airspace and have a drone. There is a B4UFly app I use to determine if drone flight is authorized. You can also request permission to fly by submitting a request through the Aloft app. Usually requires you to establish a flight ceiling and date and time of flight. Approval or denial was pretty quick when I used it before. Was taking pictures of a friend's house.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Then we just need a fan of Rivian with a plane and pilots license to do a flyover. Anyone?
Agree! It doesn't take rocket science to get a pic. Just a small private plane or helicopter!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Good thought, but now I’m thinking we start a GoFundMe campaign, and send the good folks @RivianStories to the factory in a helicopter for an overhead view to get our answer. It would make for a great video, and probably cost less than the $1k satellite image…
Lol, shultzy is the only one in IL. It would be really cool if someone here had access to some good, current GPS images, but not sure we'd see much.

I heard a rumor there might be tent(s) onsite, but GPS would only confirm their existence & not how many vehicles there might be in them.

We're almost there, y'all! Hang in there a few more weeks.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Lol, shultzy is the only one in IL. It would be really cool if someone here had access to some good, current GPS images, but not sure we'd see much.

I heard a rumor there might be tent(s) onsite, but GPS would only confirm their existence & not how many vehicles there might be in them.

Im asking some friends as NGA to see if they can do a data pull for me lol

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7

Agreed, patience - and good things come to those that wait. But, I still believe this would be an epic journey to see via helicopter...

Rivian R1T R1S Normal Plant Satellite Images Messages Image(1602972293)

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Agreed, patience - and good things come to those that wait. But, I still believe this would be an epic journey to see via helicopter...

Messages Image(1602972293).png
Your choice of heads to bodies was perfect! "Someone" is going to be pissed.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Disclaimer... no head to body choices were made by be. I ran it through a google computer algorithm which then were chosen at random.

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
As an Air Traffic Controller who handles flights into and out of LGA in NYC, I would like to commend ALL of you for caring about rules. ?

Pilot reports of near misses with drones around Manhattan (regularly up to 4000ft) are a weekly occurrence. People don’t care. They just do whatever they want. And there is no feasible way to stop them or to figure out who they are.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've been lurking for some time and finally signed up as I thought I might have something worth contributing.

I believe someone said earlier in this thread to check the ESA database for satellite photos. Extremely low resolution picture from yesterday from the Sentinal satellite ...but probably good enough to see that there isn't hundreds or thousands of cars lined up ready to get on a train (i.e. the North lot appears to be a solid white color compared to the employee parking lots to the West where you can make out different care colors).
ESA Observer - Rivian

Just remember, it'll be so0n

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Messages Image(1602972293).png
Absolutely hilarious, now @opnwide has some competition.

Disclaimer... no head to body choices were made by be. I ran it through a google computer algorithm which then were chosen at random.
Looks like it chose fairly wisely. I don't know if Jimmy or Kyle is taller, but I'm lovin' the tights on @jimcgov3 !

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Looks like it chose fairly wisely. I don't know if Jimmy or Kyle is taller, but I'm lovin' the tights on @jimcgov3 !
@skyote , I think they're workout pants... @jimcgov3 , I believe in you, and know that you're the one that can get us the flyover footage...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Not to name names, but are you referencing the individual that looks like the natural lighting is perfectly hitting the right side of his head? You know, the one in the middle, with the Ocean Coast sunglasses in his left hand? ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I've been lurking for some time and finally signed up as I thought I might have something worth contributing.

I believe someone said earlier in this thread to check the ESA database for satellite photos. Extremely low resolution picture from yesterday from the Sentinal satellite ...but probably good enough to see that there isn't hundreds or thousands of cars lined up ready to get on a train (i.e. the North lot appears to be a solid white color compared to the employee parking lots to the West where you can make out different care colors).
ESA Observer - Rivian

Just remember, it'll be so0n
That was me. Thanks! We could just run an insurance routine and set an alarm for a change in elevation change ~75".?
Sponsored