First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
I am supposed to get my Rivian next week, it will be my first EV, I drive 110 miles round trip to work 4 days a week . I stay there 9 hours . I want to charge the truck at work ( energy is cheaper + work will pay for it ) but I have to install charger or plug outside by the back door and I am afraid someone will tamper with the wall charger. there is a back door but I do not want to keep the door open all time when I am charging. and if i install just plug i have to depend on the portable charger .
I ordered the $500 rivian wall charger but I am thinking about cancelling that order !

suggestions .... advices !!
Sponsored

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
How fast would you be charging at work? 110V or 240V?
At 110V, expect 0.6 miles per hour charge (useless)

OP
OP

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
PHARMACIST

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Get a charger that has access control if you don't want someone to steal electricity.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What makes you think someone will tamper with the charger hidden on the back of a commercial building? People all over the country have chargers like that installed outside on their garages and carports and I don’t think I’ve even heard of one story of a charger being messed with. I would just go ahead and install it outside and enjoy your convenient work charging!

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Build a simple birdhouse like box around with plywood. Make a door and put a padlock on it.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Simple Nema 14_50....more than enough range for your daily needs.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
If you charge inside a garage or covered area and don't worry about people touching your stuff, then a NEMA 14-50 outlet works just fine. Pick up a third party charger that can deliver 40 Amps to your truck, keep the included mobile charger (32A max) as a spare. A dedicated wall charger can get you up to 48 Amps of charging, on a 60A circuit. It is 20% faster... And you'll spend more for the charger unit. This is the way to go if you really want those extra 8 Amps (not really necessary) or if you want to track and manage charging via an app. I recommend this setup if you're charging outdoors since the units are weather rated and you can also control access if in a spot that might be accessible to others. Stealing charging is not really a thing though...

Rivian's charger looks good... Otherwise the ChargePoint Home Flex or JuiceBox 48 are good choices. There's also a 48A unit from WallBox. Lots of choices out there that top out at 40A. Some Level-2 chargers can provide even more power, but at this time are not usable by the Rivian or most other EVs.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Install a 240 plug outside and use the mobile charger at work and install the Rivian charger at home so you have it when you need it. Assuming you don't want to permanently install a Rivian charger at work.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Install a 240 plug outside and use the mobile charger at work and install the Rivian charger at home so you have it when you need it. Assuming you don't want to permanently install a Rivian charger at work.
OP, if you go this route and regularly disconnect the mobile charger every day, you need to make sure you have a heavier duty outlet than the leviton ones you can get from home depot. I'd recommend something like the Hubble HBL9450A.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
PHARMACIST
What makes you think someone will tamper with the charger hidden on the back of a commercial building? People all over the country have chargers like that installed outside on their garages and carports and I don’t think I’ve even heard of one story of a charger being messed with. I would just go ahead and install it outside and enjoy your convenient work charging!
I do not know , may be because I see some dumpster diver by the back door, crazy world we live in

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I do not know , may be because I see some dumpster diver by the back door, crazy world we live in
It is a crazy world, indeed. Obviously it’s possible. I guess my thought would be if someone’s life is such that climbing into dumpsters is required for survival, they might have bigger problems than to focus on the high voltage cable sticking out of your wall.

We have a dumpster diver that stops by our business too. I tried to warn him that we put all the dog poop from each day in there. He laughed, then said he’d seen worse…. :asshat:All he takes is aluminum cans, so now we leave them in a bag for him next to the disgusting dumpster.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I have the same scenario and this is what I did. I drive 135miles/day charge while at my office for free and only top off on the weekend (Sunday evening) if needed. I installed a Emporia Energy 48A Level 2 charger and its fantastic. https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/collections/ev-chargers/products/smart-home-ev-charger-ul-listed

The app is great and you can gets all sorts of data from it if you wish. In addition, you able to setup a charging schedule that when enabled will prevent anyone from using the charger outside of that schedule. You can also pause the charger when you are not using to to prevent unwanted users. All of this is done in the app which is fantastic!

Have it hardwired on a 60a breaker / 220V for the full 48a charging which needs to be unlocked via the app using your smartphone and a wifi connection. The default is 40a.

My unit is installed inside the building to keep it out of the weather but it's UL rated for all weather types too. I am using a simple RV port pass through to run the cable through the wall and keep critters out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
PHARMACIST
I have the same scenario and this is what I did. I drive 135miles/day charge while at my office for free and only top off on the weekend (Sunday evening) if needed. I installed a Emporia Energy 48A Level 2 charger and its fantastic. https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/collections/ev-chargers/products/smart-home-ev-charger-ul-listed

The app is great and you can gets all sorts of data from it if you wish. In addition, you able to setup a charging schedule that when enabled will prevent anyone from using the charger outside of that schedule. You can also pause the charger when you are not using to to prevent unwanted users. All of this is done in the app which is fantastic!

Have it hardwired on a 60a breaker / 220V for the full 48a charging which needs to be unlocked via the app using your smartphone and a wifi connection. The default is 40a.

My unit is installed inside the building to keep it out of the weather but it's UL rated for all weather types too. I am using a simple RV port pass through to run the cable through the wall and keep critters out.
Great Idea !! that exactly what I was looking for ! but I ordered the Rivian wall charger , Is the Emporia better charger ?

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Great Idea !! that exactly what I was looking for ! but I ordered the Rivian wall charger , Is the Emporia better charger ?
Is it better? I would say yes EMPORIA is better in the features department, app content, flexibility, cost and more...

The only thing the Rivian wall charger has going for it is its looks. The tech will come later, I hope...
Sponsored