Non-Rivian rooftop tents

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Not sure what you mean.

The tent brackets for the X-Cover 2.0 Mini that I ordered will attach to rails up to 5" wide and 2" tall that is what I was referring to. The cross bar spread has to be between 22" and 50" so the R1Ts 33" are also fine. The static weight of the tent is 119lbs which is well under the 250 lbs that the bars can support. So I don't see any reason why it won't fit.
Sorry, my misunderstanding. I agree! It appears to fit based on those specs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Not sure how soon I will get my tent but this is what I ordered.

https://ikamper.com/products/x-cover-2-0-mini/

If you watch the video you can see how their included mounts work, my expectation is that it should work fine. The manual lists minimum mounting width for the cross bars but doesnā€™t specify a max crossbar width.

Edit: I got this response from iKamper: ā€œThe X-Cover 2.0 Mini will come with the new 3.0 mounting brackets, which fit crossbars up to 5" wide x 2" tall.ā€

EC128D60-F090-479C-8880-19C3E33E9673.png
Youā€™ll have to let us know when you get it and how it fits. This appears to be one of the few, if not the only one, that will fit the Rivian crossbars without special modification. Iā€™ve almost placed an order for this one and/or the X-Cover 2.0 several times over the last couple of days, but I really want to see how it works out for you.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Youā€™ll have to let us know when you get it and how it fits. This appears to be one of the few, if not the only one, that will fit the Rivian crossbars without special modification. Iā€™ve almost placed an order for this one and/or the X-Cover 2.0 several times over the last couple of days, but I really want to see how it works out for you.
I will, sounds like it wonā€™t ship until Mid May :(

OP
OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I will, sounds like it wonā€™t ship until Mid May :(
That sucks. I kind of thought that might be the case, and thatā€™s why Iā€˜ve been ready to pull the trigger!

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I was at the Denver Service Center this afternoon and there were 2 R1Ts with Smittybilt tents on them. I couldn't tell tent models though.

Sponsored

BCinOC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Woodworker
I picked up the Smittybilt 2783 a couple of weeks ago and it fits our R1T perfectly. Ordered brand new off of eBay for just over $1,100 with free shipping. Considerably less expensive than the Yakima.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I'm also contemplating if the Yakima is the best option.
I think the iKamper Skycamp 3.0 Rooftop Tent might be better, but wonder if it'll be an issue if it sticks out past the bed about 8".
Was looking at the same, but don't really want one projecting past the rear of the truck. But the two person version the 3.0 mini, while it fits, only being a two person kinda sucks.

Choices... I appreciate that they are hard shell and lower profile (better aero šŸ‘Œ) and saw one on a Forester with a light bar the other day and it looked decent.

Rivian R1T R1S Non-Rivian rooftop tents 20220413_162339

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Got my Thule tepui kukenam 3 up today. Seems to fit pretty good but might have to make some adjustments once we try to completely unpack it.
Rivian R1T R1S Non-Rivian rooftop tents PXL_20220418_000206504

Rivian R1T R1S Non-Rivian rooftop tents PXL_20220418_001808086

OP
OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Got my Thule tepui kukenam 3 up today. Seems to fit pretty good but might have to make some adjustments once we try to completely unpack it.
PXL_20220418_000206504.jpg

PXL_20220418_001808086.jpg
Thanks for the pics! Any issues with the Thule mounts on the Rivian bars? Unfortunately my crossbars arenā€™t locking into place and so Iā€™m waiting on mobile service to adjust them, but Iā€˜m ready to order a RTT soon!

Is this the one you ordered?
Thule Tent

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for the pics! Any issues with the Thule mounts on the Rivian bars? Unfortunately my crossbars arenā€™t locking into place and so Iā€™m waiting on mobile service to adjust them, but Iā€˜m ready to order a RTT soon!

Is this the one you ordered?
Thule Tent
It's the ruggedized version.

No issues using the mounts that came with it. Would work better if the holes were maybe 1/4" spaced farther apart, but it works as is.

Haven't taken a drive with it yet so we shall see how that goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It's the ruggedized version.

No issues using the mounts that came with it. Would work better if the holes were maybe 1/4" spaced farther apart, but it works as is.

Haven't taken a drive with it yet so we shall see how that goes.
Thanks!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Expected consequence: really difficult to tell if there is anything behind the truck while also having a bike rack on it. Might look into an additional camera to be able to relocate to behind the rack.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

How is it getting the RTT on and off? How many people did you need to do that? I am concerned about weight/size in lifting one of these up, even if it is just over the bed.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How is it getting the RTT on and off? How many people did you need to do that? I am concerned about weight/size in lifting one of these up, even if it is just over the bed.
This one is on the heavy side, was able to lift it with two people. Bed height might be easier than the full-on roof, but it's still high enough off the ground to require repositioning hands to lift higher. Thule says this one is 162 lbs.

I am working on a pulley system in my garage to be able to unload it myself, just haven't completed it yet.

Reactions: Zac

Rasputin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KTM, Vespa
Was out at a service center and saw this earlier today. Thought I would finally join and contribute!

Rivian R1T R1S Non-Rivian rooftop tents 307E8B9C-BA02-4DE8-94A6-55F050A7BFF3

Rivian R1T R1S Non-Rivian rooftop tents 456B3D45-3494-4B15-8EC7-89CC46550722

Rivian R1T R1S Non-Rivian rooftop tents DFE27C3D-67C2-47BD-B05F-6E470979113D
Sponsored